analog synth w/MIDI for FAT industrial basses

AveyTare

• Members

2nd on the Evolver, and spend the rest on something like a Kurzweil Mangler. Effects and recording techniques define the 'industrial sound' far more than any specific synthesizer. The Evolver's flexible modulation would give you lots of options.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Little Phatty does some wicked aggro industrial basses. One of the main things I use it for in my industrial/cyberpunk band. I can vouch for the Waldorf products as well, I have a microQ and it is evil. But it's a lot more "dry" than the Phatty, which can be a good or a bad thing. I love the Waldorf sound but it fatigues my ears a lot quicker than analog... even nasty analog. I'll also second the Jupiter-6 recommendation; I have one of those also and it's one of the evilest analogs in existence. Its unison is not sloppy unless that's what you want; the unison-detune parameter is excellent on the JP6. Its 12 oscs in tight unison form a sonic death ray of epic proportions. Great multimode filter too; it can really scream. The JP6 also does edgy pads (and heavenly ones) pretty well.

• Members

Actually, I have one more great suggestion. I owned a Macbeth M3X and it was quite similar to Moog. The Macbeth X Factor will be coming out in the near future and looks like a monster. For some reason I thought the Macbeth Osc were rawer than Moog. Actually they're rawer than the Voyager (which are more precise and smooth). But I borrowed my friends Moog Source and did a side by side comparison of just the Osc of each. Couldn't tell much of a difference there. So it made me think the older Moogs are rawer sounding, which is why Macbeth is so great. It's a new synth with the sound of older and rawer analog gritty sparkle. For really mean analog, you'll want 3 Osc for thick detuning. The Voyager would be no slouch either. Just a picky comparison. You can find the clips I recorded (through a Motu 828) comparing the Source and M3X here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=446680&content=music

(don't listen to NL3 demos though - those were horribly done and weren't recorded decently, although if you're tough enough you might be able to stand them)

• Members

I'll also second the Jupiter-6 recommendation; I have one of those also and it's one of the evilest analogs in existence. Its unison is not sloppy unless that's what you want; the unison-detune parameter is excellent on the JP6. Its 12 oscs in tight unison form a sonic death ray of epic proportions. Great multimode filter too; it can really scream. The JP6 also does edgy pads (and heavenly ones) pretty well.

:love:

"Evil" and "heavenly" ... two great tastes that taste great together!

It is the diameter of life ...

• Members

I have the ESQ-M. It's great, don't get me wrong, but it's a pain in the ass to edit like most racks....especially compared to the keyboard versions. Unless you have a software editor or something you'll be using, I'd just pay a few bucks more for one of the keyboards. Best interface ever. I wouldn't say they're my go-to for synthbass, the envelopes are a bit sluggish for that. They can get some huge bass tones though, for sure.

Doesn't have to be VCO to deliver the nasty bass. DX7s and Casio CZs were used alot. Nord Leads are excellent for aggressive bass, my favorite actually. The bassline on NIN's "Into the Void", or bassline on The Faint's "Glass Danse" are good examples of Nord power.

• Members

Doesn't have to be VCO to deliver the nasty bass. DX7s and Casio CZs were used alot. Nord Leads are excellent for aggressive bass, my favorite actually. The bassline on NIN's "Into the Void", or bassline on The Faint's "Glass Danse" are good examples of Nord power.

well, i used to own dx7 and the basses (expect deep subbasses) were not so good imo. maybe i wasn't able to program it well. the same thing with nord leads - their basses lack of depth imo. they're great synths, but while being vey cold and analitic, their basses seem to lack of some character commonly found in analog synths. however, thanks for advices :)

as for now, i'm trying to get Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 rev. 2, but i suppose than my price of 2300$ won't be the highest one. if so, i'll think about SE ATC-1 with all 4 filters or Sequential Circuits Pro-One. what do you think?

• Members

as for now, i'm trying to get Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 rev. 2, but i suppose than my price of 2300$ won't be the highest one.

Really I had to respond to this. I know, to each his own. and if I get raked over the coals for this, so be it. That Prophet 5 is nice, Rev 2 and all, BUT $2300? Wow, just.....wow, and you're looking for industrial music style gear I assume for NIN, Skinny Puppy, FLA, Covenant stuff as per your other posts.

I would have rather spent the cash on the following (all ended within the last week on Ebay).

Ensoniq ESQ-M - $203

Waldorf Microwave XT - $499

Alesis Ion - $255 (Yeah someone got a HUGE bargain on that one)

Quasimidi Sirius - $591

Evolver (Desktop) - $455

Akai S5000 Sampler - $300

Total Price - $2303

And you got..........a Prophet 5.

Now if I could only convince the wife to let me drop $2500 on Ebay.....

• Members

I think the synth market in which the O.P. lives has something to do with the prices ...

... he told me a Jupiter-6 goes for about $4,000 where he lives ...

... I'd be concerned about the reliability of the P-5, but he said there's a very good local tech who's looked at it/looking at it, etc ...

I think he's got a taste for something vintage with VCOs ... I can understand that ...

I could have gotten a P08 (or an evolver or andy) ... but for me the appeal of vintage is too strong right now ... and the Jupiter-6 looks about 1000x cooler than all of them anyway (with a surprisingly nice Vegas mode it yet NO SCREEN ... I like that ) ...

I have enough new gear ...

• Members
well, i used to own dx7 and the basses (expect deep subbasses) were not so good imo. maybe i wasn't able to program it well. the same thing with nord leads - their basses lack of depth imo. they're great synths, but while being vey cold and analitic, their basses seem to lack of some character commonly found in analog synths. however, thanks for advices
:)

FM is awesome for bass, especially 80s EBM. But it's true, they are really really hard to program. I prefer the Casios, as the interface is easier to work with.

I used to have an ATC-X quad, bass is definitely its speciality, as well as moogish leads. Pro-1 is a good choice too.

• Members

Really I had to respond to this. I know, to each his own. and if I get raked over the coals for this, so be it. That Prophet 5 is nice, Rev 2 and all, BUT $2300? Wow, just.....wow, and you're looking for industrial music style gear I assume for NIN, Skinny Puppy, FLA, Covenant stuff as per your other posts.

I would have rather spent the cash on the following (all ended within the last week on Ebay).

Ensoniq ESQ-M - $203

Waldorf Microwave XT - $499

Alesis Ion - $255 (Yeah someone got a HUGE bargain on that one)

Quasimidi Sirius - $591

Evolver (Desktop) - $455

Akai S5000 Sampler - $300

Total Price - $2303

And you got..........a Prophet 5.

Now if I could only convince the wife to let me drop $2500 on Ebay.....

it went for almost 2400$ in the end, so i decided not to buy it. sorry, Diametro :(

so i'm still searching for something else.

• Members

for industrial music get the standards...
fm synths to look at
yamaha dx-200 or fs1r

wavetable on the cheap
waldorf microwave 2 (it's basically an xt minus all the knobs and the much higher price)

digi analog hybrid
ensoniq sq-80 (same price anymore as the esq-1 so go for the bigger brother)
ensoniq mirage sampler (has analog filters and really grainy 8 bit sampling)

analog with dco
juno 106 or alpha juno 2
oberheim matrix 1000

true analog
akai ax-60

sampler e-mu esi-2000

now for the punchline...
you could get all the things i listed plus a mixer for less than an mks-80 even without the programmer.

skinny puppy used the matrix 1000 and the esq-1 as well as the mirage and dx-7
bigod 20 etc.. used the microwave
everyone used a sampler of some kind
all used a dx-7 derivitive

and a ton used a juno series.
including trent reznor.

there's alot of bass in a dx-7, really low sub bass to thunking thwacking bass.
a sampler is a must for effects and noises
the ax-60 is insane for squelchy high pass filtered little tid bits to add tot he mix
and the esq-1/sq-80/esq-m are the drop dead easiest non-knobbed synths to program and have a huge feature set and massive sound. these are simply the best bargain in synths period. and sound better than the jupiter 8/mks80 (to me at least)

• Members

and a ton used a juno series.

including trent reznor.

I'm all about the Juno, but I don't agree that it is all that great for industrial. And I've never read an interview with Trent Reznor in which he has mentioned a Juno, nor have I seen one in any studio pictures.

• Members

I'm all about the Juno, but I don't agree that it is all that great for industrial. And I've never read an interview with Trent Reznor in which he has mentioned a Juno, nor have I seen one in any studio pictures.

Indeed. For me, it depends on which era of industrial you are talking about:

(*) Old: Get some gritty samplers -- the Ensoniq EPS series for instance -- and FM bass (DX100, TX81Z, etc.). Analog bass was used (I remember hearing the Pro One come up a lot), but nothing poly really is needed unless you aspire to be a synth collector like Trent Reznor. New samplers probably would work too with some nice distorted type plugins. After that you can get cool gritty machines like the Microwave 1.

(*) New: The new wave of EBM is pretty much akin to the kit list for modern techno -- all VAs and plugins with some new model RA. I've hardly seen vintage gear in modern techno kit lists since the late 1990s, except occasionally some Junos and collector-item x0x type stuff.

Archived