New Chuck Norris siting

Birdienumnum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No it is just that people those guys gave Martial Arts a bad name and a lot of people a false sense of security. I got into the Martial Arts in 1979 and remember. It was my second love from music. Very hard to do both.

OK? I got into the martial arts in 75 and I dont recall Chuck giving the arts a bad name. If anything he helped get it out there for more to experience.

• Members

OK? I got into the martial arts in 75 and I dont recall Chuck giving the arts a bad name. If anything he helped get it out there for more to experience.

He did a great job of the opposite - his schools treated it more of a sport than a weirdo foreign violence thing and made it a lot less threatening to the masses.

What made him good on the circuit was a brilliant sense of rhythm and timing. Which made for boring fight scenes in his movies. They got better once he picked up a gun and started shooting commies and drug dealers.

• Members

Maybe another topic discussion but people like him indirectly influenced a lot of black belts to use stuff in the street that did not work. There are a lot of reports of Martial Artists getting their asses kicked on the street. That is the negative influence I meant, more from the movie side of things.

• Members
Maybe another topic discussion but people like him indirectly influenced a lot of black belts to use stuff in the street that did not work. There are a lot of reports of Martial Artists getting their asses kicked on the street. That is the negative influence I meant, more from the movie side of things.

That sort of thing happened long before Chuck and will happen for a long time after. It's another activity that attracts the smartest of the smart and the dumbest of the dumb.

Kind of like music and politics. :lol::lol::lol:

• Members

Have you heard of the current craze 'style' called Capoeira?

Supposed to be part martial art, part dance, but it looks like it'd be really ineffective if used.

• Members
... She has never seen one of his movies (a lot of his current book fans haven't) and just looked at me funny when I started riffing about how Bruce Lee ripped off Chuck's chest hairs and snapped his neck.

She looks at me funny a whole lot.

:D

Bruce Lee :thu:

• Members

Have you heard of the current craze 'style' called Capoeira?

Supposed to be part martial art, part dance, but it looks like it'd be really ineffective if used.

Yeah I spared with a Capoiea teacher last year. It is done with live drums traditional and has roots from the African Slaves brought to Brazil. It does not look that effective. The mixed martial arts guys I knew laughed at it but then they don't like any traditional arts.

• Members

Yeah I spared with a Capoiea teacher last year. It is done with live drums traditional and has roots from the African Slaves brought to Brazil. It does not look that effective. The mixed martial arts guys I knew laughed at it but then they don't like any traditional arts.

It ain't that new. It just gets "rediscovered" every generation. In the 90s it was in Tekken, the video game. In the 80's it was in a really bad martial arts flick called "Rooftops". In the 70's Kwai Chang Caine had to give some escaped slave the business when he tried to get all Capoirea on his ass. They realized they had a mutual cause and it was all man hugs at the end, if my blurry memory serves me correct.

I also remember reading an article in Black Belt years back when they interviewed an old school escrima guy (he came over as a farmer and was old when Chuck was young). Apparently, some capoirea "matches" are more a contest of skill and flair and not hard core fighting. He was invited to fight, didn't realize that and started pounding on the guy. He had to leave in a hurry.

Crap, if I had invested as much time in music or martial arts as I did watching TV and and {censored}ty movies, I may have done something useful with myself.

• Members

Yeah Martial Arts provided with me with a lot of good stuff. I had some good instructors but personality wise they all failed me. It is really too bad. Here is the list of MA when they were popular:

50's Judo
60's Karate
70's Kung-Fu
80's Ninja Craze
90's Thai Boxing/Brazilian Jujitsu
2000's Mixed Martial Arts

Things have sure changed.

• Members

Ah yes, I misunderstood. As a teen I really liked him, Bruce and a little known (nowadays) Jillian Kesner(sp?). Of course there were a LOT of chop-socky shlock films that erupted from the early seventies on that are loads of fun to watch nowadays lol.

"kill or be Killed & Kill and kill again" come to mind... but they DID have some pretty cool sounding synth scores attached to them ;) (hows that for keeping things on topic lol!)
Mick

• Members
Ah yes, I misunderstood. As a teen I really liked him, Bruce and a little known (nowadays) Jillian Kesner(sp?). Of course there were a LOT of chop-socky shlock films that erupted from the early seventies on that are loads of fun to watch nowadays lol.

"kill or be Killed & Kill and kill again" come to mind... but they DID have some pretty cool sounding synth scores attached to them
;)
(hows that for keeping things on topic lol!)

Mick

Yeah they are fun with all the fake wigs and costumes. Everyone says change is good, change is good. I am not so sure in the case of the martial arts. I feel the same way about music. I think some integrity/discipline has been lost a long the way for the last 20 years. It is too bad. I just don't see people bettering themselves. Martial Arts can breed bad egos sometimes and that is the problem. That is why the UFC is so big. I was at a MMA school and some of the guys there were really too into themselves.

Archived