OT: Music that makes you dumb.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most people gravitate towards music that reflects who they are--their surroundings, feelings, sense of social class (or desired social class), etc. As they say, "don't blame the band, blame it's fans", hahaaa. You can blame a band for being dumb or lowest common denominator, but ultimately, people have to
identify
with that stupidity.

It's the exact reason why alot of underground fans aren't necessarily smarter than your average mainstream music fan.....because of the elitism that goes into the propagation of scenes and cries of "sell out" and all this backstabbing the minute that a band goes onto something more, all these false ideals of trust and support and supposed "ethics"....and then they start to close themselves off from certain music and scenes and a broader view of things. It becomes quite narrowminded; whereas I think that if you're a true music connoisseur, you just let things move you that do, without affecting too many outside factors to verify or dismiss something.

I think that some also have a false sense of elevation or enlightenment from the music that they create or buy, and that allows them to stay no smarter or dumber than the next music fan. There's art that's bad at being good, and there's art that's good at being bad; just as there's art that's great at being phenomenal.

In the end, music is
entertainment
. However people process it is fine by me.

I'm with you on most of this. I just don't view music as entertainment. To me, it's art. Just my opinion.

• Members

Well who the hell listens to Beethoven?

how boring.

My favorite of all time. You want to feel some movement or heaviness in music? Listen to Beethoven. I'm surprised mozart was not included though- he is supposedly supposed to have some very "mathematical" melodies.

• Members

I'm with you on most of this. I just don't view music as entertainment. To me, it's art. Just my opinion.

Cool. It is art, but art is also entertainment, too--we absorb it because it is a source of creativity, but it also provides an outlet to boredom and stagnation. People derive different types of entertainment from it--for some, it's more cerebral, for some it's less cerebral, but more physical.

Archived