Crystal Castles?

• Members

Ah the sound of early 2000's. hence = chiptune. Gameboy will get you there.

Off topic
Sounding like Adult today .. is the same as all the bands in the 90's sounding like either Green Day of NOFX. This is the Pop-Punk sound of 2000. So I'm sure that it will be the commercial sound of the later 2010's. by that time it will be sucked of all soul (and you thought it couldn't be more monotone-souless) .. and only those die-hard's that were really set on "making-it" eventually will. and y'know you just have respect their dedication I guess.. cause it takes awhile. reminds me of the local pop schmucks I know called the "Plain White T's" ... ugh

Anywho.. For that flavor of the 2003 style. I dug on NUMBERS.

and the band COIN was sweet.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I apologize for registering just to respond here but a couple things grabbed my attention...

The first one sounds like two year old idiots making a bunch crappy noise and the second one sounds like a two year old trying to create music for other two year olds.

It's ridiculous that no matter how talentless somebody is, and how idiotic the childish crap is they create, people come along and try to talk it up like it's out of the ordinary or something great. That really puts a bad light on those who think that and shows they know nothing about music.
Gross. How much more myopic can you get? "Know nothing about music"? Yikes, mate, it's great that you're challenging the wave but this just makes you sound like a clown. Maybe it isn't your style, but those of us who the style sits with enjoy this band a great deal. I wouldn't blindly defend them, and to be honest I wasn't a huge fan until I actually heard through the entire album, it's very pretty.
If they weren't good people wouldn't listen to it, and they wouldn't get praise from publications and blogs who rely entirely on their own credibility to sustain themselves. If your site starts repping {censored}ty bands people will notice, this isn't payola.

You jump to the place where the money is.
More dated tripe. Take a few steps off sunset strip and realize that most everyone just plays music they like because they want to. It's not hard to "make it" anymore, just love what you do and if people are into it then great but if not sorry about your luck. No one gives a toss about a band who'd choose their style based around what is going to "make them money". Seriously?

Anyway, sorry to interrupt.

• Members

it's obvious, as I was saying in the second post rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gif

this bull{censored} is a mental illness though. theres tons and tons of myspace / livejournal drama about people stealing other peoples pics and making fake journals.. releasing someone elses work with your name on it.. that's the mantra kids today .. its not what it is it's what you can make it look like.

thats a ideal thats bound to come crashing down around you. and it's a hard painful lesson that could be a voided by having some simple self respect.

• Members

Skeezy Tommy Lee hipster dude, check. Manky chick in short skirt, check. Artistically and morally bereft, ripping off your betters {people like Trevor Brown} and selling a contrived lifestyle to subnormals, check. Lies upon lies. Profit.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by syncretism

View Post

Skeezy Tommy Lee hipster dude, check. Manky chick in short skirt, check. Artistically and morally bereft, ripping off your betters {people like Trevor Brown} and selling a contrived lifestyle to subnormals, check. Lies upon lies. Profit.

and this is just their parents.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by suii View Post
If they weren't good people wouldn't listen to it, and they wouldn't get praise from publications and blogs who rely entirely on their own credibility to sustain themselves. If your site starts repping {censored}ty bands people will notice, this isn't payola.
I just laugh at how what could be called "Casiocore" or "SIDcore" or other videogame inspired music has all of a sudden become *in* and exciting. This stuff has been around for a while. (Now, who's going to take it to the next level and start sampling MOD/S3M/MTM demoscene tracks? smile.gif )

A while back, Zombie Nation "borrowed" the melody for Kernkraft 400 (now heard at stadiums everywhere) from a David Whittaker video game chiptune. From what I understand, proper licensing arrangements were made at least post-success. We'll see what happens with Crystal Castles, who not only are accused of ripping of chiptunes, but cover art as well. (Meanwhile, the question must be asked: Is the creative basis for all SidStation owners restricted to old 1980s video game tracks? Discuss.)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave106

View Post

I just laugh at how what could be called "Casiocore" or "SIDcore" or other videogame inspired music has all of a sudden become *in* and exciting. This stuff has been around for a while. (Now, who's going to take it to the next level and start sampling MOD/S3M/MTM demoscene tracks? smile.gif )

Right, I thought the popularity of this chip tune stuff had peaked in 2002. I guess its time for the second coming, like Electro Clash before and every other dance music trend. Next up, hipsters embrace nineties NYC deep house in a semi ironic fashion...

• Members

I really don't get the hype with this group either. The thing I dislike about just every American act today is that somehow being ironic is in and beneath the instrumentation of the music, there really isn't any kind of meaning or attempt of intelligence.

Call me old fashioned, but I miss the European art school pretention of the late 70's and 80's compared this void of a music scene in America.

• Members

yet they keep saying it.

all I can discern is that it means weird for the sake of weird, but not too weird. just weird enough to feel good about being "different" from the mainstream, but still similar enough to be just as shallow and materialistic.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy View Post
Where's the irony in these chipster's acts? I don't think that word means what they think it means.
It's irony for the postmodern culture, which has probably spread the worse here in America. Basically they act like they don't want to be taken seriously as if it was a bad thing, then hide behind a wall of nostalgia, kitsch value, and sarcasm.

My guess is that they don't want to be taken seriously because the internet generation has instant access to any kind of information. They are afraid to make a well thought out and informed statement or form of art with meaning because someone else could very easily call them out on it. It's easier to just pick your nose for attention and pretend that everyone else is pretentious for being disgusted with it.

• Members

What an absolutely worthless, {censored}-stain excuse of a band. For every talented electronic group that becomes accepted by "indie" culture (Boards of Canada, for example) there are at least 10 or more hacks like these licking the scene's proverbial nutsack.

Let's get real and drop this relativist BS. Crystal Castles is complete and utter rubbish and indicative of the pathetically low standards people have in music.

And the icing on the cake is that they're thieves to boot. icon_lol.gif

• Members

wait wtf is going on? i just stumbled onto this thread, and i had no idea about what hype or bull{censored} surrounding this band. i did just check out that article, but i'd been listening to their album for about 2 weeks before this. without knowing anything about them and just listening to the music, it sounds very much like they knew what they're doing and did not just pick stuff up from the trash.

so wait, you guys that dislike them, is it cuz their music or their bull{censored}? or both?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
wait wtf is going on? i just stumbled onto this thread, and i had no idea about what hype or bull{censored} surrounding this band. i did just check out that article, but i'd been listening to their album for about 2 weeks before this. without knowing anything about them and just listening to the music, it sounds very much like they knew what they're doing and did not just pick stuff up from the trash.

so wait, you guys that dislike them, is it cuz their music or their bull{censored}? or both?
They suck....and they're thieves. So I guess that's a "both."

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cl516 View Post

1. The music genre they play into already ignited and burnt out almost a decade ago.

2. Said music genre was known as Electroclash, which served as a revival of early 80's European synthpop watered down with post-modern North American disaffection.

3. Their music is clearly PC and sequencer based, yet they continue to lie by saying they perform and create all their sounds using custom modified synthesizers.

4. Their name references 80's video game nostalgia (see my last post)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by suii

View Post

More dated tripe. Take a few steps off sunset strip and realize that most everyone just plays music they like because they want to.

Even if -you- don't want to jump where the money is, your record company will.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yoozer

View Post

Even if -you- don't want to jump where the money is, your record company will.

That's assuming every artist is aiming to make money by getting signed. There's a handful of local musicians and performance artists I know that choose to record and release their albums independently. While most of their albums are of very limited quantity and can only be found at shows, websites or local record stores, to assume everyone is part of the money/product machine is a bit unrealistic unless you're only paying attention to those who are part of that machine.

Archived