Crystal Castles?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MetroSonus

View Post

all I can discern is that it means weird for the sake of weird, but not too weird. just weird enough to feel good about being "different" from the mainstream, but still similar enough to be just as shallow and materialistic.

This reminds me of a Vampire Rodents lyric:

So, sing, sing a song,

Not too weird, and not too long...

Residing in

The cutout bin

With all the rest of my rivethead friends, now

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry I noticed the Creative Commons issue was linked to earlier. I actually like Crystal Castles and the fact they are causing strong reactions show they have something going. 99% of music is eh and gets a neither here nor there reaction... good for them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cl516

View Post

so wait, you guys that dislike them, is it cuz their music or their bull{censored}? or both?

I don't dislike them honestly. They are meh to me. As I've said, the Casiocore / chipscene inspired *have* been around for a while in the underground... when I heard them in the early 2000s for instance they were loosely associated with the electroclash scene, but I think people had been messing around with stuff even before that. I never really liked this chiptune stuff much, even if I got along with a fair bit of electroclash. Most previous examples didn't have vocals, so I'll give them credit for that. However, the provided examples either ape that Miss Kittin ironic detachment thing so popular in electroclash, or ape the Atari Teenage Riot angle of screaming over lo-fi electronics. Whatever works, I guess, but it's always amusing to hear what people are crowing is the Best New Thing Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Member

3. Their music is clearly PC and sequencer based, yet they continue to lie by saying they perform and create all their sounds using custom modified synthesizers.

Well, they are not the only ones who have played the "let's confuse the trainspotters" game. Everybody from Aphex Twin to Cher has done that in the past.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Member

View Post

There's a handful of local musicians and performance artists I know that choose to record and release their albums independently.

Yes, but they wouldn't suffer from any pressure, deadlines or hot breath of the execs in their neck so they'd have to "creatively borrow" anything.

• Members

i think the larger issue here is that this is all just a means to an end and the people that do this sort of thing and the people that are ok with it, out number the people that don't, and aren't.

it's nothing people haven't done before, but it's easier that ever with the internet to copy and paste your image and hype.

here and at CDM, there's a few naysayers saying "WTF? get over it.." but honestly, it feels good to see people get called out in their lie once in a while. its reassuring that some people still believe in right and wrong and that the things i love and care about aren't just someone else's dress up game.

• Members

This guy sums it up best:

"Sure, they made one of my favorite albums of the year so far, but - not to put too fine a point on it - Crystal Castles can go to Hell and stay there. Short version of the story: Crystal Castles finds a flyer with an image of Madonna with a black eye. The image is a painting by Trevor Brown, a well-known and somewhat controversial artist (among many other things, he paints images of injured women, children, etc; many of his images give off a bizarrely sexualized glow and resist easy interpretation). The band then uses this image on the cover or an early 7", and on their t-shirts besides. Trevor Brown finds out he's been involuntarily conscripted to do cover art for a band whose record he hasn't even heard, and is understandably pissed. He contacts the band and tells them they need to pay up. Meanwhile, the band has sold out the pressing and is still moving shirts. They offer to throw him a one-time-only we-get-to-keep-using-the-image-forever bone, but never actually send him a dime. To me the worst part, though, is the armchair market analysts on Mr. Brown's comments threads, who tell him he should be grateful for the exposure.

Grateful for the exposure! If somebody robs me, and I get my name in the paper when a story about the robbery of my house runs, am I to feel "grateful for the exposure"? I hate to be all "people are so damned stupid," but people can be awfully stupid, you will have to admit. Nicking an image for a flyer or in collage is one thing; appropriating generally-available icons is yet another; clip-art is a third. Standing far, far away from all this is stealing outright the work of a fellow artist and then seeking a blanket all-future-uses permission from him before you pay him for ripping him off. When it comes to ownership of artistic work, people like to pretend that everything's complicated; some things are complicated, for sure. This one isn't. It's a version of plagiarism, with the added ugliness of being ungraceful when caught at it. "

The artist's blog: http://www.pileup.com/babyart/blog/?p=81

I'm indifferent to their music. I like Courtship Dating, but I have to wonder if that's just another ripped off chip tune as well. They were pretending the Lo-Bat tune was their own creation as well until called on it.

This is more a backlash to the hype machine and style over substance, appearances over fortitude, dishonesty over honesty. They're representative of the latest generation, most of whom seem to have zero respect for others, the freetard generation. Find a cool bit of artwork? Cool, take it, profit it from it...finders keepers. Very frightening.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by penelope twee

View Post

This is quite an amusing thread. .Everything they've released subsequently has actually been pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by liliththekitten

View Post

it is pretty funny. tbh i liked their music but they said and did some douchey things. musically they have only gotten better

icon_lol.gif They are now "indietronica" for lack of a better term, and actually creating their own stuff. So that's good!

As an "indietronica" band I still think of them as meh, personally. But that's my preference, I like some indie electronic bands that I'm sure everyone else thinks suck.

• Members

I'm tempted to think they bacronymed the name so the could steal the coco Chanel logo. I'm sure they knew of the game but went with shera just for the weird ironic points.

I can't say I like them much and their outright stealing / lying doesn't help.

Of course on the other hand, you could consider them the perfect metaphor for today's meme and social media obsessed youth.

Archived