2x12 experts... Which 2x12 do you recommend for a beefier sound?

Kid_A

• Members

I really want to add some girth to my Vox sound, so I was thinking of just picking up a closed back 2x12 with greenbacks to fatten the sound live. Any suggestions as to what brands, styles are good?

Im based in the UK so no mention of mesa cabs! And I really really really dont like Vintage30 speakers...

Im thinking something like this:

212stack15.JPG

That angled cab only as 2x12 speakers in it!

• Members

I'd recommend a different amp, 'beefy' isn't a word that springs to mind when I think Vox, however many cabs it's running through....to be honest....

although I'd say anything with some G12H's in, those are beefy as {censored}.

• Members

I'd recommend a different amp, 'beefy' isn't a word that springs to mind when I think Vox, however many cabs it's running through....to be honest....

although I'd say anything with some G12H's in, those are beefy as {censored}.

Maybe beef was the wrong word? Im not looking for da brootalz...

I use my vintage 4x12 (greenbacks) with my vox in the studio and it "fills" the sound out nicely. The blues give a nice kerrching sound while the 4x12 adds bass and smooth crunch to the mix. Problem is, I dont want a 4x12 and AC30 for each show..

• Members

I use my vintage 4x12 (greenbacks) with my vox in the studio and it "fills" the sound out nicely. The blues give a nice kerrching sound while the 4x12 adds bass and smooth crunch to the mix. Problem is, I dont want a 4x12 and AC30 for each show..

lol, teh brutz.

ah.....I see. :thu:

• Members

Getting an oversized 2x12 w/greenbacks seems like a no brainer?

• Members

I can tell you that my discovery of the Earcandy Buzzbomb changed my approach to tone. I didn't "believe" in boutique cabs. But, when one came up on CL I just wanted to check it out.

Incredible. Highly suggested. Mine doesn't have his "green machines." I'd like to try those some day.

• Members

I get tons of beef out of my Avatar Contemporary 2x12" w/ 2x late '60s, cast frame Fanes. I had them in an Antone Stubby 2x12" until just the other day. Scored the Avatar to try the large 'contemporary' design & its pretty fantastic. The speakers already sounded pretty huge & the extra volume only helped. Love the build quality on the Avatar. I'd had a Lopo before, which was fine, but the Avatar is just a little cleaner & a little better looking than I'd expected for the $$$.

I've heard that the Avatar Contemporary cabs are built in the same shop as the Oranges - are they both made in the PRC? Any basis in reality for this? Dimensions & weight appear to be the same, obviously the grille cloth/tolex, etc. is different, as it the sexy bevel on the face of the Orange. . .

BTW, using the cab mostly w/ the YBA-1 in my avatar. Here is a pic of the cab w/ the Fanes in it:

• Members

I love my Bogner 212. But I've only ran it with my shiva so far. Might end up picking up a low wattage head to plonk on top.
:love:

i had that exact cab, and it sounded as big as a 4x12:eek:

not cheap tho.......

i love :love::love::love: revo's amp...mmmm.....shiva and matching 2x12. it's freaking SEXY!

• Members

The Avatar Comtemporary 2X12 has alot of bottom-end

With my cast frame Fanes, my Avatar Contemporary is pretty insane. I was playing my YBA-1 into it last night at practice & on our cover of 99 Luftballoons I kick in my Blue Box for the little synth solo - I swear the whole earth moved & {censored}. It was rad.

Archived