OT: Finally got a few mixes back from the studio...

BTBAM

• Members

Some may know, but I went in the studio a month ago to record my solo music. I got 17 songs recorded, and I'm now starting to get some of the drafts back to start trading back and forth until we find and end product we like. I'm not sure if I'm getting the same guy to master or going to have it go somewhere else. Jakkeh and I have discussed sending it to him for mastering/possibly adding in some keys or addition instrumentation.

These are the first mixes given, so still short of the final. I figured I'd post a few of them.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/38679-Apollo(Mix2).mp3

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/44995-Challenger(3).mp3

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/21041-9.mp3

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mostly it was layered to be mixed differently.

A few tracks that needed a half time reverse loop, or a half time change, I layered on its own until the point of change, then I recorded that entire thing I just did in a looper, did the half time or reverse half time, and we recorded that and surprisingly it stayed in time enough for me to continue to layer over it individually again.

It was a bit tedious, but I'm glad I ended up doing it that way.

• Members

Well right on.. The third song is kinda... I dunno, not structured very well. I thought the rain forest sounds in the background were pretty cheesy sounding, maybe a little too high in the mix.

I like the reverse delay stuff in the second song, but then the, I guess you could call it tremolo picking kinda threw it off..

I liked the first song the most for sure.

All in all, as long as you enjoy it and are having fun with it, then awesome!

Edit, I wanted to add that the recording quality itself is really {censored}ing good!

• Members

I like the reverse delay stuff in the second song, but then the, I guess you could call it tremolo picking kinda threw it off..

Yea, the whole song is a depiction of the challenger explosion, so it is supposed to get a little chaotic in the end, but I still wanted it to remain a little musical.

• Members

The drums on apollo seem to come in a little early, I'm not sure if I think it works alright or should come in a little later.

I like where the drums come in, they just aren't powerful. I think the song is pretty rad, great tonal delays, but the drums in their current state throw it off.

I don't know if it's eq'ing, or doubling up, beat replacing, adding verb and drive, but if they were thick and more present I think it would be an epic feeling to the end of a pretty drawn out track.

Right now the drums just take me out of the feeling/emotion that was building up through out the entire song.

• Members

I like where the drums come in, they just aren't powerful. I think the song is pretty rad, great tonal delays, but the drums in their current state throw it off.

I don't know if it's eq'ing, or doubling up, beat replacing, adding verb and drive, but if they were thick and more present I think it would be an epic feeling to the end of a pretty drawn out track.

Right now the drums just take me out of the feeling/emotion that was building up through out the entire song.

Noted. I'll add that to my list of stuff. It might be a mixing thing.

• Members

Apparently he hadn't done any eq'ing to the drums yet. Hopefully on our next go round we'll have some significant improvement.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Music is coming...well...slow.

Started recording in October...still don't have my final mixes. It should be soon though. Ended up with 18 tracks recorded, and as soon as these are closed up I'll be going back to hit about 6 more.

I got the packaging for my first collection of cds, my "Four Seasons EP" and started working on the painting for those today.

Here is a track that is working from that release:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/16484-bbboag.mp3

And here is some of the art, minus my name and cd titles:

3485095958_284eb6e709.jpg

3484276489_2a1ee401c4.jpg

• Members
Music is coming...well...slow.

Started recording in October...still don't have my final mixes. It should be soon though. Ended up with 18 tracks recorded, and as soon as these are closed up I'll be going back to hit about 6 more.

I got the packaging for my first collection of cds, my "Four Seasons EP" and started working on the painting for those today.

Here is a track that is working from that release:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/16484-bbboag.mp3

And here is some of the art, minus my name and cd titles:

3484276489_2a1ee401c4.jpg

Those look great Brian!

• Members

Yea...it is pretty hot in the mix right now. I had to re-record it because it was really thin at first, so we'll see what he does with it. We haven't had good communication the past week or so, but soon it'll all get straight and I can get it pressed.

Thanks for the kind words man.

Archived