Spent some time with the Axe FX...

Aaron SS

• Members

There are so many features and different options that I never once tried when i had my standard. The one worth mentioning is pitch triggered effects (delay and trem in particular). Completely awesome :love:

Also does anyone have any clips/vids/experience with a Rat into an AC30? I've found it to be one of my favorite combos for a light overdriven tone.

• Members

It's a pretty generic thing to say but it's as complicated as you want it to be. The basic layout is pretty straightforward and simple but if you want to get into deep editing then there is a serious amount of presets you can get into.

• Members

Right now im just using the a 2 button footswitch via the 2 pedal inputs in the back. It's great because using normal non latching footswitches with the pedal inputs allows you to avoid any sort of midi programming. You can assign any function you want to the footswitches for each patch. For example on one patch I have switch 1 turn on delay and engage volume boost and on another it controls the reverb on/off....using the same switch. Or on the other hand you can set the switches globally so they retain the same function on each patch. Really nice feature.

• Members

OK, yeah.... I realized a few minutes after I said that, that you were actually talking about pitch tracking and not shifting. But either way...

Man I'm wishing I got the Ultra now. Reason being, I like a few of the crazy presets, especially "Velvet Sun." But I keep getting the "excessive CPU usage" message and it starts to distort. On the fractal forum they're telling me that preset was designed for the Ultra anyway. I'm going to try changing the cab block from stereo to mono and see if it works.

• Members

Clips don't do the Axe FX justice. I gig with one through a power amp > 4x12 cab. It sounds fantastic!

When Fractal Audio states that their tube amp sims react and play like real tube amps, they're not joking................................roll off the volume / pick softly and the amp sim cleans right; dig in and it barks. No noise, fizz, or digital artifacts. Sounds and plays like the real amp....................................and you can tweak it all to your heart's content.

Absolute best amp rig purchase I've ever made in over 35 years of playing.

• Members

When Fractal Audio states that their tube amp sims react and play like real tube amps, they're not joking................................roll off the volume / pick softly and the amp sim cleans right; dig in and it barks. No noise, fizz, or digital artifacts. Sounds and plays like the real amp..

Indeed!

• Members

Clips don't do the Axe FX justice. I gig with one through a power amp > 4x12 cab. It sounds fantastic!

When Fractal Audio states that their tube amp sims react and play like real tube amps, they're not joking................................roll off the volume / pick softly and the amp sim cleans right; dig in and it barks. No noise, fizz, or digital artifacts. Sounds and plays like the real amp....................................and you can tweak it all to your heart's content.

Ideally I would like to use just the AxeFX with no power amp or cab. I understand that some impulse responses are going to be included (Recabinet, http://recabi.net/ ).

I love the zenTera and would love something like that in a rack or floor model. The effects are not that great, but the amps are impressive, and the technology is already a few years old.

• Members

Agreed :thu:

• Members

Ideally I would like to use just the AxeFX with no power amp or cab. I understand that some impulse responses are going to be included (Recabinet,
).

There are lots of Axe FX users playing theirs board direct > FOH. It seems that most of them are using a flat response, full range speaker / monitor setup to hear themselves.

Eventually, I plan to run one output to the board with cab sims, the other to my cab (cab sims off) as a stage monitor.

A really nice thing about the Axe FX is Fractal Audio is in constant improvement mode with it - releasing firmware updates regularly.

• Members

Seems like I've been seeing a lot more people using AxeFX recently. I have no experience with the product, so I don't know, but is it really that good? Do you guys really think that people will continue gigging with these down the line, or do you think slowly people will start going back to their amp and pedalboard set ups? Just trying to figure out if it really is that good, or if it's just the new "flavor of the month" so to speak.

• Members

Seems like I've been seeing a lot more people using AxeFX recently. I have no experience with the product, so I don't know, but is it really that good? Do you guys really think that people will continue gigging with these down the line, or do you think slowly people will start going back to their amp and pedalboard set ups? Just trying to figure out if it really is that good, or if it's just the new "flavor of the month" so to speak.

It's legit.

One thing that assures me that that statement will hold true is the fact that Cliff (owner and designer of Fractal) constantly listens to requests and issues free updates regularly.

• Members

It's legit.

One thing that assures me that that statement will hold true is the fact that Cliff (owner and designer of Fractal) constantly listens to requests and issues free updates regularly.

I was over at the Axe-FX forum and there are sweet Slayer and Metallica soundclips :love:

I really need to go home and be able to play my Splawn to temper some of this Axe FX GAS. I also need to crank up the GA-75 and hit it with my SHO clone :mad:

Archived