Getting a guitar to sound like a piano?

Bsc1307

• Members

Sort of off topic, but a melodica is way cool----if you get one that's fully chromatic with all the keys, it's even better. It plays like a piano, but it sounds more like a harmonica/ accordian. The only problem is that they're a bitch to tune.....the factory Hohner ones, the reeds are usually out of tune.

• Members

Sort of off topic, but a melodica is way cool----if you get one that's fully chromatic with all the keys, it's even better. It plays like a piano, but it sounds more like a harmonica/ accordian. The only problem is that they're a bitch to tune.....the factory Hohner ones, the reeds are usually out of tune.

Aye! I have a Hohner student melodica...pretty fun stuff. Ridiculously easy to play too. I think mine is tuned to A443 or something like that. Sounds a lot like the right-hand manual of an accordion. A lot of fun mic'd through my pedalboard :thu:

• Members

In theory a very fast processor with low latency should be able to read your pitch, and output a piano sound that most closely matches that pitch and velocity.

I'm not exactly sure how MIDI pickups work but I think they just capture the signal in a way that makes it a lot easier for this to happen.

• Members

In theory a very fast processor with low latency should be able to read your pitch, and output a piano sound that most closely matches that pitch and velocity.

I'm not exactly sure how MIDI pickups work but I think they just capture the signal in a way that makes it a lot easier for this to happen.

That's exactly how MIDI pickups work. A standard MIDI pickup on a guitar is actually 6 pickups - one for each string, because a computer can read individual notes much easier than trying to figure out a complex audio signal like a chord.

• Members

there's always a jerkoff

It's true. I'm sick at people thinking they can mimick a guitar to sound 100% like another instrument.

It will not happen, never ever. If you want a nice pianosound, buy a stage piano. If you want a synth, buy a synth and not a goddamn synth pedal that's just a fuzz with an autowah.

/rant, let the {censored} storm commence

• Members

It's true. I'm sick at people thinking they can mimick a guitar to sound 100% like another instrument.

It will not happen, never ever. If you want a nice pianosound, buy a stage piano. If you want a synth, buy a synth and not a goddamn synth pedal that's just a fuzz with an autowah.

/rant, let the {censored} storm commence

What if you want your guitar to sound like a guitar that's imitating something else?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Listen to the last track on John Mayer's "On His Own" (Nokia Theatre, Dec 08, LA).

Clarity (Lost) by coldplay. He gets a convincing guitar sound with modulation and delay.

The delay has one repeat at about 50ms and he's got a compresser to kill the sustain. There's a chorus or harmoniser thing going on very quietly in there too.

Archived