Best NAMM in years?

Birdienumnum

• Members

Novation taking a nap???

OK, so their controllers are among the best (which aint saying much considering all/most of the others are cheap nasty plastic things), but their synths? When the hell happened to their synth dev team of a few years back??

AFAIK Chris Huggett (who also designed the Wasp and OSCar synths, as well as the OS for the AKAI S1000) is still with them. I'm not sure how many others were involved in the earlier synths, but he seems to be the main dev. Focusrite bought them out about 3 or 4 years back though.

• Members

Nothing from kurzweil?I mean that the new synth(K3000?)is not on the market before 2010.(Always a year between the announcement and the release of kurzweil new product,if it appears in 2009).

I like to see VA-1 finish also.

Why can it be in PC 3X and not finish off the real VA-1.

• Members

Ok, it may just be a little thing, but this thing is perfect for a couple little things that I am working on:

Alesis MultiPort - http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=122

It will allow me to record directly to my iPod and it also functions as a very simple little sound card.

*Nothing earth shatering, but I'll be picking one of these up.

Alesis introducted a bigger version of this last year:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ALE-IMM8USB.html

And Belkin has been TRY to release theirs:

http://www.belkin.com/tunestudio/

But both of those have more than what I am looking for.

I just want to be able to have something very simple like the new MultiPort so that I can take a line out form the mixer to record my live sets, and then also have the out put run to the mixer so that I can play the iPod durring the breaks, and having really small little sound card like this will be cool as well so that I can easily take it with me when traveling or going over to another musicians house with my laptop.

I would assume that it will be in the $150 range, but I haven't see any really prices yet. All in all I'll be picking one of these ups. Nothing real professional, but a nice and convient little tool.

• Members

I used to be heavily emotionally invested in Yamaha, with my DX7IID. But that was so long ago. First they dropped user-defined microtonal scale capability, ...

You have Logic, Birdie. It has great support for scales, including Hermode and user-defined. Unfortunately, Pianoteq doesn't repond to Logic's tuning messages, but it supports a standard (the name of which I forget) and has bunches of scales and key mappings and you can construct your own tunings pretty easily. (I constructed files for well-tempered with different tonics than the usual 'C' but I've lost them and will have to reconstruct; when I do that, I'll let you know.)

I've committed myself to well temperaments and, at this point, can't imagine why anyone playing tonal music would use the equal tempered scale. The differences are clearly audible, 99% positive and are profound--augmenting and complimenting the entire tonality of the piece.

• Members

Yeah, 210d also houses Analogue Haven's booth this year...they've got some great stuff on display too
:thu:

Any chance you can snap a couple pics? You take some nice shots.

edit: maybe those are your shots on fdisc(sp?)? They seem to have your angle/style and don't show the left side control area.

• Members

Well, another NAMM day has come and gone, and I still think youse guys are a bit too jaded. After all, this was a good year for those who wanted a real old school analog (Moog) and a tabletop analog (DSI) plus steller contributions from Roland, Access, Waldorf, and Akai, just to name a few. NOT SHABBY! :thu: [birdie dons a cheerleading outfit and hops up and down]

• Members

It's been a loong time since I've been to a NAMM that debuted a product that made me go, "OOOOOHHH! I WANT THAT!!!!" (Usually Summer NAMM or Musikmesse has spoiled that). I was at the show Friday and didn't seem to GAS for anything in particular.

What I do enjoy out of NAMM these days is:

- The social aspect, running into friends, meeting new ones

- The technical support aspect - you can chat with product support folks from the company and they can help you out with a product you own

- Meeting/running into artists, celebs, etc. (I met Herbie Hancock on Friday!!!)

- Free lanyards, bags, candy, magazines and other swag :)

Archived