Wondering if there are any painters here?

companyman

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by companyman

View Post

Just wondering if anyone around the forum paints in a serious manner, not house painters for all you sarcastic bastards! smile.gif Anyone take visual Art as seriously as you do your musical projects?

More seriously, although I don't paint much. I got a bunch of acrylics recently though, I want to start doing them. I mostly use pen and charcoal. Guitar is actually the side hobby, I suck at it really, I just have a thing for sounds and textures, and I want to design my own guitars and amps someday. I'm also obsessed with popular music, especially rock.

• Members

Im in the process of getting a BFA in Fine Arts. im not great at rendering, but i'm decent and im getting pretty good with charcoal. i do more mixed media stuff than anything else. i've got a few pieces exhibited right now.

i take my music and visual arts both very serious.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by orangesix View Post
Im in the process of getting a BFA in Fine Arts. im not great at rendering, but i'm decent and im getting pretty good with charcoal. i do more mixed media stuff than anything else. i've got a few pieces exhibited right now.

i take my music and visual arts both very serious.
this explains so much about your taste for more experimental-type abstracted music. Cool, good for you dude! Good luck with the B.F.A., I have an M.F.A. in Painting and Drawing. I wouldn't worry about your rendering skills...these days that kind of skill is centered in Design, actually not even there, computers do all of the work. I would say focusing your skills in conceptual development and the creative act are paramount. A unity in methodology and vision is very important. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by companyman View Post
but...I suppose it is important to learn the rules before you break them as well !
I agree.

Last year i was struggling with that because I wanted to break every rule but I wasn't any good, but I quickly realized that skill and technique is necessary.

People will look at Pollock and think "I can' do that", but that's not the case at all.

• Members

i love painting but haven't done anything for a few months; i've done plenty of sketching though.

i tend to go through cycles where either music or painting takes the main focus - right now i'm in a music phase.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by orangesix View Post
i really need to put together a portfolio. i need someone to photograph my stuff. the series i'm doing right now is all really small so it makes it hard to take good pictures.
I am the same way with documentation. I have a terrible habit of building up a large body of work(generally largish canvases 6'x6' or larger) then end up abandoning them , or destroying them when it comes time to move because I just don't have the room to transport them. I always do this before I document the work...terrible habit. I guess I feel that if I destroy my work it will motivate me doubley to produce more work.

You should look into doing a trade of work for services with a student in your schools Photography Dept., this is how I always did it in Graduate school, a 12 pack and a bag of herb can get you pretty far with the creative types as well !

• Members

my last ambitious series was a commentary on the rampant use of computer manipulation in Abstract painting that is...developed on the computer , then transferred to canvas , almost as an after thought . So I essentially reversed the ubiquitous process by collecting computer circuit boards, grinding them up into a pigment, then suspending them in acrylic emulsion in grid based Abstractions...I think I have a disc with some rough photos of them somewhere, I'll look around and post some if I can find them.

Archived