I've still yet to hear a distortion pedal that really impresses me

LR Weizel

• Members

I think what I probably want is a cheaper, simpler box. The problem with more expensive boxes is that they're all replicas of sounds of existing amps, or thereabouts. While there's some amp sounds I'd like to recreate(like Orange, or a brightly voiced Marshall) I'd rather have something that sounds like a "Distortion pedal" than an amp.

I think my idea pedal would have some amp-like qualities, so not some random crazy fuzz, but have a voice not found in any amp currently. I also want a "Distortion" pedal as opposed to an Overdrive pedal, and I want it high gain but not necessarily "metal" voiced like the Dirty Bomb. I'd want it to sound good with both hums and single coils(tele).

I can't think of any that really impress me.

I'm betting the pedal that'll end up pleasing me is some cheap old DOD or Boss box or something along those lines, as opposed to anything $100 or over. I think cheaper often means more unique sounds with distortion(stuff like the Punkifier for example).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. I have a Turbo RAT as it was the most interesting at the time. The problem is RATs sound like JCM800s to me including the Turbo RAT. I liked the Turbo RAT when I was using {censored}ty 10 watt solid state practice amps because it seemed "edgy" then. When you run it through anything tube it rounds out and becomes JCM800 like.

If I could get a modded DS-1 for under 100 it might be a good investment.

• Members

I'm with you, man. Still looking for that hi gain pedal..

was going to check out a danelectro fab tone because of guys like mogwai. Also maybe something like the boss hm-2.

Or I could get all fancy and buy one of them $150 dirt boxes, but I think I'll try out the cheap ones first. :)

• Members

I'm considering getting the Crunch Box. I have an AD30VT and it just can't do those Trebley Marshall tones. For some reason the JCM800 model is quite dark, it doesn't get that really nasty almost scrambled feel I've heard coming from cranked JCM800s and seems a lot darker too. Real JCM800s are great amps to play through if a bit overused.

I've got a Lunchbox on the way and a lot of people have said they get very Marshally(the one I'm getting is actually a prototype of a newer model). If it doesn't nail that kind of tone I might get the Crunch Box and throw it in front of it.

I actually kind of like the Boss DS-2 at the moment, since it's basically a DS-1 with a mid boost option. When I say "like a Distortion pedal" I guess I mean DS-1 like, and when I say not too un-amp or metal like, I want decent mids.

It's kind of annoying "high gain" generally means metal, fuzz or DS-1 on acid. I've heard some great high gain tones recorded I can't get anywhere near. The tones from Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" for example.

I want to try and keep it sub $100 though as I just ordered a new guitar.

• Members

Where in the world did you get the idea that the Barber Dirty Bomb is a Metal pedal exclusively?

I don't know if its an exclusively metal pedal, but (to my ears) the 'shape' of it or something just sounds 'metal'. Its the actual character of the distortion. IMO.

• Members

yep, apparently you were right to suggest what he said he didnt want (not being sarcastic). shows what i know.

im with Acid, this thread makes no sense at all.
:confused:

:)

What about it doesn't make sense? I want a high gain distortion pedal that doesn't sound like a cranked JCM800 or METAL, but has better top end then the SCOD. I just haven't taken to any I've heard thus far.

Archived