Getting a guitar to sound like a piano?

Bsc1307

• Members

Hello,

I know this is a random question ("Why don't you just play a piano?"), but I was curious if there is a pedal out there, or some amp/guitar combination that can sound like a piano? I know the POG can do some convincing organ sounds from what i've heard... but I was just wondering if anyone has heard of a "piano pedal" for the guitar, thanks!

• Members

I don't think you can do this convincingly without a synth. Electric Piano (aka Rhodes) is maybe possible with some clever EQ, filter sweep and compressor (clever use of all three).

The thing about piano is that because the strings are so thick and tightly strung, the overtone series on them is slightly wacked out. They're almost closer to a steel bar than a string in terms of their acoustic make-up. A single string on the piano is not in tune with its own overtone series, so that's gonna be pretty close to impossible to mimic on the guitar.

The HOG/POG organ sounds are more simple because they don't have the overtone series problem, and our ears identify with the multiple parallel intervals on the organ as a defining feature. Combined with the attack envelope you can do this pretty convincingly.

Other than the keyboard mechanism there is no real similarity between the organ and the piano. You might as well be talking about making the guitar sound like a saxophone or tuba.

• Members

MIDI pickup is probably the only way to go. That Roland GR-20 is insanely fun to play with at Guitar Center. Since playing it, I've fantasized about a 4-guitar band - three guys with MIDI pickups to play drums, bass, and keyboards and one guy to play guitar.

• Members

the fuzz waz invented to make the guitar sound like a sax

the wah to imitate mccoys trumpet

the ring modulator to sound like gamelons

the big muff to sound like a woman writhing in orgasmic exstacy

who are we to say that with a few transistors, and a dream, we cant build a pedal that faithfully recreates the pianoforte,,,,,,,,

a piano?

are you friggin kidding

synthy electric piano

i've heard some h-8000 or even mpx-1 patches

that come pretty close

but,,,,,

a piano?

yeah

midi

• Members

Hello,

I know this is a random question ("Why don't you just play a piano?"), but I was curious if there is a pedal out there, or some amp/guitar combination that can sound like a piano? I know the POG can do some convincing organ sounds from what i've heard... but I was just wondering if anyone has heard of a "piano pedal" for the guitar, thanks!

Using the Sub octave alone on the Pog offers a heavy "piano string" sound to it. Like if you'd dropped one down some stairs. Seriously! Maybe not what you're after, but hey.

Apparently the Seymour Duncan Shape Shifte tremolo has a setting that sounds "like a piano" according to the advertising blurb if memory serves me well. {censored} knows how literal that is exactly.

• Members

^^ I lol'd within the first 10 seconds^^

edit: Thats actually pretty cool. I would have called it the Uber Fuzz or something-eer-other. If I didn't know what I was listening to I wouldn't know what I was listening too...

Archived