Help me price out a vintage (1983?) ProCo RAT pedal

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sort of. i have a '79 big box rat, and at one point had a early 90's big box rat both with the LM308 chip... and the early 90's rat sucked ass next to the '79 - it sounded "cheap" and overly creamy. the '79 had a lot more character. sure, if you've not heard an early model, a 90's rat will still probably sound pretty awesome. but if you get the chance to a/b it with an early model, you'll hear what i mean. if, god forbid, i lost my '79, i would hunt to the ends of the earth and pay $2-300 easy to replace it. Sold the 90's rat for $75 a while back.

Good points, and I agree. I guess that what I'm saying is even the less expensive Rats sound pretty good, and that spending 200.00-300.00 for the vintage is not necessary for most people.

• Members

Unless you are a vintage pedal collector, there is no need to pay more than 70.00-90.00 for a RAT. You can get a Made in USA, early 90's, LM308 RAT2 in this price range and it will sound awesome. Paying an extra 100.00 so you can play "grunge" is simply not worth the price.

Good luck.

Big old plus one.

I got my 1988 RatII w/ LM308 and Box, manual and warranty for $60 in the Spam thread.

Same pedal different box + snazzy paint and LED.

• Members

You cannot date a RAT by the serial number. You have to open it up and look at the pots. I've been trying to sell my RAT for a while but have only really been getting trade offers, but I haven't put it up on ebay yet either. But if you look in my sig, there'll be a 7 digit number on the pots, like i have listed, 137 means CTS, the second two numbers indicate what year they were made, and the last two indicate the week of the year they were made.

FWIW, I picked up my small box rat from guitar center for $50. generally speaking, though, they don't know that kinda stuff.

• Members

You cannot date a RAT by the serial number. You have to open it up and look at the pots. I've been trying to sell my RAT for a while but have only really been getting trade offers, but I haven't put it up on ebay yet either. But if you look in my sig, there'll be a 7 digit number on the pots, like i have listed, 137 means CTS, the second two numbers indicate what year they were made, and the last two indicate the week of the year they were made.

FWIW, I picked up my small box rat from guitar center for $50. generally speaking, though, they don't know that kinda stuff.

Good info about dating a RAT based on the pot digits. Thanks.

• Members

Good one.
:)

Isn't he more the master of the daisy-chained Deluxe Memory Mans (at least in the early part of his career)? Call me "Old School", but somehow, I don't see him ripping it up with a ProCo RAT.

This has nothing to do with your query, but he used a Rat on the recording of "Vertigo".

Carry on... :o

• Members

good job! that was a fair deal, and the old big box RATS are classics.

take him for a beer or something:thu:

it would probably sell for $250 or more on ebay.......but i think you did the right thing.

and the early big box RATS sound amazing, i don't care what anyone else says.

• Members

No mojo to me trying to sell mine?
:cry:
I think what I'm asking is fair considering what I could be getting on ebay for it.

damn man, $200 is a very fair price for one of those.....why not put it on ebay? start bidding at $199, and let it ride....

• Members

No mojo to me trying to sell mine?
:cry:
I think what I'm asking is fair considering what I could be getting on ebay for it.

Sorry, man! Mojo sent to booher, too. My bad. :facepalm:

You also made valuable contributions to this thread, and I'm ashamed that I neglected to give you props.

Archived