what's better than an OCD?

cshsfg

• Members

i've been using my OCD for a while, and i still like it fine for med-ish gain stuff, but i've recently been hearing/seeing/occasionally demoing some pedals that have a sweeter low gain sound and a less flabby, more cutting high gain sound.

i think i'd like to stay around the amount i paid for the OCD originally (like $135) so no more than say $150-170 or so, but if there's a pedal you swear by that's a bit more then by all means post it.

• Members

Seriously though...

It's all subjective. I also really like the Marshall GV2, the Crunch Box, Barber Direct Drive, Zendrive, Box of Rock, Dano TOD, Tim, Timmy (mine will be here in September!! :love:), Catalinbread DLS, Jekyll & Hyde, several TS808 based pedals... but I just like the OCD more.

But for a more cutting high gain pedal... maybe the Catalinbread DLS? :idk:... it's not the most high gain pedal around I guess, but I've heard it cuts through pretty well.

Or better yet, if you like your OCD, and I'm betting it's a v4 (or 1.4), but want it to cut more when you crank the gain, try finding an OCD v3 (or 1.3... same thing)... the v3 supposedly has a better treble response and a more cutting sound when the gain's cranked.

Someone mentioned the Fulltone GT500... that's also a good choice.

But not many people around here will just flat out swear that another OD pedal is heads and shoulders better than the OCD.... too many dad-gum fanatics... :poke: :lol:

• Members

i might just look out for a decently priced highish gain od, because the main thing that vexes me is that when you get past a certain point in HP (and even on LP a bit) it's like the tone control doesn't do anything

i also think i'm just looking for an excuse to get something new.
:facepalm:

• Members
i might just look out for a decently priced highish gain od, because the main thing that vexes me is that when you get past a certain point in HP (and even on LP a bit) it's like the tone control doesn't do anything

i also think i'm just looking for an excuse to get something new.

:facepalm:

Have you tried running it at 18v?

I had your exact same problem before I plugged it in to an 18v adapter... and when I did... WOW. The difference was subtle overall, but I noticed better dynamics and I seemed to have better control over the tone knob, and now it really cuts through with the tone knob cranked... but didn't before.

Some people have varying experiences with the transition from 9v to 18v... some don't notice a difference at all, some notice just enough of a difference to make them very happy (like me).

• Members

OP, you could also just buy an EQ pedal if you're wanting to make it cut more...

(this is in NO way SPAM or an attempt at SPAM)....

I bought an MXR 6 Band EQ and LOVED it... it did exactly what you're describing you want your OCD to do - cut through. I never really thought an EQ pedal would do that much for me, but man... for $55, it worked amazingly and didn't alter the good tonez that came out of my OCD, just improved the clarity and made it cut (OCD + MXR EQ = :love:). I just put the EQ pedal right after the OCD, and it worked perfectly. The only reason I'm getting rid of mine is to downsize my board.... too many dang pedals, not enough feet. :cry:

There's a lot of good EQ pedals out there that will do exactly what you're looking for. Don't spend another $150 on another OD unless you're absolutely sure you're getting rid of the OCD.

• Members

also heard that the dirty little secret is damn good. i've got a catalinbread dealer by me, i'll get on that sometime

haven't tried the DLS yet, but the Silverkiss and Super Chili Picoso get a LOT of use.

• Members

Tough question man. There's tons of pedals that are better at something specific that you might be looking for. What the OCD does though, is give you a lot of flexibility. Clean boost? yep. Low gain? Yep. Mid gain? Yep. High gain? A little. Plenty of volume, character, harmonics, complexity, blah, blah, works great with a guitars volume knob, blah, blah, blah, transparent, stacks well, blahhhh...

It's a feckin great pedal. Keep the OCD and try out a few others. I think you'll end up keeping the OCD, even if you keep some of the others too.:)

• Members
Personally, I love my Barber Super Sport and Rat. I'm a med gain player at most though. I find that higher gain just doesn't sound as good in a live setting. Things turn to mush at high gain.

I don't understand the cats that compare the OCD to higher gain pedals.:confused:

The OCD works best when driven subtlely. (if that word doesnt exist, it does now bitches. :evil:

Archived