I'm pretty sure I'm getting a microkorg

logansc

• Members

Is this what you would go for in that price range? I've never done synth stuff before, but I'm really looking forward to it. All I need to record is a cheap midi to usb interface and some midi cables right? I'll play thru my PA when I'm at the studio, but at home playing through a bass amp is probably fine right? And thru midi jack is so you can run vst and things through the keyboard right, instead of just controlling it? I'm a complete keyboard noob. So I could be asking stupid questions.

• Members

I don't like the Microkorg keys whatsoever. Do you have a laptop or desktop computer? For the price of a Microkorg I think I would buy midi controller with a decent aftertouch keyboard and play around with software synths. That approach allows a much greater range of exploration with different kinds of synthesis. You can use demo versions, or sign up for a cheap keyboard class at a community college and get academic versions of many software synths. You could also get an inexpensive Casio or Yamaha keyboard just to mess around. I picked up a Casio WK-110 for this purpose for about $130, including stand and A/C adapter. Otherwise, I'd try to save up a few hundred more bucks to get a more capable synth like the X-50, if you don't need a vocoder, or the R3 if you do. I just got the X-50 for $560+tax, so you might be able to find one in the same range, not too much more than the Microkorg.

• Members

Is this what you would go for in that price range? I've never done synth stuff before, but I'm really looking forward to it. All I need to record is a cheap midi to usb interface and some midi cables right? I'll play thru my PA when I'm at the studio, but at home playing through a bass amp is probably fine right? And thru midi jack is so you can run vst and things through the keyboard right, instead of just controlling it? I'm a complete keyboard noob. So I could be asking stupid questions.

to be honest for the little extra money I would buy a Micro X

:thu:

excellent sound and very versatile

• Members

Is this what you would go for in that price range?

Secondhand yes, new, probably not, because I'd try to pick up a secondhand MS2000 if I could.

All I need to record is a cheap midi to usb interface and some midi cables right?

MIDI is to tabs or score sheets as audio is to tape or CD. You won't record any sounds, but you will record the notes.

I'll play thru my PA when I'm at the studio, but at home playing through a bass amp is probably fine right?

The frequency range of a synthesizer is different enough to get something else - either a small keyboard amp or just a stereo set.

And thru midi jack is so you can run vst and things through the keyboard right

No. MIDI Thru is used to daisy-chain several MIDI synthesizers together so the signal can trickle to any device from a single source.

• Members

to be honest for the little extra money I would buy a Micro X

:thu:

excellent sound and very versatile

+1 on the Micro X.

I had a microKorg for a couple years but sold it to buy a Micro X. The microKorg is fine, but way more limited in every way than the Micro X, which has the same sound engine as a Triton.

Guys... the MicroX is a mini-version of the Triton and has NO vocoder.

Perhaps you guys were thinking of the R3 which could be a direct upgrade from the MicroKorg?

As I have mentioned in the past, I like the microKorg, specially because how portable it is and it runs on batteries. If the R3 was powered by batteries I would switch immediately.

• Members

Secondhand yes, new, probably not, because I'd try to pick up a secondhand MS2000 if I could.

+1

Those little keys on the Microkorg are awful. If you like the sound of the Microkorg, the MS2000 has the same synth engine...and is a lot easier to tweak and program...

• Members

Guys... the MicroX is a mini-version of the Triton and has NO vocoder.

Perhaps you guys were thinking of the
which could be a direct upgrade from the MicroKorg?

As I have mentioned in the past, I like the microKorg, specially because how portable it is and it runs on batteries. If the R3 was powered by batteries I would switch immediately.

Yah - the R3 is to the Radias what the Microkorg is to the MS2000.

• Members

the problem with alternatives like the R3 or MS2000 is that they are as big as a supercarrier and are in no way portable- forget fitting them in your laptop bag- if you are going to be chained to a huge thing- you might as well get something older/cheaper with more features- a good alternative to the microkorg would be the micro-x/ novation xiosynth or x-station- anything bigger is a waste of time and money unless your studio is an aircraft hangar

• Members

sorry I took so long to reply. I went ahead and bought the microkorg. I really like it. IT has some great sounds, and I can handle the small keys. Its really funny messing with a synth because of how easily you stumble upon sounds that nearly exactly replicate different bands sounds and lots of nintendo noises.

I tried it at guitarcenter and compared it to the alesis micon. They both sound good, but the Alesis just seemed so hard to edit. I have run the synth through my compturer and it works well with my vst instruments. That way I can still get your basic pianos, organs, and stuff. Plus I can run ezdrummer with it.

By the way,d o you guys know of any ways to get that classic pop vocal vocoding on this thing? I want to try to get that.

• Members

By the way,d o you guys know of any ways to get that classic pop vocal vocoding on this thing? I want to try to get that.

First, plan to get a good microphone instead of the mic that came with it. I'd recommend the Shure SM58. Adjust the input level as high as possible before clipping occurs or background noise becomes loud. Then set the Audio In 1 Threshold so that the gate is triggered only when you are using your voice, but not triggered when you breathe or other non-vocal sounds.

Play with the vocoder using good headphones, so that you don't have to worry about confusing it via feedback. I've only played around with the Microkorg at stores, but I own and have used several different vocoder and vocal harmonizers.

• Members

First, plan to get a good microphone instead of the mic that came with it. I'd recommend the Shure SM58. Adjust the input level as high as possible before clipping occurs or background noise becomes loud. Then set the Audio In 1 Threshold so that the gate is triggered only when you are using your voice, but not triggered when you breathe or other non-vocal sounds.

Play with the vocoder using good headphones, so that you don't have to worry about confusing it via feedback. I've only played around with the Microkorg at stores, but I own and have used several different vocoder and vocal harmonizers.

I have an sm58 and it does get tons less feedback and clearer sound than the mic that comes with it, but I am curious about getting a certain kind of vocoding like all those cheesy pop and technoish bands have to their voice. All I can get right now is alien voices. Perhaps this cannot be acheived via a vocoder like I thought? If so are there any plugins I could get?

• Members

I have an sm58 and it does get tons less feedback and clearer sound than the mic that comes with it, but I am curious about getting a certain kind of vocoding like all those cheesy pop and technoish bands have to their voice. All I can get right now is alien voices. Perhaps this cannot be acheived via a vocoder like I thought? If so are there any plugins I could get?

Well, you might not be trying to get any kind of vocoding. There are many kinds of vocal effects besides vocoding. Since you mention cheesy pop, I think you might be referring to the extreme pitch correction effect, aka the Auto-tune "Cher effect".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

The talk box is another classic vocal effect that is often confused for vocoding. This is brute-force analog vocal amplitude modulation - literally piping music through a tube in your mouth which is recorded on a mic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box

There's also vocal harmonizers, chorus effects, and hundreds of other possible effects to achieve a particular result. Imogen Heap apparently uses an older Digitech harmonizer for "Hide and Seek", if you believe Internet sources. Auto-tune is probably used for any vocalist who's recorded tracks seem to always seem to be pitch perfect but not during live performances. Perhaps that includes all of pop, now.

• Members

how do you make sounds like this dude is what I mean. Is this vocoding, auto-tuning, or what?

and don't worry I won't be making music like that, but then again you might like that.

That's absolutely aggressive auto-tuning. It's the Cher effect. No vocoding at all. If it basically is the original artist's voice, but with sharp pitch changes between notes (like a ladder), that's auto-tune.

The other kind of auto-tune is the Ashlee Simpson effect. That's the one where the artist can't hold a note except with the help of auto-tune. It's worth millions of dollars, so long as the artist doesn't get caught on live TV with a ghost track and no lipsyncing fraud to maintain the illusion. I occasionally pull out that episode of SNL for laughs. It never gets old.

Archived