Which analog delay REALLY is a TRUE analog?

kvalois

• Members

I am actually going to answer the OP's question.......

Any delay that is not digital is analog, including delays that use BBD chips.

The first analog delay was and still is the Grand Canyon, however that is really hard to take to a gig or use in the Studio.

The second analog delays were called oil can delays you can read more about that here... http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/oil_can_delays.htm. In sum it was the predecessor to the tape delay and the underlying technology was very similar.

Of course tape delay followed, IE echo-plex. Both the oil can and tape delay basically recorded then played back what was just recorded very soon after the recording took place, took plac, t o o k ....b a z...... on a mechanical substrate. Just like that old 8 track started to wear out the more you played the more the recording wore out causing a degradation in tone and that warble/modulation from the tape wearing out and the gears changing speeds.

In the 70's the Bucket Brigade Delay was invented. This was a new technology using common types of components, basically lots of capacitors, a clock and an LFO, crammed into a very small space. The Boss DM-2 uses the MN3005 which has 4096 capacitors packed into a chip less than an inch long. There are all types of modulation effects based on BBD's such as vibrato (VB-2), chorus, flanger, phaser, etc... The BBD works by taking a signal and dumping it into a capacitor, when that cap fills up like a bucket it spills into the next cap in the brigade and so on and so on a thousand or so times, when it gets to the end of the line the signal is delayed. Nothing digital going on, just capacitors. BBD's sound warm because each time the signal gets dumped into the next cap a tiny bit of signal is lost, softening the highs. Someone earlier mentioned that BBD were kind of digital and nothing could be further from the truth. BBD delays are 100% pure analog.

In the 80's came digital delays. The Boss DD-2 was the first compact digital delay pedal (IRRC). It sounded great, clean and clear. The audio signal is converted to digital data stored then repeated and converted back to an audio signal. There is also some loss of fidelity in the conversion but it's of a different type than the loss in tape and BBD delays.

Over the years the sampling rates and quality of A/D to D/A conversion has improved a lot and digital delay is now much less expensive to produce than analog delay, what's more it sounds good compared to a lot of the early digital delays. So here comes the PT2399 chip, a low cost digital delay processor that is well suited to model both tape and BBD type delays. And consumers want analog delays but don't want to pay the $$ for them. I recently paid $20/each for some MN3005 chips and that was a good deal. On top of that I need a clock $4, a compander, $3 and 3 nice op-amps at $3/each. That's $36 in chips for one 300ms delay.

Many of the delays now being produced are digital delays that are voiced like analog and they do a good job of it.

You mentioned that you want modulation? You can get that in an analog or digital delay. If your delay of choice does not have modulation it is not difficult to modify most delays to have an effect loop thus modulating your delay however you please.

Currently manufactured Delays, I am sure there are many more than this but...

Analog Delays:

1. Fulltone TTE (tape) all others are BBD.

2. Ibanez/Maxon AD-808, AD-9, AD-999

3. Malekko E600 and E300 in dark and bright

4. MXR Carbon Copy

5. Retro-sonic

6. Diamond Memory Lane

7. EH DMM

Digital Delays :

1. Anything currently made by Boss

2. Carl Martin

3. Digitech

4. EH SMM

5. Empress

6. Eventide

7. Freakshow Digilog

8. Guyatone MD-3 and TD-x

9. Mad Professor

10. Moolon

12. Pigtronix

13. Skreddy

14. Subdecay

15. T-Rex

16. TC Electronics

But what about true bypass????? Pick a delay that you like, it's ok to have a buffer at or near the end of your chain of pedals which is where a delay usually is. Just because a delay is buffered does not mean that the echo will trail off when you bypass the unit. But the poster who commented on that feature is correct that a true bypass delay cannot trail off.

Do the new digital delays voiced to sound analog sound better than pure analog? Only if they sound better to you. Personally I have never cared for the AD-9 but I think the DM-2 is the best sounding delay ever, with the Malekko E600B a very close 2nd. My favoiite digital delay is the Boss DD-2. I run 4 delays on my board, 2 DD-2's, a DM-2 and a Malekko E600B. One of the DD-2's has been modded to sound like an analog delay.

Don't get worked up in analog v digital or true bypass v buffered bypass. All delays sound different so just find the one you like and go there.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For all the folks who were saying that BBD's are "kinda digital", this
:facepalm:
's for you.
:wave:

+1. Stricly speaking, they are not, since the signal is not converted into a series of 0 and 1s.

However, while there is no quantization of the voltage, time is discretized, because of the Bucket brigade structure: transistors are switched a a clock frequency in order to allow the charge / discharge of capacitors, which enabls the signal to travel further along the BB ... that is why low pass filtering is needed, i order to avoid aliasing.

I read an article somewhere discussing about the issue of digital delays, I'll try to find it.

Guest Guest

My advice is to wait for the Malekko 919 and then buy the {censored} out of it, as I am planning to do. It's analog, and it has modulation.

• Members

I endorse what works for me:

Get an Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport. It's technically digital, but it sounds better than and every bit as analog as the several analog delays that I've used, IMO (carbon copy, Maxon ad999, Malekko e600d). Realistically, the Malekko was a tiny bit more complex and sweet sounding, but it doesn't have modulation. You may want to hold out for the 616 or 919 malekkos with mod.

AND the modulation is footswitchable....and DELICIOUS.

Guest Guest

Another great choice that I didn't mention simply because I haven't OWNED one is the Retro-Sonic analog delay.

That thing is pretty incredible.

I'm very into DMMs - I haven't heard a pedal come as close to tape delay. But nitefly swears by that Retro-Sonic. I haven't tried it yet.

• Moderators

For all the folks who were saying that BBD's are "kinda digital", this
's for you.

BBDs are digital. The clock pulse is sampling the input signal via a sample-and-hold just like a digital memory delay is sampling the input through an AD converter. Both are taking thin slices of the analog signal, delaying them and then reassembling the slices on the output to make a signal again. The only difference is in how they are storing the sampled signal level.

BBDs are subject to aliasing, Nyquist frequency limits, clock noise feedthrough, and output filtering just like digital memory devices.

Analog Delays:

Tape

Springs

Plates

Big empty rooms

Digital Delays:

BBDs

CCDs

Memory-based devices

:wave: -Jack

• Members

+1. Stricly speaking, they are not, since the signal is not converted into a series of 0 and 1s.

However, while there is no quantization of the voltage, time is discretized, because of the Bucket brigade structure: transistors are switched a a clock frequency in order to allow the charge / discharge of capacitors, which enabls the signal to travel further along the BB ... that is why low pass filtering is needed, i order to avoid aliasing.

I read an article somewhere discussing about the issue of digital delays, I'll try to find it.

Because this is exactly what I meant. And the very low effective "samplerate" of the BBDs results in a lot of aliasing not at all unlike what you'd hear with early digital delays which used very low samplerates compared to today's stuff.

Absolutely no need to sling :facepalm: around, I'm not an idiot and I'm not claiming anything absurd.

• Members

a digital memory delay is sampling the input through an AD converter. Both are taking thin slices of the analog signal, delaying them and then reassembling the slices on the output to make a signal again. The only difference is in how they are storing the sampled signal level.

BBDs are subject to aliasing, Nyquist frequency limits, clock noise feedthrough, and output filtering just like digital memory devices.

Analog Delays:

Tape

Springs

Plates

Big empty rooms

Digital Delays:

BBDs

CCDs

Memory-based devices

-Jack

Last I checked "Like" and "the same as" had different definitions :idk:

• Members

BBDs are digital. The clock pulse is sampling the input signal via a sample-and-hold just like a digital memory delay is sampling the input through an AD converter. Both are taking thin slices of the analog signal, delaying them and then reassembling the slices on the output to make a signal again. The only difference is in how they are storing the sampled signal level.

Analog Delays:

Tape

Springs

Plates

Big empty rooms

Digital Delays:

BBDs

CCDs

Memory-based devices

-Jack

That's a good explanation, but I think BBDs are really more of an intermediate step between analog and digital. It depends on your definition of digital, but I think of digital being free of signal degradation once the A/D conversion has taken place (absent compression, of course) - the 1 stays a 1. The sample and hold mechanism used in BBDs is still subjects the signal to degradation as the sampled voltage is transfer to bucket to bucket . . . probably an academic discussion, though - I think everyone should buy one of each type and be happy!

• Members

There's a lot of good info in this thread. :thu:

My $0.02 - if you're new to effects, get a DD-7 that has some features on it but is still pretty inexpensive. The Boss pedals have some hate, but I dig 'em. I like the reverse function, the hold function, the 20,000,000 seconds of delay time you can dial in, and the analog and modulation settings.

Does a digital delay model analog as well as a "true analog" delay pedal? No. But how many people in the audience are going to say "Oh, he's a hack. He's using a digital delay with an analog setting on it"? That's right. half of them. But f**k them - those pricks were on the guest list and won't even buy your a$$ a drink. Cheap bastards.

• Members

There's a lot of good info in this thread.
:thu:

My $0.02 - if you're new to effects, get a DD-7 that has some features on it but is still pretty inexpensive. The Boss pedals have some hate, but I dig 'em. I like the reverse function, the hold function, the 20,000,000 seconds of delay time you can dial in, and the analog and modulation settings.

Does a digital delay model analog as well as a "true analog" delay pedal? No. But how many people in the audience are going to say "Oh, he's a hack. He's using a digital delay with an analog setting on it"? That's right. half of them. But f**k them - those pricks were on the guest list and won't even buy your a$$ a drink. Cheap bastards.

wat

• Members

:lol:

Guest Guest

Absolutely no need to sling
around, I'm not an idiot and I'm not claiming anything absurd.

Palms to the face - they're serious business.

Archived