OT: Official "If Football Vanished, My Life Would Go On Just Fine, Thank You" Thread

Fender&EHX4ever

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It isn't bloated at all. Unlike other endeavors, atheletes do things that other people are not capable of. I think that more people can be trained to be investment bankers or lawyers than can be trained to hit a 90 mph fastball or run a 4.45 40 while weighing 230 lbs. There is a large demand for elite atheletes but there is a very limited supply.

Not to mention the fact that major league sports are all huge businesses. ESPN, the owners, NFL itself make billions of dollars on these sports, why should atheletes not get their share? Especially considering they are the actual product.

You guys also have to remember that athletes only work (at the pro level) for about ten years (approx), and most of them don't make millions of dollars (maybe three million? I would have to look that up to know exactly how much, but I think minimum salary for MLB is $100,000/ year and NFL is $400,000). That averages out to about the same as what the average "regular person" makes at a "regular job" after 30 years. Except athletes pay more taxes. And probably give more to charity (pro athletes are unofficially "required" to give money/ time to charity).

• Members

I dig football but I understand the sentiment. There are some people that talk and care WAY too much about the sport. I'll miss a game and think nothing of it because I'll probably catch the highlights on sportscenter sometime during the week at work.

The USC/Ohio game tomorrow will be fun to watch.

Archived