Tell me about Fulltone

nerol1st

• Members

Why are they so expensive? Are they worth the money? Is there better?

Backround:

I'm not a big pedal guy, if I do bother with a pedal it's almost never for tone shaping (such as distortion, overdrive, eq, compression or the like) and more as an effect like delay.

Almost 98% of the time it's guitar--(sometimes tuner)->amp

• Members

Why are they so expensive? Are they worth the money? Is there better?

Backround:

I'm not a big pedal guy, if I do bother with a pedal it's almost never for tone shaping (such as distortion, overdrive, eq, compression or the like) and more as an effect like delay.

Almost 98% of the time it's guitar--(sometimes tuner)->amp

in the grand scheme of booteeks... they're moderately priced.

• Members

I thought they were about par for the course as far as boutique stuff goes... if anything they seem a little more reasonable (compared to ZVex, Menatone, etc.)...

I really like my Full-Drive 2 MOSFET... and you'll find a lot of fans of the OCD around here. I've always wanted one of those and a Deluxe Clyde Wah.. but if you're not much for pedal-dirt, than idk... I've heard good things about their Vibe pedals and such...

... now if you're referring to the Echoplex thing they make.. then yes, it is crazy expensive... idk much about those though..

• Members

So is that the reason though? They are considered boutique pedals?

Yeah I know the price is pretty moderate, even across the board. So I'm wondering why they are so sworn by. Do they stack up well against other well known effects like boss or maxon?

• Members
... now if you're referring to the Echoplex thing they make.. then yes, it is crazy expensive... idk much about those though..

Actually that is the one effect that I do get :lol:.

I wouldn't pay that much just to have tape delay though.

• Members

i think the fulltone stuff has more of a vintage feel too it compared to some of the boss stuff which has more of a modern feel to the sounds and textures of their pedals? what does everyone else think or am i completely off base?

edit: oh and they are well built, hold up good too. havnt had any problems with mine and havnt heard of alot of people having problems with other fulltone effects they are good in my book...

• Members

So is that the reason though? They are considered boutique pedals?

Yeah I know the price is pretty moderate, even across the board. So I'm wondering why they are so sworn by. Do they stack up well against other well known effects like boss or maxon?

any of their dirty pedals beats the {censored} outta boss stuff... some maxon stuff too... but its all different stuff. boss and maxon seem to build for the generic sound, and fulltone builds for a smaller market.

• Members

any of their dirty pedals beats the {censored} outta boss stuff... some maxon stuff too... but its all different stuff. boss and maxon seem to build for the generic sound, and fulltone builds for a smaller market.

yeah this is definetly true... somebody agrees! boss=boring for me... just never seemed to get the sound i liked out of them

• Members

I know this may be above some of your heads (that's okay, I'm not trying to insult).

What is it about there circuits that make them so great?

Better opamp?

Better circuit overall?

Diode clipping?

Led clipping?

Higher end parts?

They are still PCB design right?

I know they are true bypass and I dig that.

Oh and I agree about dirt pedals, there really isn't any stock dist/OD boss pedals that I care for. I was just using it as a measuring stick.

Really I'm just interested in their OD/Dist pedals as time and modulation effects vary so much anyhow (plus it's hard to tie down the character of those kinds of effects IMO).

• Members

I know this may be above some of your heads (that's okay, I'm not trying to insult).

What is it about there circuits that make them so great?

Better opamp?

Better circuit overall?

Diode clipping?

Led clipping?

Higher end parts?

They are still PCB design right?

Oh and I agree about dirt pedals, there really isn't any stock dist/OD boss pedals that I care for. I was just using it as a measuring stick.

Really I'm just interested in their OD/Dist pedals as time and modulation effects vary so much anyhow (plus it's hard to tie down the character of those kinds of effects IMO).

Give them a go-- if you can find a place that has them, try to the OCD, GT-500 and FD2... :) all are great...

As far as construction and such.. I can't help you-- I just know they sound good :p

• Members

yeah agreed, boss pedals were the first I bought, about four years ago at the age of 13, and once I learned how to achieve good sound (by playing someone else's pedalboard), I was infinitely frustrated because I was unable to get the same sounds out of my boss pedals.

I had both an sd-1 and a ds-1

In terms of fulltone, they are quality built and wired pedals that seem to more enhance your sound rather than take it over and over process it

For the build, I know they use diode clipping and the wiring is handwired I believe

• Members

The DS-1 and SD-1 IMO are garbage stock.

I loved my DS-1 after the mod was done. That pedal is really thin and shrill stock.

And if I get what your saying, you crack the pedal open and it's a bunch of wires instead of a printed circuit board?

• Members

What is it about there circuits that make them so great? What is it about such simple fuzz circuits that make them sound great? It really depends on the circuit.

Higher end parts? - Of course.

They are still PCB design right? - Of course... Otherwise they'd cost $400.00 :lol:

Oh and I agree about dirt pedals, there really isn't any stock dist/OD boss pedals that I care for. I was just using it as a measuring stick. The Feedbacker is a cool Boss dirt pedal, and the BD-2 is nice as well.

Really I'm just interested in their OD/Dist pedals as time and modulation effects vary so much anyhow (plus it's hard to tie down the character of those kinds of effects IMO). OCD is higher gain than the Fulldrive, but not as versatile imo. Doesn't need to be cranked to sound good. The Fulldrive really needs the volume at 2ish to start sounding good. It's not a kind of effect you switch on halfway through the song. You use it as a palette for your sound. The Fuzzes all sounds great...

Archived