OT: Any fans of the Japanese band Mono?

MakuseruSukotto

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So their new album; Hymn to the Immortal Wind, which was set for release in March, was leaked on the 5th.

I got it today, starting to listen to it now. So far it seems like its going to be really good.

They released a video a little while ago for "Follow the Map," and it can be found on YouTube, so check that out if you haven't seen it.

got a link to download????

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

saw them a few days ago. gear wise it's all the same except Yoda has a Boss Fender Deluxe pedal where his DS-1 was... old pic:

IMGP2583a.jpg

sounded like he was using it as a clean boost, possibly adding reverb, but it's hard to tell when you're 3 foot away from a guy playing a Jazzmaster through a bunch of delays into a Fender Twin pointing right at your face. :lol:

also, the Rat has a blue led. not sure if that's been done since last tour.. :idk:

• Members
saw them a few days ago. gear wise it's all the same except Yoda has a Boss Fender Deluxe pedal where his DS-1 was... old pic:

IMGP2583a.jpg

sounded like he was using it as a clean boost, possibly adding reverb, but it's hard to tell when you're 3 foot away from a guy playing a Jazzmaster through a bunch of delays into a Fender Twin pointing right at your face.
:lol:

also, the Rat has a blue led. not sure if that's been done since last tour..
:idk:

What was Taka using? Same old stuff?

How was the show?

• Members

Maaaaaaaaaaan, Nothing will touch You Are There. It's just perfect.

I've never been a big fan of YAT. Walking Cloud and Palmless Prayer were my favorite until Hymn, but I think I just like the denser sound of Immortal Hymn, it's probably the best use of strings I've heard since Godspeed or Samsa (and Palmless). It's obvious they're getting more interested in New Classical compositions with the post-rock embedded in there instead of out front.

• Members
What was Taka using? Same old stuff?

How was the show?

actually, looking at this pic:
IMGP2584a.jpg

it was a little different..

bottom right was another LS-2, which sounded like he was adding some of the marshall to his clean sound. like a clean/overdriven mix for rocking quite hard but without the fabtone/marshall innihilation combo - which he hits both the far left LS-2 and fabtone at the same time.

Also had an extra DD-3 set for longer delay (than the main delay at centre bottom) that he was using a lot. if my memory serves me right it was in the longest mode with the delay time at noonish. it was in the upper half, and i think it was sat where the RV-5 is in the above pic, because i only remember seeing he had an RV-3. which was on at all times. as was Yoda's.

i'll try and get my friend to send me the pics he took on his phone. it might clear it up..

• Members

Bump for a new band (to me)! Love em! New album is spectacular, but I dont have anyhting else. My gf used to have one of their CDs, but it is still in Columbus.

Grab "One Step More...," "Walking Cloud...," and then "Under the Pipal Tree."

One step more is before they really had "their" sound, but in the Mogwai/ Explosions vein of music it's a great album. On their latest album I feel they've perfected what they were trying to do on the next two albums after "Walking Cloud..."

But see them live.... TOTALLY worth the experience. They were better than Explosions in the Sky, and RIGHT up their with Mogwai IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Some videos are already showing up on Youtube. It's good to see they played new and old stuff.

Hopefully some better videos will show up a bit later.

thank you!

do you think there'll be a dvd or live cd of these gigs? that would be great

Archived