Sonic Stomp/Sonic Maximizer - your thoughts?

• Members

As many others have experienced, the pedal makes your signal sound processed and dulls the natural dynamics of your guitar. You may not notice it for awhile though. It's weird but a lot of players love the pedal at first and then grow to hate it when they discover what it does to their tone. The rack version is way better, though. Lots of pro artists have used it in the studio.

• Members

It works pretty well on bass.

But for guitar, it seems to (in my mind, but not actually) expand your tone/frequencies.

Most people set it up to emphasise the highs and lows which can sound great and more studio'd especially if you're playing at a lower volume by yourself.

It does de-emphasise your mids (so important for sounding good in a mix). Also the extra sonic 'space' it seems to take up does not do you much good in a band setting, when you want each instrument in it's own space.

Also, as the lower frequencies of a guitar sound don't tend to come through as much as other instruments in a mix, you tend to only notice the emphasis on the highs making it sound shrill.

Of course there are many ways to set it up and use it. YMMV

• Members

I have one and I like it a lot.

I have the low contour set at 2 o' clock and the Process set at 11 o' clock.

I like what it does to my rig with that setting. And more Process and it starts to sound a little too processed for my liking.

• Members

I have one and I like it a lot.

I have the low contour set at 2 o' clock and the Process set at 11 o' clock.

I like what it does to my rig with that setting.
And more Process and it starts to sound a little too processed for my liking.

LOL.

• Members

As many others have experienced, the pedal makes your signal sound processed and dulls the natural dynamics of your guitar. You may not notice it for awhile though. It's weird but a lot of players love the pedal at first and then grow to hate it when they discover what it does to their tone.

That was pretty much my experience too. I used it religiously for a good year or so but then once I started using the Crunch Box I realised that I didn't need it; it did help with my Valveking's muddy distortion though.

Archived