Namm 08 Rumors?

mcpepe

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's apparently never too early to speculate. Besides, this thread (or one like it) will probably go on for at least the next five weeks until Winter NAMM is open. :)

I predict:

1) There will be some "new" equipment that's really new, and a lot that's just a repackaging of the old.

2) At least one company will release a copy of a vintage product that will be praised by some and damned by others.

3) Many people (at least on HC/KSS ;) ) will complain that the major manufacturers are only concerned with profits, and aren't meeting the needs of __________ (fill in the blank).

:D

• Members

I guess just check Andys music online close to the time... just like last year when they (ahem) accidentally leaked the Motif XS... without (ahem) Yamahas permission (great campaign guys.. fooling nobody..)

http://www.andysmusiconline.com

To be honest I only see an increment in the Fantom X series... unless the VSynth somehow gets amalgamated into it in some way...

• Members

I think John Bowen has a secret project he will unveil. No one knows what it is but the rumour is that it's a VA synth of some sort. I wouldn't expect to see details until NAMM, though, unless someone from the inside leaks some.

What's secret about it? All the details are on his website.

• Members

Nothing
new will be announced and people will have to learn to use what they already have.
;)

:D That might be a good thing. I almost don't want to focus on what to get next. Just how to wow myself with the synths I have.

Oh wait... I'm on the buying list for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-BvAZedNQ

which used to be this

http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImages/Large/000000572.jpg

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2698

And I'm glad it's not....which is why I'm buying this

vxsuc6.jpg

vxsuc6.e1971a949f.jpg

Oh wait, what did I just do...

• Members

WHAT?!!!#@%@#

* 4 Oscillators, each with several types available: MultiMode, WaveTable, CEM, WAV (sample playback), VS (single cycle waves), SuperSaw

* 4 Filters, each with a dedicated Mixer. Filter types are: Ladder Lowpass, 24, 12, 6, dB, Highpass 24, 12, 6 dB, Bandpass 24 dB, Comb (2 types), State Variable 12 dB LP, HP, BP, and Notch

* 2 Vector Mixers, 2 Rotors (special 4-step waveshape sequences), 2 AM sections (includes Ring Mod)

* 6 DADSRs, 2 8-stage loopable envelopes

* 4 free LFOs, 1 Vibrato LFO. Each has delayed start, fade in, and fade out times, key sync and Phase control

* Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, Delay, Overdrive, 3-band EQ effects

http://www.johnbowen.com/solaris.html :eek::love:

• Members

I think John Bowen has a secret project he will unveil. No one knows what it is but the rumour is that it's a VA synth of some sort. I wouldn't expect to see details until NAMM, though, unless someone from the inside leaks some.

Hi Walters. :freak:

:lol:

• Members

New Spectrasonics stuff? Please!

That one's a definite. I expect something will replace Trilogy/Atmosphere as RMX did for Stylus. Wondering if there'll be anything new beyond that too (Some sort of vocal library?) We'll see :)

Since Korg USA is supposedly holding off on launching something like Kaossilator for NAMM, it suggests maybe they haven't got much to announce?..

• Members

* 4 Oscillators, each with several types available: MultiMode, WaveTable, CEM, WAV (sample playback), VS (single cycle waves), SuperSaw

* 4 Filters, each with a dedicated Mixer. Filter types are: Ladder Lowpass, 24, 12, 6, dB, Highpass 24, 12, 6 dB, Bandpass 24 dB, Comb (2 types), State Variable 12 dB LP, HP, BP, and Notch

* 2 Vector Mixers, 2 Rotors (special 4-step waveshape sequences), 2 AM sections (includes Ring Mod)

* 6 DADSRs, 2 8-stage loopable envelopes

* 4 free LFOs, 1 Vibrato LFO. Each has delayed start, fade in, and fade out times, key sync and Phase control

* Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, Delay, Overdrive, 3-band EQ effects

http://www.johnbowen.com/solaris.html
:eek::love:

HOLY {censored} THAT'S A TECHNICAL TOUR DE FORCE!

I think this machine deserves multiple threads on multiple synth forums. I think for every minor development in the spec list WE ALL need to sit back and contemplate the brilliance of this design! If the knob style changes, we need to know; if the number of rubber feet on the bottom change, we need to know; if the shipping box contains more than just simple styrofoam endbells but has a THIRD styrofoam support in the middle, by God, WE NEED TO KNOW!

WE SHOULD ALL ENDEAVOR TO MAKE THIS THE MOST HYPED SYNTH THAT HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET EVER!

• Members

Big 3 guesses:

Yamaha introduced the MM6 and upgraded the Motif series last winter NAMM, so maybe a synth between the MM6 and the Motif. Also maybe a face lift for the MM6, like a blue case. Don't think Yamaha will come out with a new flagship this year - probably 2009. However if they did, they'd have the parade to themselves.

Korg had quite a large launch last year: Radius, Micro X, and the R3. Maybe a new Electribe that fits into the Radius. Likely some other quirky products as well. Korg always has something.

Roland did the V Synth GT last year. Since the Juno D is at the end of its production, maybe a replacement for it. Juno E? Also, the Juno G is due for an upgrade, Juno G2? The SH-201 is doing well, perhaps a big brother for it, SH-501?

• Members

Hi, sort of new here. (I browse this forum from time to time.)

I went to NAMM a few years ago in LA. A friend of my Dad's took me as I was in LA for a short sound production class. He works at a music chain in northern California and was sent as the percussion buyer.

He mostly hung around the drums, so I broke away and walked around everywhere. It was quite interesting seeing all the product demos and a few music celebs. Very cool business.

• Members

Big 3 guesses:

Yamaha introduced the MM6 and upgraded the Motif series last winter NAMM, so maybe a synth between the MM6 and the Motif. Also maybe a face lift for the MM6, like a blue case. Don't think Yamaha will come out with a new flagship this year - probably 2009. However if they did, they'd have the parade to themselves.

Korg had quite a large launch last year: Radius, Micro X, and the R3. Maybe a new Electribe that fits into the Radius. Likely some other quirky products as well. Korg always has something.

Roland did the V Synth GT last year. Since the Juno D is at the end of its production, maybe a replacement for it. Juno E? Also, the Juno G is due for an upgrade, Juno G2? The SH-201 is doing well, perhaps a big brother for it, SH-501?

Those are some really good ideas.

I think a beefier VA from Roland would be nice, as would a new electribe.

Also Yamaha needs to come out with an updated RS7000 (not that they ever will). Something with more advanced production features (i.e. multitrack recording and an easier way to load and create multi-samples) and a beefier native soundset to compete with or outdo the Roland MV8800. I think it would be neat if Yamaha came out with something that was a hybrid between the RS7000 and an AW16G. If they priced it at $1700 retail and gave it a VGA out, two PLG slots, and the option of expanding the RAM to a full gigabyte, it would be the coolest thing out there.

Archived