Crunch Box vs. SCOD

LR Weizel

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The point of the SCOD was never clean up. The point of the SCOD is a balls out fun distortion that doesn't sound diode clamped. I don't understand why people hold gear to standards the gear wasn't intended. "Yeah the pedal was ok, but it doesn't have a USB 2.0." Uh.

Will you be making an SCOD with USB 2.0?

I might buy one then :p

• Members

Still digging the Shiva?

It is amazing. The only thing I'd think of ditching it for is the Axe-Fx but right now tonal variety is not something I'm after so the Shiva stays. There are two minor issues I have with the Shiva though. One is the reverb causes a volume drop when engaged and I wish the effects loop was footswitchable.

• Members

I'm sure the reverb issue could be easilly remedied with a mod.

What does it give you that the Maz (apart fro the obvious addition of a dirty channel)?

Yeah the reverb thing can be remedied but I think that would mean complete bypass of the reverb would not be possible. Doesn't bother me too much because I don't use reverb all that often and the level cut isn't as big on the OD channel as it is on the clean channel so thank god for that. Plus, I can kick on the boost and get my volume back.

The Maz is a great simple amp but it needed pedals for it to work for me. I've slowly been pushing myself away from pedal dependency and wanted my amp to do the work. With the Shiva I have a footswitchable volume/gain boost that is variable, onboard reverb, and an effects loop (important for me because I'm using amp distortion and delay out front sounds like ass). Not to mention the OD channel is frickin' amazing - just a little bit of grit to crunchy heaven and everything in between. Kick on the boost and you can get all the saturation you'd ever need for leads. I sold all of my dirt pedals soonafter if that means anything.

• Members

Ok.

I'm not on here telling people that boss in general makes pedals that sound better than their boutique counterparts. I am just saying that the OS-2 is a great underrated pedal that imho has more character than the Crunchbox which I also own. I think I should make a clip. Your opinion may differ...but the OS-2 brings out the pick attack better and cleans up much better than the cb.

Did you take any clips?

• Members

Really? The JTM45 is basically just a Bassman clone. It does have a slightly different voicing to the JCM800 but I wouldn't say it's a JTM45. Even a Hot-rodded JTM45, while you don't make that distinction, wouldn't have quite the same voicing. The Crunch Box isn't a "metal" pedal, but it's much more metal than a hot rodded JTM45 would be if that makes any sense.

Good points, I don't turn the gain on my CB past 9 o'clock, it gets a lot dirtier. Also, I run both pedals in 12-18v, it opens them up a lot. The CB is way tighter in 9v.

• Members

I'm actually leaning more towards SCOD vs. Dirty Bomb at the moment. Maybe the Subdecay Blackstar too.

The Crunch Box wasn't quite as interesting as I first though it was on a listen back.

I think maybe I want more mid gain than heavy gain though... just with the option of going into higher gain, but based around a mid gain sound. I'm unsure.

• Members
Did you take any clips?

I will do a clip.

I started doing one yesterday and couldn't figure out what style to do. Also I wasn't really sure how many people on this thread really cared since its a CB vs. SCOD thread. I didn't want to incur a "cool story bro" comment ;) I will probably redo it as it got a little long-winded. I probably won't get around to finishing it today (band practice today) I should have somin up for tomorrow.

I just find the CB to be too loose. It has more gain on tap than the OS-2. True.

• Members

Here's one to add fuel to the fire. Features a couple of other contenders as well. I really like the SCOD for the gain stuff because the freq that Nic has dialled into it helps you cut through on stage. And that's pretty important if you're playing on stage more than the bedroom. To me anyway.

[YOUTUBE]0FM4ybee1eA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I don't find the SCOD to be inherently dark, in fact if I run my amp's single tone knob at anything higher than noon, I find it to be very bright.

That said, I like the SCOD best when I darken things up. I roll the tone on my amp down and keep the contour of the pedal around 9:00 and I just love it. It's a little dark I suppose, but it cuts through perfectly.

If you turn the contour knob up (clockwise), you'll get a little more brightness and have a lot more harmonics and {censored} jumping out.

Are the mids "honky"? I don't think so. I've heard clips where you could certainly get that impression, but those clips don't represent the tone I get in my setup. The mids are certainly there (and those mids are what make the tone work so well), but I'd never call my tone boxy or honky... in fact when I crank things up, it sounds the exact opposite of that.

I agree with this 100%. And no, the SCOD doesn't clean up - even when you zero the gain, which setting I use when I am running it before a fuzz as it tames the mid-kill tendency of most fuzz pedals.

I have to say that this pedal is all about a certain sound - it is great for "driving" riffs QOTSA style (I think one was on Josh's board for the Songs for the Deaf tour). Also, check out Yob's latest - I bought my SCOD from their guitar player and he said that pedal is all over their guitar tone.

• Members

High gain pedals shouldn't be able to clean up well in my opinion. I mean, do high gain amps clean up well?

Depends. A cranked JCM800 will, but some people don't consider that to be high-gain.

We have PGS to blame!!!

I think a pedal should do a particular thing well. Every gain circuit has an optimal operating range, where it is working at its best. If you want low gain, use a different pedal.

• Members
I'm actually leaning more towards SCOD vs. Dirty Bomb at the moment. Maybe the Subdecay Blackstar too.

The Crunch Box wasn't quite as interesting as I first though it was on a listen back.

This is the exact sentiments I have right after I bought my Crunchbox. In fact I even sent an E-mail to Mike with my frustrations on his pedal... ................. until I tried it on a live band setting :love:

Archived