AUDACITY'S FANTOM-G REVIEW / FAQ

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do all of the SRX boards have 64MB of samples in them?

If so, 12 SRX (01-12) * 64 MB = 768 MB Sound ROM.

Given the Fantom-G probably has some of the Fantom-X Base ROM, and the fact Roland has recorded some new samples, the numbers would suggest the Fantom-G only contains "the best of the best of the best" SRX samples.

There was also some overlap between the different SRX cards, and even a little with the Fantoms internal memory.

Honestly, there was *a lot* of space for reduction. there were quite a few samples, particulary in the percussion areas, that were very very similar, or similar enough that when used in a patch you could swap them and no one would even notice.

• Members

The PC133 RAM thing is really weird tho'. I'm not sure why they stuck with it.

I assume this is also cost related. By re-using the existing Fantom-X Sample RAM hardware, that was one less item they had to spend money on (they had to save money somehow to pay for that nice big 8.5" LCD screen). Kudos to Roland for upping the audio track count, by (it appears) further segmenting the existing RAM space.

Two questions:

1. Did the Fantom-X support 16 mono audio tracks, or 8 audio tracks, either mono or stereo?

2. Does the Fantom-G suport 24 stereo audio tracks, or 24 mono audio tracks, or 24 tracks, either mono or stereo?

• Members
1. Did the Fantom-X support 16 mono audio tracks, or 8 audio tracks, either mono or stereo?

2. Does the Fantom-G suport 24 stereo audio tracks, or 24 mono audio tracks, or 24 tracks, either mono or stereo?

The Fantom-X, Fantom-G, Juno-G, and MV-8x00 all utilize either mono or stereo samples for each of their respective tracks. Each can record one track at a time, but each track can be either mono or stereo. If Roland said "It's a 48-track recorder!", people would be pissed they couldn't record separately onto, say, tracks 33 and 34.

• Members

The Fantom-X, Fantom-G, Juno-G, and MV-8x00 all utilize either mono or stereo samples for each of their respective tracks. Each can record one track at a time, but each track can be either mono or stereo. If Roland said "It's a 48-track recorder!", people would be pissed they couldn't record separately onto, say, tracks 33 and 34.

Thanks. So to clarify my understanding, Roland went from 8 audio tracks (either mono or stereo) in the Fantom-X up to 24 audio tracks (either mono or stereo) in the Fantom-G? If so, that is quite an improvement.

• Members

When I saw the Fantom-G on Thursday, it was in the little theater Roland had made (between shows). Still noisy in there, but WAY more quiet than on the floor. Even with headphones, it's nearly impossible to really judge the G's sound quality when on the tradeshow floor. Today was a good day for follow-up questions, as NAMM was less crowded, but I didn't get to go into the theater this time. :(

More FAQs/Observations (again, PRELIMINARY INFORMATION)

Does Roland know about this thread?

Yes; they actually seemed a bit amused by it. "Oh! We were wondering 'Who in the world is this guy?'" And they corrected some bad information. Details to follow.

Are the audio tracks part of the 128 or on top?

I thought 128 included the 24 audio tracks. Nope, 128 MIDI tracks plus 24 audio tracks.

Will throwing a 1GB RAM chip hurt anything?

No, and there's nothing keeping one from trying it (other than wasting money). It just might not work and might not display the correct amount of memory (even though it may still be accessible). Roland said "what we officially support and what's doable aren't necessarily the same thing." Indeed, I seem to remember some people getting the MV-8000 to see 1GB of RAM as well.

Can I assign multiple MFX processors to single patches or single parts?

Right now, it doesn't look like it. In fact, I couldn't get parts within Live Sets (where the FX switching is seamless) to assign to the two extra MFX processors at all. Things might change, but right now, it seems to be one MFX per part, with the two extra MFX processors (plus reverb plus chorus/delay plus input MFX) for the audio tracks.

What's the sequencer resolution?

I didn't have a chance to check this out. I'm guessing it's still 480ppq. However, I did notice that the tempo has a .01 BPM resolution now (it was single BPM in the X). Cool.

Is the color the same?

I didn't see any Fantom-Xes lying around to compare, but from what I remember the X looking like, yeah. They look to be the same shade of silver. I really wish they would've gone V-Synth black. The V is sexy as hell.

How many tracks are there in pattern mode?

I couldn't access pattern mode. I did notice the term "phrase" a lot, and it appeared one could select a MIDI object, save it as a phrase, and then paste/insert it onto other tracks in other locations.

Can you still record multiple channels worth of data on a single track?

Don't know; the event list wasn't fully functional on the particular model I was checking out.

Do the ARX boards really add polyphony? If so, how much?

The ARX boards are processors/synths themselves, so they add polyphony and multitimbrality to the rest of the G. As for how much, I was told "it depends on the ARX board and what's currently running". One thing I noticed was a little DSP meter for the electric piano card that certainly reacted to my playing, but it didn't seem related to how many notes I played at all. In fact, it would jump around a bit even when holding one note.

Can you tell us a bit more about how SuperNatural works? What kind of synthesis is it?

Roland was a bit tight-lipped about this one. Presumably, each card is a bit different, but the Electric Piano appears to at least use some sort of modeling technology, as you can change preamps and cabinets. You can even choose the age/condition of the Rhodes (from 1 to 5, whatever that means). I wanted to hear the complete lack of velocity switching on the drum card, but the floor was way too noisy to confirm this, even on headphones.

How are parts organized?

In the Fantom-X, if you wanted a part to, say control a Virus, you'd have to set it to either external or both. With the G, you get sixteen dedicated external parts on top of the sixteen internal parts and two ARX parts. Each external part gets its own volume, pan, and program/bank changes. So it's way easier to incorporate external modules now.

One thing was weird, though

• Members

If I were the set designer of the next star trek series ... I'd make that the audio engineer's desk ... I think a synthesist/sound engineer would be a good addition to the deck crew ... after the opening episode that established the CE3K jingle as the official language of the universe ... (looking back, I probably thought that the coolest scene in a movie ever ... !!!amy be it still is ... )

BTW ... A.U. ... GREAT WORK on all the Fantom-G info ... I was very skeptical of this "G" at first ... but it took the Fantom X forward in a lot of positive ways ... I don't think X owners NEED to run and get a G model ... but I think in just about every way it would be even more of a pleasure to use ...

I really hope there's a VA and V-Synth

• Members

Heyy Juno 106,my first ever synth purchase.......memories.Enjoy Diametro.

Audacity,thanks again for the heads up,the info provided by you is worth its weight in gold,far more useable than all the pointless video's doing the rounds with all the Roland demonstrators ,IMO not selling the G very well.The roland official info is'n that great either.

Proper useful facts that the user wants to know about,workflow,consistencies and changes to the operation of the G.

Spot on mate,cheers.

• Members

Can I assign multiple MFX processors to single patches or single parts?

Right now, it doesn't look like it. In fact, I couldn't get parts within Live Sets (where the FX switching is seamless) to assign to the two extra MFX processors at all. Things might change, but right now, it seems to be one MFX per part, with the two extra MFX processors (plus reverb plus chorus/delay plus input MFX) for the audio tracks.

:(

My favorite organ sounds on my Fantom S involve running the waves through the MFX Guitar Amp and VK sims in series. Hopefully the new effects system will allow something along those lines.

It sounds like this isn't even close to being done. It would be good for all if Roland takes their time before releasing it. Even if that means 6-9 months from now. Nothing is more frustrating than buying a new keyboard full of bugs and incomplete features.

• Members
Just watched the G video on Roland's site... That sequencer/audio editing looks insane, this display really puts the oasys' to shame.

A negative comment about the Oasys from G-bus - what a surprise!
:rolleyes:

The Fantom screen looks nice, for sure, but it's smaller than the Oasys and not a touch-screen.

• Members

Please, lets not start that Oasys {censored} again....

This Fantom is looking great so far, can't wait to hear more sounds from it. Right now I'm wondering about two things:

1) Effect chaining. 22 MFX parts sounds fantastic but I'm hoping there's a way to chain at least 2-3 of them at a time. I'm fine with effects per part, but if you can't stack at least two of them I'd be really disappointed.

2) What this means for the next MV model. I'm glad that this new Fantom appears to have inherited part of the MV's project file setup (which I liked quite a bit). As a result, I ask for the following in the next MV model:
- same screen (tiltable, preferrably)
- same soundset
- sliders, 4 knobs
- hard drive
- its ok to leave off the CD drive/burning utilities, we have computers now
- AT LEAST 1 ARX SLOT

Archived