OT: Economy fail

iluvnoise

• Members

:facepalm:

Hyundai offers a "lose your job, return your car free" guarantee.

-sigh-

I just saw a commercial for it. A freaking commercial on TV, man, where a major auto manufacturer offered a guarantee that if you lose your job, you can return your car with no penalty and they'll even cover a percentage of the depreciation. This is not good.

:eek:

• Members

Well, the majority of the big businesses are now seeing how much depreciation and value that's lost just when you drive a car off the lot, or become the first owner of a house. Anything "used" that's brand new typically doesn't hold it's value very well, unless it's a real upper end, limited sort of thing. The more that technology has enabled businesses to make things easier, the more that they've enabled people for short term gain at long term pain results (ie: the credit fallacy and a false perceived sense of worth/ valuation/ safety in the economy).

For a long time, the debts on these possessions have been worth more than their actual worth as assets on the open market. In that sense, vehicles have long been a terrible, terrible investment.

• Members

Yeah just print up more and more money. Brilliant! Want to see a negative feedback loop shift three gears into full force hyper-inflation causing countries to completely bail on the US Dollar overnight? Weimar Republic all over again mah good friend.

George Santayana'd?

I'm not very familiar with the post WWI, pre WWII history of Germany. What other factors were involved in its collapse?

Edit: I guess more specifically, how does it exactly relate to the current US situation?

• Members

George Santayana'd?

I'm not very familiar with the post WWI, pre WWII history of Germany. What other factors were involved in its collapse?

Edit: I guess more specifically, how does it exactly relate to the current US situation?

Nixon stopped linking the US dollar's worth to gold stocks in the 70's. The US government originally started convincing people to stop personal enterprise....like trading 30 chickens for a cow or what have you, to change over to the dollar to give some sort of national currency. To do that, they originally valued the US dollar as being redeemable in gold.

So when that dollar is losing all that value, it's perceived worth....you don't know whether the chickens laid some bad eggs, or whether the cow ran out of milk--it's this phantom inflation/ depreciation based on the majority of whatever is running (ruining) the economy.

• Members

funny..in korea too people are getting laid off.

isnt the commercial a bit insensitive?

the genesis? meh..ive seen a bunch of them...

Yeah, it's just a weird approach to getting car sales, not to mention possible insensitivity.

Interesting to hear about problems in Korea, too. This wraps all the way around the world and back.

• Members

Yeah, it's just a weird approach to getting car sales, not to mention possible insensitivity.

Interesting to hear about problems in Korea, too. This wraps all the way around the world and back.

The tree with the most roots, when it falls into the river, will rip out most things in the vicinity with it.

• Members

It's Wikipedia, so read at your own risk, but you can definitely see some similarities in the broad strokes. Although, I'd say the US is not nearly in a bad a starting point as the ol' Weimar Republic.

As a complete aside... Why the sentiment of "read at your own risk" in regard to Wikipedia? Seems to me if anybody and everybody edits the referenced truth will stick. I mean I'd trust a democratically maintained encyclopedia to Microsoft Encarta anyday.

• Members

As a complete aside... Why the sentiment of "read at your own risk" in regard to Wikipedia? Seems to me if anybody and everybody edits the referenced truth will stick. I mean I'd trust a democratically maintained encyclopedia to Microsoft Encarta anyday.

Well, it was mostly tongue in cheek, but I don't think Wikipedia by itself should be taken as gospel on anything. Have you contributed to an article? Find something you know really, really well, like your favorite book or food or something and read the wikipedia entry and try to edit it to reflect what you think is right and see what happens. It's usually nothing crazy, but slowly over time the article will be changed and molded in ways you probably wouldn't have guessed or agree with.

Sometimes it is crazy, though. You should investigate the history of some hot-button Wikipedia articles like Mormonism or Scientology.

But it's not really a Wikipedia thing. I'm pretty critical of most information sources. I usually verify with another source or two.

• Members

my fav wikipedia moment was reading about the life of Eddie Van Halen, who in 2004 or so got into a knife fight with Lindsey Buckingham at a new years eve party. Buckingham lost a finger to Eddie, i think Eddie got out ok, but really, i had hit the floor laughing so hard that i couldnt even finish the article.

facts are not democratic, you cannot vote on truth, or base truth on majority belief, or majority stupidity as it were. open-source reference is as dependable as Readers Digest. but with that said, its often a great starting or jumping off point.

poor {censored}in lindsey.

• Members

Yes all articles are subject to weasel words and complete bull{censored}. In my experience these types of things only last a few hours at best before they are restored. If you read something completely bull{censored} you can review the edit history to triangulate and nullify any unsubstantiated unreferenced nonsense. If you were an active editor even you could revert it.
:idea:

my fav wikipedia moment was reading about the life of Eddie Van Halen, who in 2004 or so got into a knife fight with Lindsey Buckingham at a new years eve party. Buckingham lost a finger to Eddie, i think Eddie got out ok, but really, i had hit the floor laughing so hard that i couldnt even finish the article.

facts are not democratic, you cannot vote on truth, or base truth on majority belief, or majority stupidity as it were. open-source reference is as dependable as Readers Digest. but with that said, its often a great starting or jumping off point.

poor {censored}in lindsey.

• Members
Well, it was mostly tongue in cheek, but I don't think Wikipedia by itself should be taken as gospel on anything. Have you contributed to an article? Find something you know really, really well, like your favorite book or food or something and read the wikipedia entry and try to edit it to reflect what you think is right and see what happens. It's usually nothing crazy, but slowly over time the article will be changed and molded in ways you probably wouldn't have guessed or agree with.

Sometimes it is crazy, though. You should investigate the history of some hot-button Wikipedia articles like Mormonism or Scientology.

But it's not really a Wikipedia thing. I'm pretty critical of most information sources. I usually verify with another source or two.

Ah yes that's the trouble with perspectives. Everybody sees the same color in a different shade and some people simply see a different color. I have no problem filtering a democratically tinted article, if unreferenced I take note... I am more ok with a democratically edited articles than I am with say a company which has an agenda or could have their agenda bought and paid for.

I've posted nonsense and these things were edited right the hell out within an hour. I was impressed.

I honestly think folks put a parenthetical wikipedia-grain-of-salt warning to avoid flame criticisms on a given subject... Ironically that's what is happening here now isn't it?
:facepalm:

• Members

George Santayana'd?

Well they were in debt to basically all the powers for the entire cost of WWI, and they deliberately printed money to help alleviate that in a pretty roundabout manner. They printed so much money that it became more expensive to buy wallpaper than to just wallpaper your house with cash. You needed wheelbarrows full to buy a cup of coffee.

It's not going to cause hyper inflation. American debt is the safest asset in the entire world.

• Members

Well they were in debt to basically all the powers for the entire cost of WWI, and they deliberately printed money to help alleviate that in a pretty roundabout manner. They printed so much money that it became more expensive to buy wallpaper than to just wallpaper your house with cash. You needed wheelbarrows full to buy a cup of coffee.

It's not going to cause hyper inflation. American debt is the safest asset in the entire world.

An insane figure too. Yup and they had to repay it in Marks... Since they had to pay it off in their own currency what was there to prevent them from printing money just to pay it off faster?

As far as American debt as an asset... Look at our trade deficit, how do you build wealth without industry? So we have finance, guys push numbers around like playing musical chairs. Look at the derivatives bubble that is the $600T elephant everybody seems to be ignoring... That IS the American debt, a bubble as big as the planet's GDP for a decade... All instruments of make believe value, somebody will be left standing without a seat.

• Members

Look at our trade deficit, how do you build wealth without industry? So we have finance, guys push numbers around like playing musical chairs. Look at the derivatives bubble that is the $600T elephant everybody seems to be ignoring... That IS the American debt, a bubble as big as the planet's GDP for a decade... All instruments of make believe value, somebody will be left standing without a seat.

I'm not an economist or a financial pro, but these things have been troubling me since the first Bush presidency.

Archived