NGD: Epiphone Firebird

CicadaSilence

• Members

Got this guy in the mail last night, right before band rehearsal.

Let me preface this by saying that I've been a die-hard "Fender-camp" guy for years; I like 25.5" scale necks and single coils. I also NEED a damn whammy bar.

I've always liked the look of Firebirds, though, and I found a pretty good price on this one whilst trolling fleabay. I jumped on it, and I'm glad I did.

The neck is awesome, and it turns out the 24.75 scale doesn't bother me at all. The neck radius is nice and flat, which I like. Radius is a big deal to me; I hate that fizzy, choked-out sound that rounder radii can cause on string bends. Since I like low action, that's usually a conundrum. Fretwork is spectacular.

The Steinberger gearless tuners are cool, but I'm a little apprehensive about them in the long run. You have to clamp them HARD to prevent string slippage. After 10 minutes, a bruised thumb and index finger, and ten + tries to tune the high e without slippage, I had to use a pair of pliers with a paper towel wrapped around the clamp knob. I'm a little worried about live string changes for this reason. I really like the tuning stability and response once you get 'em clamped tight enough. Time will tell, I guess.

I've been neck bending to simulate a whammy bar, but I don't like doing that, especially on set neck instruments. I may invest in a Stetsbar in the near future, maybe after Giftmas.

The one thing I can't get around are the pickups. They're pretty shit, honestly. Very muffy, woolly, almost no definition. I've played on quality humbuckers, and I don't care for the attack transients on the lower strings, especially when playing clean. I've never heard a humbucker bite or growl like single coils; they kinda grunt, to my ears. The stock Epi humbuckers are even worse: pure mush. And homey don't play dat.

I'm looking at a set of Fralin Twangmasters and/or P92s. Single coil/P90 tones without ANY hum at all?! Fuck yeah. Again, maybe after the Giftmas season has come and gone.

Anyhow, here it is in all it's Tobacco Burst (?) glory:

Firebird.jpg

• Members

I had the Faded Cherry one for a while. The tuning was a never ending problem, the pickups did indeed sound muffled, and it is very top heavy (unbalanced when standing). But I still have my $200 Squier Tele.
:thu:

I agree; it's a very neck heavy guitar with the neck end strap button in the stock position, but I moved it to the back of the body, behind the neck joint, and now it balances just fine. Also, I've got nothing but love for cheapo Squiers. My favorite guitar is a Galactic Purple Squier strat I got for $179. :D

• Members

I have a red one with the trem arm... I'm actually the opposite: I don't care for single coils, but the mini-HBs can get that sound enough to satisfy my...

I do kinda wish mine was the tobacco burst though :... oh well, cosmetics... sounds/plays great (minus neck-dive)...

Happy NGD!

Archived