That Strat Stringing Video

dZjupp

• Members

So don't stretch the strings when tuning, but use the vibrato instead? Sounds simple, but what annoys me is that after each bend, the string goes out of tune and that's when you dive down on the vibrato. Wouldn't that be annoying to some people who bend a lot when playing? Nonetheless, that's a very cool trick and I would use it, if I didn't bend so much.

• Members
So don't stretch the strings when tuning, but use the vibrato instead? Sounds simple, but what annoys me is that after each bend, the string goes out of tune and that's when you dive down on the vibrato. Wouldn't that be annoying to some people who bend a lot when playing? Nonetheless, that's a very cool trick and I would use it, if I didn't bend so much.

Why would the strings go out of tune after a bend? That part of the video kinda bothered me. His guitar stays in tune after much whammy abuse, but suddenly gets waaay out of tune after a simple bend? :confused:

• Members

When I played out with Strats, I kept them in tune by floating the trem a little, tuning *down* to pitch, and always using the point after the trem returns to it's balance point as the point at which to measure the tuning. If you tune up to pitch with a floating trem then there is the possibility of slack in the tuning peg which will be taken up as soon as you bend, or by the trem springs when you first use and release the bar, causing the string to go flat.

I didn't watch the whole video, but what you describe with bends sounds like strings hanging in the nut enough so that the trem springs can't gently pull them back in tune, necessitating a forceful dive and release.

• Members

yeah so anyway, geez so sorry to start another thread (eat me)

i was very happy that if a string went sour i just pressed down on me whammo bar and it went right back into tune. i had never heard of that at all and was a tad skeptic when i watched that vid yesterday, but on top of the whole whammy thing, it stayed in tune regardless alot better (& i beat my strat more than any other guitar ever - i don't know why)

• Members

Per his vid, you are supposed to loosen the trem springs some to allow the bridge to be pulled up and down. But how much did you loosen yours? I tried it & I had to keep retuning it over & over until I gave up & but it back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just wanted to report that I did some of the stretchings on my cheap Parstcaster, to the head, the nut and the bridge, like what is shown in the vid. I didn't actually change the strings, just did the stretchings on the strings already on the guitar, after a good tuning.

Well?

It works!

I go all Steve Vai on the trem, and pull back and it's in tune! And I don't have problems with bends either. So yeah, it definitely worked for me!

• Members

Good advice in the vid. I already do all those things (and have locking tuners), yeah it does work quite well.

So it's quite common to increase the tension on the springs until the bridge rests against the body? I've always liked the sound of the Vibrato arm going both up and down in pitch, so I've never done that.

Archived