analog synth w/MIDI for FAT industrial basses

AveyTare

• Members

now for the punchline...

you could get all the things i listed plus a mixer for less than an mks-80 even without the programmer.

I could replace my entire studio for the price of that Prophet but you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. This thread has made me realize that instead of upgrading my D-70 I should invest the money in the waldorf I have long coveted.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm all about the Juno, but I don't agree that it is all that great for industrial. And I've never read an interview with Trent Reznor in which he has mentioned a Juno, nor have I seen one in any studio pictures.

The 106 was used some on PHM, but I think it was in the studio, not one owned by him. Its pizzicato patches were used a lot.

Alpha Juno is good for a more morbid, clinical analog sound...has some disadvantages compared to the 106 in that the filters don't self oscillate, and the envelopes aren't nearly as snappy, even in gate mode. But it's a great synth, especially in tandem with other equipment.

• Members
Check out the Akai AX/VX line...that's some nasty bass right there. Add some external FX and you've got killer analog bass for ~$200 - $300.

AX-80

AX-60

AX-73

VX-90

VX-600 (rare & expensive)

Some demos:

Akai AX-80 Demos

How rare are the racks? ive been thinking of getting the ax 60 rack .. or one of them .. I like the demos, but i've never played one .. anything you want to throw in about them cause ive really been straing them down lately :love:

• Members

Akai VX-90's pop up on Ebay maybe every 4-6 weeks or so, and usually sell for ~$200.

Ive been thinking about picking up an AX-60 myself...I love my AX-80. A friend who has both says they complement eachother quite well.

• Members

My VX-600 has a 'harsh' filter, but I've never really loved it.. More like chripy birds putting a steak knife through your ear. -it's not a colorful resonance.
It is technically industrial, as mine was on FLA's "Tactical Neural Implant" shortly before I bought it.

I've never really used it as a super bass machine. It seems to like middle range tones the best.

• Members

The 106 was used some on PHM, but I think it was in the studio, not one owned by him. Its pizzicato patches were used a lot.

What... I never heard or read that before. What song would he have used it? That EMU wooden block sample he used for all those wavetablish clangy melodies is quite incredible sounding. I still would like to hear that actual patch from the EMU sample library. I still can't believe it's a 'woodblock' sample. He also used Turbosynth to process sounds and whatnot, so 'the' sound might be more Turbosynth possibly. I was just listening to a live cd of the Self Destruction tour, you can hear some of the synths better in live show cds.

• Members

jupiterlandingjn8.jpg

I love teh analog!

The Jupiter-6 sounded a little "thin" at first ... until I MIDIed it to the Juno-106 ... Perfection ... One of the complaints of the Jupiter is that the bass disappears when the resonance is increased ... that could be true ... but with the Juno picking up the bottom end, the result is terrific ...

They're like an older and younger sister... VERY similar synths

• Members

What... I never heard or read that before. What song would he have used it? That EMU wooden block sample he used for all those wavetablish clangy melodies is quite incredible sounding. I still would like to hear that actual patch from the EMU sample library. I still can't believe it's a 'woodblock' sample. He also used Turbosynth to process sounds and whatnot, so 'the' sound might be more Turbosynth possibly. I was just listening to a live cd of the Self Destruction tour, you can hear some of the synths better in live show cds.

It wasn't used heavily. You can hear it in That's What I Get and a couple other songs, in TWIG it's the blippy solo synth in the little bridges that connect the verses, the classic Juno pizz sound.

It didn't belong to him, it either belonged to Flood or the studio.

• Members

Check out the Akai AX/VX line...that's some nasty bass right there. Add some external FX and you've got killer analog bass for ~$200 - $300.

AX-80

AX-60

AX-73

VX-90

VX-600 (rare & expensive)

Some demos:

Akai AX-80 Demos

although not really "industial-sounding", those demos are really nice :)

is that true that Trent was using (or still does) Nord Micro Modular as part of his signature sound? i've read it somewhere, but dunno if it's true.

• Members

so you're saying that because trent uses it, it's industrial?

:confused:

Just dont miss the larger point that it's what you do with it and how you program it that really matters. And effects help too ..

just as a counter point I was discussing buying one of those, and dont think i'd have any trouble making it industrial sounding.

• Members

just dont miss the larger point that it's what you do with it and how you program it that really matters. And effects help too ..

Absolutely. Especially w/ industrial (what a nebulous term that is). The process is really more imporant than the parts.

• Members
The process

Not Skinny Puppy's best album, but certainly industrial. Back in those days we considered Trent to be a pop artist... although Fixed and Further Down got a lot of replays.

...and yes, you can make industrial music with a glockenspiel and a dictaphone if you want; it's much more about the attitude and the production techniques than this or that particular instrument. Although some synths are certainly nastier than others. ;)

• Members

so you're saying that because trent uses it, it's industrial?

:confused:

Just dont miss the larger point that it's what you do with it and how you program it that really matters. And effects help too ..

just as a counter point I was discussing buying one of those, and dont think i'd have any trouble making it industrial sounding.

no no no! the term "industrial-sounding" isn't well-suited to express what i mean. i just mean that those Akai synths, while sounding really nice, wasn't aggressive or raw, which is what i was calling "industrial-sounding".

the question about Trent wasn't connected with the point about those Akai synths. i'm just curious if it's true.

• Members
no no no! the term "industrial-sounding" isn't well-suited to express what i mean. i just mean that those Akai synths, while sounding really nice, wasn't aggressive or raw, which is what i was calling "industrial-sounding".

the question about Trent wasn't connected with the point about those Akai synths. i'm just curious if it's true.

Take any nice mellow 80's synth and put it through a couple of filters and distortion pedals and see if it doesn't get aggressive, raw and "industrial sounding" ;)

Archived