AUDACITY'S FANTOM-G REVIEW / FAQ

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do any of the onboard ROM samples differ from what is available on the Fantom-X along with the appropriate complement of SRX boards? (i.e. is there anything new that one couldn't achieve with a Fantom-X and the appropriate SRX expansion board?

Emphatically, yes. Some patches have been brought over, some patches are new (but utilizing older raw waveforms), many are completely new samples and patches. Was told that any older raw samples have been reintroduced to the new chip/engine from the original, uncompressed data, so they sound notably better now, and that a good majority of content has be brought up-to-date. Roland kept stressing the sound quality over anything else, and from what I could hear on a noisy NAMM floor, it doesn't disappoint. Will definitely need a quiet room and a pair of headphones come April.

Audacity,

Thanks for doing this man. That's TOTALLY what I wanted to hear. Definitely holding off on the Motif XS until I hear this. I Can't wait to play it! I always liked the Fantom Better as a "Workstation", I just wasn't nuts about the blanket over the sound of the X. Sounds like they resolved that and other issues as well. I just might get my first Roland!

Come on April!

• Members

I'm not in the market for a new workstation but I love the USB audio integration, I could definitely use that.

If they can't go larger they
really
screwed up.

Motif and Triton have supported USB hard drives and CD-ROM since 2004...Triton even does audio CD burning over USB.

Just FYI: the V-Synth GT has the same USB functionality (minus the mouse port) that the G does, and I have successfully been using a 100gb USB2 hard drive with it. And its freeking FAST.

• Members
13. ARX is
not
AP Synthesis. If I understand it correctly, it's more of a combination of realtime COSM-esque modeling and manipulation of sound (sample) parameters. For instance, one can graphically change the pickup location of a Rhodes piano or adjust the shell depth of a kick drum. You could even choose the condition of the instrument (from 1 to 5) and how rusty the tines are.
:freak:
Tweaking is audibly obvious, but I'm not sure if this same technology could be manipulated into, say, different synthesis methods. A virtual analog, FM, or LA synthesis ARX board? Perhaps; no one was talking.

That doesn't sound too promising, sounds much like an extension of the standard subtractive synth processing that was present on the Fantom-X with SRX-12. I was hoping for something that resembled the MKS20's SAS (not S&S) Structured Adaptive Synthesis where there's no audible switching between low and high sample layers.

• Members

Audacity Works, thank you! You have really fleshed out what this thing is.

Now I'm really excited. I think I can finally replace all my Roland romplers with this one. It's got sliders, and with the extended functionality of the pads- tone select, effect switches, simple patch call up without resorting to RPS, and even a num pad! All these things I missed on the earlier Fantoms and why I still have been using an XP-60 and XP-80 more than my Fantom S. These are all things no one else would have mentioned. Or have. Everyone is focusing on arps...:freak:

Do you remember if you want to simply turn effects on-off, does that bring up that totally stupid sub screen that freezes out all other onscreen functions until you exit it, like current Fantoms? That, and it's cousin- the tone on-off/select screen that does the same damage- are the two most infuriating things about the Fantom OS... things that the older XPs did effortlessly because they had dedicated front panel buttons.

I also was disappointed to see the menu button still there. I thought it was gone. I hope that it no longer brings up that sprawling list of functions that overflows the older Fantom's screen and makes accessing parameters at the bottom of the list... cumbersome, to be charitable.

• Members

That doesn't sound too promising, sounds much like an extension of the standard subtractive synth processing that was present on the Fantom-X with SRX-12. I was hoping for something that resembled the MKS20's SAS (not S&S) Structured Adaptive Synthesis where there's no audible switching between low and high sample layers.

Yeah that would be cool... but minus the MKS's noisy quantisation... ! I played an RD and MKS back in the mid 90s and my bandmates always thought it was my squeaky pedal!

Its difficult to know what exactly the ARXs will bring... sample data + program to manipulate that sound data in some way... I think a GB of piano sound data + algorithms which run on the G's processor might be a great GEM, Promega beater...

• Members

Such Audacity. ;)

You've revealed almost as much as Keyboard does in their skimpy reviews these days! But... how do the filters sound? Synthesists want to know these things. I guess I'll have to open the hood myself when they come to Guitar Center.

I will have to say that the G isn't making me forget about the M3, but it is diverting my attention from the Motif XS somewhat. But yes, I want one.

• Members

Thanks a lot Audacity for the feedback and review. :thu:

So I guess the old Fantom-S/X patches/performances will not be compatible with the new G.
This is a major disapointement for me, with the available tech, I can believe they couldn't included the entire Fantom X's waveset + SRX best off + new waveset. :rolleyes:

No word on the Filter options/mode ??
Only the usual LP BP HP ??

Thanks again.

• Members

really interesting would be how the fantom integragtes in to a software sequencer. does it stream the audio on seperate channels?

Wow, great question! Do we know if when transfering something that we have recorded on the Fantom (say 4 tracks) who is the transfer handled. One track at a time, all at once, but to seperate tracks, etc.

Didn't even think of that.

My guess, because Roland did something like this YEARS ago with one of their VS recorder, was that the gave us a program that we installed on our computers, we saved the files to either a CD or transfered via the USB, and the Roland software kept track of all of the tracks, their numbers and time stamps, and then we were able to import them into something like Sonar.

It's been a while since I had used that, but I think that's how it worked.

Very good question though.

• Members

BTW: Audacity, you are simply insane...that review rocked and I can't believe how much work you put into it.

Thanks again for all of your hard work, input, and for reading through all of the questions we had, and making sure to hit as many of those as possible.

Roland should really go through, make any edits that they would like, add a few other questions that perhaps they have received, and post it on their site as a FAQ. And then send you a free Fantom G.

But that's just my opinion :thu:

• Members

Do all of the SRX boards have 64MB of samples in them?

If so, 12 SRX (01-12) * 64 MB = 768 MB Sound ROM.

Given the Fantom-G probably has some of the Fantom-X Base ROM, and the fact Roland has recorded some new samples, the numbers would suggest the Fantom-G only contains "the best of the best of the best" SRX samples.

• Members

Given the Fantom-G probably has some of the Fantom-X Base ROM, and the fact Roland has recorded some new samples, the numbers would suggest the Fantom-G only contains "the best of the best of the best" SRX samples.

You are correct. I thought Roland was pretty clear in their video (visit Rolandus.com to view the video) that they have put the best selections from ALL of the SRX boards in to the Fantom.

They seem to want to point out that their are sounds that they included from each and EVERY board (leaving none out) and that it was only a selection from each.

They also, along with what I have read from people who have actually heard this thing live at NAMM, are wanting to stress that even the OLD samples and tones sound better on this board board due to higher end and new processing. And we have already seen a few people confirm that Roland is not over stating this point. That some of the old patches indeed do sound better.

And last but not least, they wanted to stress that they also have included a TON of new tones along with giving us all of our old favorites (but sounding better now, of course).

• Members

Funny you know.
I was looking and getting some sort of hardware configuration back in the studio and upgrading my notebook.
In fact I have just saved up enough money for a fully optioned MV8800 + Monitor.
Now I am looking at keeping my current notebook (it runs Live, Reaktor 5 and Reason 4 just fine) then just marry that with the new Fantom G and pretty much be done with it.
Really would enable me to milk a few more years out of my notebook and just invest in the FantomG and some new monitors for the studio.
Hell it looks like I can get rid of my small mixer and echo indigo pcmcia audio card also.
First workstation that looks like it will float my boat in a long time unless Yamaha decide to make an RS9000 with an XS engine and full editing capabilities that is.

• Members

More observations (comments/questions from HC and Fantomized):

I also was disappointed to see the menu button still there. I thought it was gone. I hope that it no longer brings up that sprawling list of functions that overflows the older Fantom's screen and makes accessing parameters at the bottom of the list...

I think the Menu remembers the last mode selected, so if you were last in the System Menu, pressing MENU automatically highlights the System Menu. Press ENTER and you're there. Oh, and the ENTER button still accesses any parameter's value list, even though it's not labeled ENTER/LIST. Yes!

Do you remember if you want to simply turn effects on-off, does that bring up that totally stupid sub screen that freezes out all other onscreen functions until you exit it, like current Fantoms? That, and it's cousin- the tone on-off/select screen that does the same damage- are the two most infuriating things about the Fantom OS... things that the older XPs did effortlessly because they had dedicated front panel buttons.
The Pad modes include both tone select/tone switch buttons and FX bypass switches. They're not dedicated buttons, but it's about as close as one could get.

But... how do the filters sound?
Have no idea. I doubt the demonstrators do either. The noise on the NAMM floor is near-deafening. Roland is over by all the drum companies. :freak:

So I guess the old Fantom-S/X patches/performances will not be compatible with the new G.
Others have complained that there are any recycled waveforms at all. You people have to make up your minds! ;) Somehow the Fantom-X was able to load XV-5080 patches, but it's impossible for every Roland keyboard to be compatible with the previous keyboard's patches

Archived