Those damn G&L MFD pickups have to be the best sounding ever.

Loobs

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mine is
at least
3rd hand (buddy here that traded it to me had gotten it from someone at work, its a ~2000), but the guitar has nearly zero play wear. Neck is pretty much flawless. Frets are beautifully leveled, neck feels super fast b/c of the satin finish - still poly so it doesn't feel like a broken in Nitro neck - somewhere between a light poly & a worn nitro neck.

Cool. I am thinking of getting an ASAT Classic next. I think I'm gonna have to go for the Gun Oil Tint finish on the neck. It's just too nice. The satin seems a little plain to me.

• Members

Cool. I am thinking of getting an ASAT Classic next. I think I'm gonna have to go for the Gun Oil Tint finish on the neck. It's just too nice. The satin seems a little plain to me.

Yeah, its deff. a vanilla/modern finish. I've got much darker necks on other guitars (my '60 Duo-Sonic & my CIJ Jag) and my CIJ Tele is somewhere in between. For me, the light satin is cool b/c it looks like an un-f_cked-with piece of wood. However, I can't imagine your sexy black ASAT w/o the dark butterscotch neck. . .

• Members

Heh, yeah, I am really used to it now. I can't imagine having anything else as my number 1 guitar.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=457&CategoryID=

This is pretty unreal though. Look at that birdseye! One thing though, G&L offer a 90 day warranty on the birdseye maple necks. I find that quite dubious...is birdseye prone to being unstable or something? I've heard that flamed maple necks can be quite unstable. One dealer I know won't even stock guitars with flame maple necks.

• Members

Loobs, I don't know why you're even considering a CS Fender over a G&L. Don't be silly.

My S-500 has the SC sized MFDs in it- it's a little hotter and "girthier" than my friend's 90s USA Deluxe Strat w/Lace Sensors, but can be toned down by dialling back the volume and bass cut. I'd love to do a proper A/B comparison of those two guitars with my rig to see whether I could get the same "strattiness" from my guitar that his has.

I still haven't played any of my other electrics since I got the G&L. That's just over two months :eek:

Did CabrasGuitars come back with any news about that Legacy he was going to try out?

• Members

Loobs, I don't know why you're even considering a CS Fender over a G&L. Don't be silly.

My S-500 has the SC sized MFDs in it- it's a little hotter and "girthier" than my friend's 90s USA Deluxe Strat w/Lace Sensors, but can be toned down by dialling back the volume and bass cut. I'd love to do a proper A/B comparison of those two guitars with my rig to see whether I could get the same "strattiness" from my guitar that his has.

I still haven't played any of my other electrics since I got the G&L. That's just over two months
:eek:

Did CabrasGuitars come back with any news about that Legacy he was going to try out?

I know, every time I look at or play a Fender CS, I just think "why would I pay double for this when I can just get a G&L that'll be equally as good". It's funny that only such a small percentile of guitarists are hip to them. I think most players look at the headstock/bridge/pickups and just discount them. It took me awhile to get used to the design quirks, but I now I love them.

I sold my Fenders when I got my ASAT. They were just sitting around gathering dust, literally.

It'd also be interesting to see how 'stratty' your S-500 sounds. Guitar Adoptions have a lot of the 3-pickup ASAT Classics with the S-500 middle coil, I bet that's a really cool and versatile guitar.

• Members

I know, every time I look at or play a Fender CS, I just think "why would I pay double for this when I can just get a G&L that'll be equally as good". It's funny that only such a small percentile of guitarists are hip to them. I think most players look at the headstock/bridge/pickups and just discount them. It took me awhile to get used to the design quirks, but I now I love them.

I sold my Fenders when I got my ASAT. They were just sitting around gathering dust, literally.

It'd also be interesting to see how 'stratty' your S-500 sounds. Guitar Adoptions have a lot of the 3-pickup ASAT Classics with the S-500 middle coil, I bet that's a really cool and versatile guitar.

don't hip them to em. they hold their value like dog {censored}. so they are incredibly cheap used.

• Members

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the G&L Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow and something like that beautiful butterscotch is? Meaning sound and quality wise, price on PGS looks almost identical, though on ebay the semi-hollow can be found for $750...

Quality-wise, anything that goes out the door of the G&L factory should be stellar. The pricing on new G&Ls is quite hard to work out, since they're all essentially made to order, and some of the options cost extra- nobody I asked when I was first looking at G&L seemed to want to let on what the base price was, but it's somewhere around the $1000 mark on the regular solidbody ASATs and Legacy/S500s. The hollow models are normally more expensive.

Used G&Ls are another story- as others have mentioned, their resale value seems to vary from poor to downright depressing (if you're the seller...), so what you see on eBay may reflect 50% of the price of an identical new instrument. The other thing to be aware of is that G&L have a mid-price far-east line called Tribute, made under licence by Cort. The Tribute guitars offer similar bang-for-the-buck, but for considerably fewer bucks. They're not in the same league as the USA models, but for a $500 guitar, they kick some serious ass. The model names are the same, and the looks are similar, but the headstocks should clearly show that they're Tribute models.

• Members

Yup, there is a base price of just over $1k for ASATs/Legacys/S500s. I think the base price of Comanches & Z-3s is slightly higher and then obviously the semi hollow models and ASAT/Legacy Deluxes start a couple hundred above that. There are also up-charges for binding, gun oil tint, locking tuners, flamed maple tops etc.

Even so, for $1000 that is a really superb guitar. I would put it up against anything that the Custom Shop at Fender make.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1831&CategoryID=

This guitar, for example. Incredible value.

• Members

The cool thing about the S-500 is all G&L strats come with the PTB system. Volume, Treble Roll Off, and Bass Roll Off.

All you do is roll the bass all the way out and it's a typical strat sound, spank cut and all. Roll on and it's big fat heaven.

• Members

I've never tried one of those, that sounds very cool.

How come you're selling yours?

My gigging acoustic got broken (Headstock is currently not attached to the guitar :mad:) the other week and I'm borrowing one. I just need to replace my acoustic, and money is tight.

Keeping:

PRS McCarty Goldtop

Kustom Coupe 36

Timmy, Nova Delay, OCD, TRex Mudhoney, Small Fry, TU-2

and liquidating everything else. :cry:

• Members

The cool thing about the S-500 is all G&L strats come with the PTB system. Volume, Treble Roll Off, and Bass Roll Off.

All you do is roll the bass all the way out and it's a typical strat sound, spank cut and all. Roll on and it's big fat heaven.

I've been saying this for a while now, but I'll say it again:

Why this isn't standard on all Strats is a mystery to me. So useful, so simple, any DIY-er should be able to do it- you can use it the way Cicero says, or you can do all the dull, practical stuff with it- trim a little bit of flabby bass of your neck pickup sounds, shave some ice-picky-ness off the bridge etc.

Extreme bass cut sounds awesome with my Tonebender. Instant sixties.

Archived