AUDACITY'S FANTOM-G REVIEW / FAQ

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

2) What this means for the next MV model. I'm glad that this new Fantom appears to have inherited part of the MV's project file setup (which I liked quite a bit). As a result, I ask for the following in the next MV model:

- same screen (tiltable, preferrably)

- same soundset

- sliders, 4 knobs

- hard drive

- its ok to leave off the CD drive/burning utilities, we have computers now

- AT LEAST 1 ARX SLOT

+1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I got a Fantom G6. It is everything and bag of Doritos. And I must say, this was the first time I saw this post and I was SO HAPPY to see Audacity pointout:

1) Motif XS has screen redraw issues. Man I thought I was the only one who noticed this. People on motifator.com told a brotha he was crazy. I hate the XS screen delays. Button delays too. CAn't even work fast no more like you could with the ES. Yamaha blew it.

2) The Fantom G IS better than the M3 and XS for hiphop, dance, R&b, etc. No question about it. No comparison. The Fantom G is essentially MIX READY, tasty, delicious patches just waiting to be stacked endless with other tracks. Right out of the box you can overdub 5 patches in a song without a single EQ adjustment. A LOT of producers are going to make a LOT of hit records with the Fantom G. I guarantee it

MMMMMMm those Fantom G electric pianos. MMMM and those acoustic guitars and organs. And the SWEET drum kits all crunchy and dope ! Oh Lord have mercy the Fantom is going to be all over Billboard.

Yamaha is in trouble as far as workstations go. Fantom makes the XS look like dog doo doo-- especially the sequencer and the screen. Not even in the same ballpark. Fantom G with a mouse plugged in is like a DAW . For real real. Insane

High five Roland. Y'all did it. Now update the OS and fix those little issues (you know which ones I'm talking bout)

• Members

Right out of the box you can overdub 5 patches in a song without a single EQ adjustment.

:poke:

Oh Lord have mercy the Fantom is going to be all over Billboard.

"Oh no you di'n't!"

Glad you're enjoying your new Fantom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got a chance to check the Fantom G8 for a few minutes today.

The keys - Wow! Some of the best I've played. The action is superb. :thu:
Knobs and sliders felt good. Screen is huge and almost seems a bit overdone, but really supplies a lot of info.
Still has that lever thingie though - I don't like it at all.
Sounds - :confused: I didn't even notice. The keys felt so good, I wouldn't mind if they gutted it and sold it as a controller. :lol:

• Members
The keys felt so good, I wouldn't mind if they gutted it and sold it as a controller.

They should. The best dedicated controller made to this day was the Roland A-90 (and its 76-key unweighted counterpart, the A-70) and it was discontinued over ten years ago. No one's made a truly professional controller since. I'm really curious as to what the market might be for one.

• Members

They should. The best dedicated controller made
to this day
was the Roland A-90 (and its 76-key unweighted counterpart, the A-70) and it was discontinued over ten years ago. No one's made a truly professional controller since. I'm really curious as to what the market might be for one.

I agree 100%. I have two A-90:s and an A-70. Love them to death, but ponder selling them before they start wearing down. However, most of the stuff I use my A-series controllers for can be done with something like Plogue Bidule today. But I'd love to see a new series of midi master keyboards. Kurzweils new PC3 seems to the best right now.

• Members

No one's made a truly professional controller since. I'm really curious as to what the market might be for one.

From my experience, Kurzweil makes great controllers, if not the best ones (the pc series).

• Members

A lot of people seem to like the A80 better than the A90, controller-wise... but I haven't played the A90, so I don't know. I just took those opinions I found into consideration when I got my A80.

The A-80 has polyphonic aftertouch, right? I found the editing on the A-50/80 a bit backwards (I had an A-50), the A-70/90 is very straight forward. If for instance you want to edit a controller, just press edit and touch the controller (can be a foot pedal or anything) and you're taken to the right menu.

• Members
The A-80 has polyphonic aftertouch, right? I found the editing on the A-50/80 a bit backwards (I had an A-50), the A-70/90 is very straight forward. If for instance you want to edit a controller, just press edit and touch the controller (can be a foot pedal or anything) and you're taken to the right menu.

Yeah it's supposed to... but I haven't been able to make my aftertouch work at all. It might be broken or I'm just doing something wrong.
I haven't really programmed it at all... I just like the feel of the keys :love:
But now with 4 modules, I'm going to have to try and do something.

Archived