another Sonic Youth thread - identify the pedals Lee has on his mic stand - pics

• Members

anyone seen them live recently? what are they?

looks like an ibanez ad-9 and something green.

i took these grabs from their performance on Later onthe bbc tonight, UKers can watch it on iPlayer to get a better view.

he didn't touch them during the song they played, what songs does he use them on?

b4gd2e.jpg

357k2f7.jpg

2lnv1xw.jpg

30aubmb.jpg

258xf9h.jpg

• Members

The pink one is an Ibanez AD-80 analog delay (awesome delay) and not sure about the other one.

yep, thet's the one i meant, with the flat square button

ad-80.JPG

the green one is too small to be a dl-4 and it would seem to be one he would want to fiddle with (he's getting old, no more kneeling down :D)

• Members

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gear.html

Here's what he was using in 2006:

# DOD 2-Second Delay

# Klon Centaur

# Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor

# Ibanez AD-80 Analog Delay

# MXR Blue Box

# Danelectro Wasabi

# Custom "Honey Bee"

# Electro-Harmonix Microsynth

# Ernie Ball Expression Pedal (for Moogerfooger)

# Moogerfooger Ring Modulator

For the new album I think they're using a few new things, so their boards have probably changed a bit. I'm sure we'll know more pretty soon.

No pedal in the world is going to make you sound like Lee Ranaldo though.

• Members

watching the extended edition of Later and Thurston was playing his signature model prototype, that thing is extremely worn in for a guitar that's less than 9 months old (see this thread), loads of pick marks above the pickguard and sharpie writing on the upper horn :)

lee was playing a white jazzblaster.

fnwyab.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Towards the end of the set when I watched them last, Lee pulled out his guitar lead and plugged into some sort of handheld box. It sounded fairly synth-like. Perhaps just some kind of boutique oscillating noise maker...

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen them live recently and spotted this? Any ideas on what it is?

DSCN1753.jpg

DSCN1755.jpg

Archived