New Chuck Norris siting

Birdienumnum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I was in the Martial Arts when he was popular in the 1980's. Since then I have lost all respect really for him. I don't like his politics.

Just because he wants to tattoo "God Bless America" and a picture of the flag on dissenters' and unbelievers' foreheads? Sounds reasonable to me. :freak:

• Members

Even if he was a pioneer in the Martial Arts world he is kind of a joke in the community now. It is was wierd because he was a top action star in the 1980's and I used to read all of his stuff. Too bad role models dissapoint you. The same goes for some musicians I know. It is a wierd thing.

• Members

Even if he was a pioneer in the Martial Arts world he is kind of a joke in the community now. It is was wierd because he was a top action star in the 1980's and I used to read all of his stuff. Too bad role models dissapoint you. The same goes for some musicians I know. It is a wierd thing.

He did some good and some bad:

He was a genius on the points circuit, helped create a sucessful business model for martial arts schools, made martial arts accessible to the masses and was an early advocate for youth physical fitness.

On the bad side:

Aside from his dubious religious and political views, he oversold his competitive martial arts record (c'mon, he was never a giant in the kickboxing/full contact world like he later would claim), popularized polyester karate suits and wickey wackey stretch jeans and...

...sorry about this Birdie...

...Charles Bronson would have kicked his ass...

...Clint, too...

...maybe even Cynthia Rothrock...

• Members

I know exactly how you feel. I am a big science fiction fan, and back in high school I idolized writers like Harlan Ellison. One day I went to a sci fi meet in Los Angeles where Harlan was holding court, and I politely asked him to come speak at my little high school sci fi club like other nice writers had. Mr. Ellison went into this long diatribe about stupid fans. He was a grown adult humiliating a high school kid in front of a large crowd. So much for role models. I learned from then on to separate the person from the accomplishments. This works very well if you like Wagner's music, for example. ;)

• Members

He did some good and some bad:

He was a genius on the points circuit, helped create a sucessful business model for martial arts schools, made martial arts accessible to the masses and was an early advocate for youth physical fitness.

On the bad side:

Aside from his dubious religious and political views, he oversold his competitive martial arts record (c'mon, he was never a giant in the kickboxing/full contact world like he later would claim), popularized polyester karate suits and wickey wackey stretch jeans and...

...sorry about this Birdie...

...Charles Bronson would have kicked his ass...

...Clint, too...

...maybe even Cynthia Rothrock...

I know and all of those guys came out to be lame. Jean Claude Van Dame was popular too. He was a good athelete but his kicks never looked Japanese or Korean, but kind of inbetween and he ended up getting knocked out by Chuck Zito at a bar in NYC. Steven Seagal had the coolest movie in 1988, Out for Justice, and no one had seen choregraphy like that so he got popular. When I was in the grappling circuit and training in Judo there was a story of Steven getting choked out by Gene Labell on a movie set because he had something to do with the stunt men. The Martial Arts have sure changed since I started in 1979. Chuck Norris was the worst one because he ment a lot to a lot of people back in the day. He had the closest ties to Bruce Lee back in the day also. It's too bad.

• Members

Cyhnthia was an amazing martial artist, but had some pretty lousy films. China O'Brian being one of them.

As for Chuck, I still like him even though he hasn't done much aside from Walker since the 80s.

I think that many of the popular martial artists that had any kind of fighting record be it in any system have always made their experiences out to be more than whats actually true. If you expect anything less from Hollywood that would surprise me.

Mick

• Members
Back in the '70s, my step-father was a kick-boxer. He trainer under Peter Urban, the founder of American Goju Ryu.

So what you are saying is: you were raised by a man who was trained by a man who was trained by a couple of guys who had no qualms about dry humping a bucket of broken glass or killing livestock with their bare hands.

'Tis a lineage to be proud of. :thu:

• Members

Cyhnthia was an amazing martial artist, but had some pretty lousy films. China O'Brian being one of them.

As for Chuck, I still like him even though he hasn't done much aside from Walker since the 80s.

I think that many of the popular martial artists that had any kind of fighting record be it in any system have always made their experiences out to be more than whats actually true. If you expect anything less from Hollywood that would surprise me.

Mick

No it is just that people those guys gave Martial Arts a bad name and a lot of people a false sense of security. I got into the Martial Arts in 1979 and remember. It was my second love from music. Very hard to do both.

• Members

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.

On the 7th day, God rested.... Chuck Norris took over.

When his martial arts prowess fails to resolve a situation, Chuck Norris plays dead. When playing dead doesn't work, he plays zombie.

Although it is not common knowledge, there are actually three sides to the Force: the light side, the dark side, and Chuck Norris.

Scientists used to believe that diamond was the world's hardest substance. But then they met Chuck Norris, who gave them a roundhouse kick to the face so hard, and with so much heat and pressure, that the scientists turned into artificial Chuck Norris.

God offered Chuck Norris the gift to fly, which he swiftly declined for super strength roundhouse ability.

When Chuck Norris was denied a Bacon McMuffin at McDonalds because it was 10:35, he roundhouse kicked the store so hard it became a KFC.

Chuck Norris drinks napalm to quell his heartburn.

A duck's quack does not echo. Chuck Norris is solely responsible for this phenomenon. When asked why he will simply stare at you, grimly.

Chuck Norris once tried to defeat Garry Kasparov in a game of chess. When Norris lost, he won in life by roundhouse kicking Kasparov in the side of the face.

Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.

Chuck Norris doesn't believe in Germany.

If you want a list of Chuck Norris' enemies, just check the extinct species list.

Chuck Norris has never blinked in his entire life. Never.

When Chuck Norris' wife burned the turkey one thanksgiving, Chuck said, "don't worry about it honey," and went into his backyard. He came back five minutes later with a live turkey, ate it whole, and when he threw it up a few seconds later it was fully cooked and came with cranberry sauce. When his wife asked him how he had done it, he gave her a roundhouse kick to the face and said, "Never question Chuck Norris."

• Members
I know exactly how you feel. I am a big science fiction fan, and back in high school I idolized writers like Harlan Ellison. One day I went to a sci fi meet in Los Angeles where Harlan was holding court, and I politely asked him to come speak at my little high school sci fi club like other nice writers had. Mr. Ellison went into this long diatribe about stupid fans. He was a grown adult humiliating a high school kid in front of a large crowd. So much for role models. I learned from then on to separate the person from the accomplishments. This works very well if you like Wagner's music, for example.
;)

Harlan Ellison was pretty darned arrogant when I met him about 20 years ago. I also had the opportunity to meet Isaac Asimov in the early 80's and thought he was quite arrogant as well. On the flip side, I suppose it must get pretty tiring answering the same questions over and over again for the geeks.

On the other hand, David Eddings, who I think is a pretty "fluffy" writer but still very enjoyable to read, was very personable. I met him at a signing just after the 4th Belgariad book came out and liked talking with him. We were at the end of a long line and got a chance to hang out for quite some time and ask detailed questions, which he quite visibly enjoyed answering. For example, he settled a disagreement I had with a friend over how to pronounce a character's name (I lost - but there was nothing like hearing it from the source!).

I haven't been to a book signing or sci-fi or gaming convention in a long time, so I have not had a chance to rub elbows with any younger major writers.

• Members

CHUCK. NORRIS. IS. NOT. THAT. COOL.

No he ain't. But I think it's kind of cool that a running joke about the guy was part of his comeback into public respectability.

Stupid, stupid internets...

He's riding a serious crest with conservative Christian mothers, apparently. My mother in law was reading one of his books. She has never seen one of his movies (a lot of his current book fans haven't) and just looked at me funny when I started riffing about how Bruce Lee ripped off Chuck's chest hairs and snapped his neck.

She looks at me funny a whole lot.

Archived