Crunch Box vs. SCOD

LR Weizel

• Members

I'm considering getting one of these again after hearing more clips.

I'm leaning a little more towards the Crunch Box, though I'm disappointed it doesn't clean up better.

The SCOD had my attention first because it had an Orange amp like sound, but a lot of the clips I've heard are kind of overly honky(like a charicatrue of an Orange amp) and dark. The less dark clips I've heard have it sounding pretty similar to a Crunch Box.

The Crunch Box is cheaper(this is always a plus) and easier to get. My main worry with it is that I already like the JCM800 model on my AD30VT, the Crunch Box might end up being kind of redundant, but I guess it's modeling a "Hot rodded" Marshall sound might be sufficiently different - it's got a much more mid heavy thing going on too. The Crunch Box does remind me of my friends' orange amps a bit too(they have Rockerverbs I think) so while it's more of a Marshall thing it might be a better option for that kind of sound.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

never played either but everytime i see demo for SCOD i think black sabbath... ( funny because you mention it being like orange amps which is what they used at one time ) if i didn't use muffs for this sound i'd be all over it. My last couple pedal purchases have been nothing but dirt pedals.

• Members

The SCOD had my attention first because it had an Orange amp like sound, but a lot of the clips I've heard are kind of overly honky(like a charicatrue of an Orange amp) and dark. The less dark clips I've heard have it sounding pretty similar to a Crunch Box.

To address this...

I don't find the SCOD to be inherently dark, in fact if I run my amp's single tone knob at anything higher than noon, I find it to be very bright.

That said, I like the SCOD best when I darken things up. I roll the tone on my amp down and keep the contour of the pedal around 9:00 and I just love it. It's a little dark I suppose, but it cuts through perfectly.

If you turn the contour knob up (clockwise), you'll get a little more brightness and have a lot more harmonics and {censored} jumping out.

Are the mids "honky"? I don't think so. I've heard clips where you could certainly get that impression, but those clips don't represent the tone I get in my setup. The mids are certainly there (and those mids are what make the tone work so well), but I'd never call my tone boxy or honky... in fact when I crank things up, it sounds the exact opposite of that.

• Members

Example of what I was talking about different clips...

I think this video gives an incredibly accurate demo of what the pedal sounds like... when I play mine, this is what it sounds like:

TZGovEf4SBA

THIS video is slightly less accurate in my opinion. For whatever reason (mic position, mic, amp eq setting, whatever), I think the fullness of the tone is slightly lost and the midrange is stressed higher than it usually is:

ylLvQUOvNhw

What's funny is that Catalinbread's description of the pedal mentions this:

I am actually having a difficult time capturing the real sound and feel of this pedal for demo samples. The SM-57 is not cutting it something like 6 mics are required I think

Kind of an odd thing to say, but I'd say it's completely accurate.

• Members

What's funny is that Catalinbread's description of the pedal mentions this...Kind of an odd thing to say, but I'd say it's completely accurate.

But that means only bedroom wanker really enjoy the pedal since recording and many gigs use microphones to get the toan to the audience...

• Members

But that means only bedroom wanker really enjoy the pedal since recording and many gigs use microphones to get the toan to the audience...

Nah, I think it can be mic'ed effectively. It just means some clips don't do the pedal complete justice.

Also, there's definitely a place between bedroom player and gigs. Jams... and in my experience, the Scod is perfect there.

• Members

Well, I have had both, and didn't keep either one too long.

Neither clean up well. The CB didn't have as much gain saturation as I wanted, and sounded transistery compared to my ToneBone Hot British. The SCOD has a very midsy sound to it, and to me would have benefitted with more gain range both on less and more end of the spectrum...plus I already had another modded OD that hit the sounds I was getting out of it anyway.

On another note, I actually had them in about the same time frame, felt they don't mix very well neither.

For me, I settled on the Fulltone OCD, but there are plenty of other pedals that get in the same area as these two. As with all things FX, it really depends on what you are looking for and all the other pieces before and after the FX chain that can effect your experience, so YMMV.

• Members

Honestly, I had a mic fetish anyway. I'd trade the 30 some mics that I have for a Royer 121. No {censored}. It sounds great on everything.

I've been dying for a good ribbon. From what I hear the 121 is one of the more hi-fi ribbons around.

I was going to get a cheap Cascade, but I figured I'd save my money and get an AEA 84.

• Members

The crunchbox is fighting a lot these days. I just have to add this tidbit...

I did an A/B comparison of the CB and a Boss Os-2 and the Boss came out way ahead. The CB just does not clean up well with the volume knob and lacks the definition of the Os-2.

Don't be a gear snob.

Boss OS-2!!!ftw.

Archived