Wondering if there are any painters here?

companyman

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by orangesix

View Post

BTW, sorry for hi jacking your thread with all of my crap.

no hijacking at all, this was exactly what I was looking for! I wouldn't say your drummers work is better than yours, only different. As for applying for the B.F.A. you just need to keep working at it. Build a cohesive body of work, you have the right idea with the series that you are planning on doing hundreds of...

make it happen man , only you can do it, no one can make you do it except you. Try working on multiple pieces at a time, lose the notion of working each piece obsessively, like it will be your masterpiece , that is an outdated idea anyway. The B.F.A. panel judges will be looking for well developed concepts as much as technical skills, probably more so. They will also be impressed if you are working independently from class assignments...we need more Artists . Party less , create more! Good luck! wave.gif

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

just looked him up. It is amazing work. I take the comparison as a compliment. Right now i am an undergrad here in Corpus Christi. I'm not the greatest student academically but a few of the professors are pushing for me a bit.I actually haven't applied for the BFA program yet because i have no portfolio. these pics are just stuff i take to document my progress as an artist(which i really don't consider myself one yet). the majority of the other students here do either photography or paint flowers so no one ever buys my work.

as for you being an Artist , only you can decide that, it is NOT dictated by the market (whether you sell your work) many great Artists have sold very little work in their life time. Don't forget Van Gogh...wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by companyman

View Post

as for you being an Artist , only you can decide that, it is NOT dictated by the market (whether you sell your work) many great Artists have sold very little work in their life time. Don't forget Van Gogh...wink.gif

thanks for the kind words. i'd like to see more if your work if you get the chance to post any.

• Members

View Post

no hijacking at all, this was exactly what I was looking for! I wouldn't say your drummers work is better than yours, only different. As for applying for the B.F.A. you just need to keep working at it. Build a cohesive body of work, you have the right idea with the series that you are planning on doing hundreds of...

make it happen man , only you can do it, no one can make you do it except you. Try working on multiple pieces at a time, lose the notion of working each piece obsessively, like it will be your masterpiece , that is an outdated idea anyway. The B.F.A. panel judges will be looking for well developed concepts as much as technical skills, probably more so. They will also be impressed if you are working independently from class assignments...we need more Artists . Party less , create more! Good luck! wave.gif

my technical skills are limited but improving. i've got a bunch of stuff here i'm working on all at once and a good amount of finished work as well so I think i'm headed in the right direction. it is all fairly cohesive. I think i generally always have a similar aesthetic no matter what medium i'm using. the BFA panel all know me personally and they all seem to enjoy my work, I just don't get good grades in school.

• Members

I used to paint a lot - even sold a few paintings and had some of my work published. No, not "major" stuff - but cool for me. Haven't in a while though. I miss it - but I also have 3 kids now (ages 5,2 and 1) - so my artwork is mostly in Crayola. smile.gif I don't dare pull out the oils for another few years. My avatar is one of my paintings - and then I "photoshopped" my eyed into it for the heck of it.

• Members

I make my living as a painter. I got a BFA in 97. In university I always thought I would try to make a living in a band, but the opportunities came first in the art world and music became my hobby. There is a link to some of the work my friends and I have made in my signature.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by danceatron

View Post

I make my living as a painter. I got a BFA in 97. In university I always thought I would try to make a living in a band, but the opportunities came first in the art world and music became my hobby. There is a link to some of the work my friends and I have made in my signature.

wow! this stuff is gold!

my friends and I are fixing to start renting out a space to make music and art. all of this work is inspiring.

• Members

View Post

wow. wow. wow.

we should start trading art instead of pedals.

If you look on my website there is a section for trading art for other things and on my list is guitar pedals. I've traded lots of paintings for guitar pedals, microphones,etc.

• Members

I never did very well with paints, I'm envious of those who can. My wife is a fabulous painter.

I have never been happier with my own stuff tho. I loves the digital canvas, it's perfect for me. I've been using a mouse to "paint" since the first macs in the 80s

mac128.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPimp

View Post

I never did very well with paints, I'm envious of those who can. My wife is a fabulous painter.

I have never been happier with my own stuff tho. I loves the digital canvas, it's perfect for me. I've been using a mouse to "paint" since the first macs in the 80s

mac128.jpg

whether you are happy with your work is all that really matters in Art, critics be damned! The computer is just another in a long line of tools and processes in which to create, like the printing press, screen printing, collage, found object sculpture, encaustic, painting, acrylic paints etc. ect.

The main problem I have with the computer manipulation in the new abstraction is that the actual painting process has been subverted, it has become an after thought, one that the painters feel is required to "legitimize" the work on the computer, to make the "saleable" product. So this has led me to the inevitable destruction of the "brain" of the computer and the "rebirth" of it in the form of a primitive form of creative matter, pigment and vehicle, PAINT.

• Members

View Post

whether you are happy with your work is all that really matters in Art, critics be damned! The computer is just another in a long line of tools and processes in which to create, like the printing press, screen printing, collage, found object sculpture, encaustic, painting, acrylic paints etc. ect.

The main problem I have with the computer manipulation in the new abstraction is that the actual painting process has been subverted, it has become an after thought, one that the painters feel is required to "legitimize" the work on the computer, to make the "saleable" product. So this has led me to the inevitable destruction of the "brain" of the computer and the "rebirth" of it in the form of a primitive form of creative matter, pigment and vehicle, PAINT.

the main problem I have is people who think that painting is somehow a more valid form of art when really it just boils down to people wanting to have something that no one else does. They want the "original" painting so they can feel special which has nothing to do with actually appreciating the art itself.

Archived