Wondering if there are any painters here?

companyman

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist

View Post

I used to.... but I havent for 6 years now... I dont have the time, but will likely get back into it.... I have started taking small strides towards it, and will try to do one major piece this summer

good luck with getting back to it....your muse misses you I'm sure!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by companyman

View Post

collage has always been one of my favorite Art forms...one of the few truly Modern forms of expression...it is so limitless.

right now im doing a series of small found object collage right now. there's a little drawing, painting, and printmaking involved as well. i'll try and upload some pics here soon.

• Members

View Post

I'm not very good with this computer stuff...you can click on this thumbnail for a larger image. This is Cadmium, Barium, Cobalt, Lead, Graphite, Rose Madder, ground computer circuit boards, oil and acrylic emulsion on canvas. 6'x6'

this i like.

do you have pics of your graduate work? i'd like to see.

• Members

View Post

I really like those...remind me of Rauschenberg mixed with Cy Twombley. Nice work man !

thank you. i'm not aware of Cy Twombley. the bottom one was just in a show. i have a few dozen of this series, i plan to do hundreds. For my BFA show I may try and do some of these on a large scale.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by orangesix

View Post

this is the kind of stuff i'm doing right now. very small found art collage mixed with drawing and printmaking.

Picture050.jpg

View Post

I'm not very good with this computer stuff...you can click on this thumbnail for a larger image. This is Cadmium, Barium, Cobalt, Lead, Graphite, Rose Madder, ground computer circuit boards, oil and acrylic emulsion on canvas. 6'x6'

i keep coming back to this thread to stare at these 2. great work

• Members

View Post

this i like.

do you have pics of your graduate work? i'd like to see.

unfortunately it is all on slides, haven't gotten around to transferring to jpegs yet. Someday. It is quite Minimalist, slick mirror-like surfaces butted against exaggerated textural surfaces... I made my own paints using Cadmium Red & Yellow,Barium, Cobalt, lead and graphite. Very much into the symbologies inherent in the pigments themselves. All of those materials have a dualism inherent in them,

they were all used in the production of the first atomic bomb at Los Alamos, and are used in Artist's materials. Depending on context, ultimate destruction, or ultimate creation. I based my Graduate thesis on this "Modernist notion of Alchemy".

• Members

View Post

this was my first painting ever. acrylic,ink, and paper on canvas.

Picture055.jpg

that is very strong work. You really should look up Cy Twombly , you will see the connection I think, he is a bridge from the Abstract Expressionists, Pop Artists and the Conceptualist Painters of the 70's. A very understated Artist, used white in a very new way. Where in Texas are you? I spent some time in the Fort Worth Art Museum, Pillsbury I think it was called, they had a nice collection, Dekooning, Rothko, Newman, Nauman etc, etc.

• Members

View Post

this is the kind of crap i'm working on right now for class. acrylic on masonite. this one is about 85% done. my critique is tomorrow night. still life is not my strong suit as you can see.

Picture049.jpg

class assignments can be a drag I know...but much can be learned from still life painting, the whole nature of painting can be traced back in its history. One of my mentors , John Lees has established a major career on his still lifes, he shows with Betty Cunningham and Hirschl Adler Modern in NY and has work in the Met and major collections all over the world, thanks to still lifes! Keep on working man !

Archived