Drum Sounds (Hardware)

shadowshocker

• Members

Hey,

I'm looking for a synth or drum machine good for drum sounds. I don't necessarily need a drum machine cause I'm just going to put everything into a sampler anyway, so all I need is something with a lot of different drum sounds/effects. Currently I'm just using an Ensoniq keyboard for drum sounds, but I kind of want to get rid of it and get something new. I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money (Not a Machinedrum) and I don't want to use software either. So what would be good for lots of drum sounds?

Thanks

• Members

Elsongs: I've heard bad things about the MPC 500 compared to the other MPC's. Though isn't it the only one with drum samples included?

Grumphh: I'd rather not use drum sample collections if possible. I know this might sound weird but, I'd rather have hardware or something.

Joeylz: Thanks for the offer, but I'm not really looking for an MPC at the moment.

• Members

You might want some sort of groovebox then - they usually have plenty of different drum sounds and often possibilities to further shape those sounds.

Even the lowly mc 303 has several banks of individual drum sounds besides the 10 or 11 fixed drum kits.

RM1X and RS7000 too.

Don't know the others.

Grumphh: I'd rather not use drum sample collections if possible. I know this might sound weird but, I'd rather have hardware or something.

I'd have to insist and back up grumphh suggestion.

If you are putting the sounds into a hardware sampler, anyway, WHY to spend on a hardware unit? Get a virtual drum machine or a collection in CD of sampled drums and sample them...

• Members

I'd have to insist and back up grumphh suggestion.

If you are putting the sounds into a hardware sampler, anyway, WHY to spend on a hardware unit? Get a virtual drum machine or a collection in CD of sampled drums and sample them...

Well it was mostly an issue of space on the sampler. However, if I do get an MPC I will definitely do this instead. So then I would just download drum samples, and then run my computer to the MPC and start sampling all the different sounds, right?

• Members

for cheaper drum synths the options are...

kawai xd-5 digital samples with amplitude modulation and resonant filters similar to the kawai k-4 synth in architechture but with different waveforms geared towards drums and with actual drum samples

peavey spectrum synth - similar in sound to an oberheim matrix 6/6r/1000 but with fast envelopes so is more apt to do drums sounds than a matrix series. they are dirt cheap but need an external programmer like a knob box or the peavey 1600 controller or a software editor. doubles as a nice synth when you're not making drum noises to sample.

vermona drm - analog drum machine/synth. basic analog oldskool drum style editing with knobs and simple ar envelopes and sine waves and noise sources from the osc sections. good for classic analog electronic sounds ala kraftwerk and early r&b stuff.

samples and a software sample editor. try cool edit pro and a few samples and you can make amazing drum noises with minimal effort. just take a wave editor that allows you to do some mixing and looping as well as sample level mangling/cutting pasting and you can make some incredible stuff without needing any outboard gear at all.

• Members

And sound just ike everyone else who owns those collections? No thanks.

the problem is if you look to a single hardware piece that does synthesis you are going to be in that same boat. a synth that does drum sounds is going to be limited to a single filter model/type and the osc section is not going to help out much without some extensive effects mangling to assist it. when you feed a waveform through a filter and use a lot of resonance to emulate a drum the filter becomes the distinctive factor not the waveform fed into it. most hardware out there suffers from a sameiness issue when you get into drum programming as it is all based on a simple wave fed into a filter to remove frequencies and accentuate a certain range at the cutoff point.

besides it's drums.

it is supposed to sound like a drum.

ie it is supposed to sound like a certain historicaly used item so worrying about repeating history is a bit of a waste of your time.

Archived