OT: New Tim Burton Alice In Wonderland--Depp as the Mad Hatter...crazy pics!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if thats all you got from it then ok

but still

:facepalm:

definitely not a "chick flick"

I don't know, it's got the kitschy cheesy 1950's but with a dark side feel to it that's ripped right out of the pages of John Waters or David Lynch, but to such an extent that the characters are just an attack on the senses.

Then you've got this young girl falling in love with this corpse-like looking childish robot/man who has horrible weapons for hands. And a bunch of music that's supposed to tug at your heart, with the whole snow globe theme.

I know that there were deeper themes underneath, but I didn't really care. I found the characters annoying and unlikeable. The nosy horny neighbor, the intrusive door to door saleswoman, the bad girl wino, the bad boyfriend, and the younger brother.

Also, three to five (I'm not sure) of my siblings were all obsessed with Edward Scissorhands at one point. Having them all quote it was pretty irritating. My little sister used to dress in a white shirt with black suspenders like him. Ugh.

Although I still like Beetlejuice and Batman, and my siblings were obsessed with those movies as well.

And no, there is no scene with a bunch of chicks dancing around while doing dishes to show them bonding, but I've known way too many girls who were totally obsessed with Edward.

The movie conveys sentimentality about things that I'm just not sentimental about, with the exception of dinosaurs and geniuses with laboratories living in big castles.

I get the themes of the movie- of how society initially rejects, accepts, and then rejects people, things, ideas, etc. But I don't watch movies strictly for themes.

• Members
Tim Burton more than makes up for Willie Wonka with these films:

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Beetlejuice

Edward Scissorshands

Batman & Batman Returns

Mars Attacks!

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Ed Wood

Sleepy Hollow

Big Fish

Corpse Bride

Sweeney Todd

He's pretty much the only
Hollywood
director of the last 25 years that I care about at all, save David Lynch (who isn't really Hollywood per se since most of his films are funded by the French - Canal+).

I could not have said it better myself. :thu:

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is effing fantastic! :love:

I am looking forward to his Alice in Wonderland.

cheers,
Ian

• Members

I don't know man. I almost always feel like something is "missing" from his movies after I watch them. I never really buy into the story, and often the characters are just cold cut outs. I feel like a lot of the time he just gets caught up in "Tim Burton Land" and just goes off being gothy and making things look German Expressionist and forgets the story, and it gets tiresome after awhile. His movies are usually interesting looking though, and in the rare instances he has a good story / script to work with, like Big Fish, they turn out great. I think this is true of a lot of artist-turn-directors.

Oh, and his best movie is, and always will be, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

As for Alice, it should be fun if the script is really good, but I don't think it will live up to it's potential. I think Alice would be better of with a more sophisticated director. Alice is a rather complex, cerebral story, and rather tricky to make work for modern audiences since it was so much about the world of 1800s England. The problem is, directors who could meet the challenge of this, say Darren Aronofsky, David Lynch or Paul Thomas Anderson (or zombie Kubrick), would probably not be able capture the child-like wonder and quirkiness of it. I think it'd be amazing if you could put the two feelings together, but on his best day, Burton won't, and we'll have to wait at least 15 years until the studios feels safe letting someone try it again.

• Members

I don't know man. I almost always feel like something is "missing" from his movies after I watch them. I never really buy into the story, and often the characters are just cold cut outs. I feel like a lot of the time he just gets caught up in "Tim Burton Land" and just goes off being gothy and making things look German Expressionist and forgets the story, and it gets tiresome after awhile. His movies are usually interesting looking though, and in the rare instances he has a good story / script to work with, like Big Fish, they turn out great. I think this is true of a lot of artist-turn-directors.

Oh, and his best movie is, and always will be, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

As for Alice, it should be fun if the script is really good, but I don't think it will live up to it's potential. I think Alice would be better of with a more sophisticated director. Alice is a rather complex, cerebral story, and rather tricky to make work for modern audiences since it was so much about the world of 1800s England. The problem is, directors who could meet the challenge of this, say Darren Aronofsky, David Lynch or Paul Thomas Anderson (or zombie Kubrick), would probably not be able capture the child-like wonder and quirkiness of it. I think it'd be amazing if you could put the two feelings together, but on his best day, Burton won't, and we'll have to wait at least 15 years until the studios feels safe letting someone try it again.

That's pretty much how I feel about Tim Burton as well.

And yeah, Pee Wee's Big Adventure is one of the best comedies ever. It's right up there with the Jerk.

But anyways as for directors for Alice in Wonderland:

Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro

Terry Gilliam

Guillermo Del Toro

They all have amazing art styles that would be appropriate for Alice in Wonderland. They all have made movies that blend cerebral concepts and themes with good stories seemlessly.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro are excellent at directing children. The only problem with them is that they could make it a bit too French. Which would be inappropriate for Alice in Wonderland.

Terry Gilliam would make the film be perfectly English. He would probably be perfect to direct Alice in Wonderland.

Guillermo Del Toro is also excellent at directing children (The Devil's Backbone is especially phenomenal.) I could see him somehow making the movie too depressing.

• Members

There is a Czech version of the Alice in Wonderland story done in 1988 called "Alice", which is a towering achievement in stop animation, very creepy! The director's name is Jan Svanmajer , he is a true Artist. There is really no need to see a masturbatory Burton version of this story after seeing "Alice".

• Members

There is a Czech version of the Alice in Wonderland story done in 1988 called "Alice", which is a towering achievement in stop animation, very creepy! The director's name is Jan Svanmajer , he is a true Artist. There is really no need to see a masturbatory Burton version of this story after seeing "Alice".

I visited Svankmajer's studio in Prague, he wasnt there but his wife was. Little otik was sitting in the corner, it was a blast

• Members

But anyways as for directors for Alice in Wonderland:

Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro

Terry Gilliam

Guillermo Del Toro

Good choices. But Lewis Carroll was an Englishman, so it would be cool to have it directed by more Englishmen. I really liked Mirror Mask. I think Dave McKean and Neil Gaiman would do a good job.

• Members

...Terry Gilliam would make the film be perfectly English. He would probably be perfect to direct Alice in Wonderland.

Guillermo Del Toro is also excellent at directing children (The Devil's Backbone is especially phenomenal.) I could see him somehow making the movie too depressing.

That's how I felt about Del Toro, and also, personally, I don't think he's good enough with story telling. I've only seen Pan's Labryinth and Hellboy 2, and while I liked them a lot, both lacked "arch" if you know what I mean. It was all one event to the next... although that might work for Alice. It'd look {censored}ing gorgeous with him, that's for sure. I'd want him on art direction.

Terry Gilliam though? I knew there was someone perfect I was forgetting. Holy {censored}, would he kill with that movie - and he's English!

And yeah, Peewee is amazing. I watched that everyday as a kid, and I so wanted to live in his Playhouse with Giambi and the robot and the talking chair. It still bums me out how people turned on him, kids need to see this movie. Y'know, I noticed something. As a little kid all my favorite movies were about adults acting as children. Peewee, Vice Versa, Big, Back To The Future, Hook, and then there was Ferris Bueller, which was all about a kid saying adults were {censored}ing stupid. Hmm, I think this explains a lot...

• Members

I'm talking Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The Tim Burton version is about 10x more like the books than the old one.

Yeah, and the old one still has a better story than both, because it has a climax. In the book he just kinda survives, but in the Wilder version he's tested at the end, with a twist, and it provides a parallel to (6) deadly sins.

Gluttony - Augustus

Pride - the gum chewer

Greed - the rich girl (I mix the two names up)

Sloth - Mike TV

Envy - Slugworth

Anger - Charlie, who chooses not to get even with Wonka and gives him the Gobstopper.

Lust is out because it's a kids movie.

Archived