Anyone dislike signature guitars?

amarr1

• Members

It's just a tool to create music, the name on the guitar doesn't matter.

That being said, I'll never own one. I know it doesn't matter, but it bothers me that I'm playing something with another guitarist's signature on it. I feel like I'm playing some cheesy souvenir and I feel a lot less original, even though a lot more people play non-signature models. It's the fact that someone famous has a mass-produced signature slapped on some guitar.

• Members

I have the Costello Jazzmaster, and while I like Elvis he's got about zero influence on my music. I just liked it the best out of all the JMs I tried--the trem is tweaked a little and was the most comfortable for me, and I love the woodgrain. Really don't give a damn whose "signature" it is. I mean, I love Sonic Youth and they are WAY more influential on me, but I wouldn't buy one of those JMs 'cause they don't have the stuff I'm looking for in a guitar.

And my next strat will either be a warmoth build or a johnson or gilmour model, just 'cause they seem like really great guitars.

but... those zakk wyldeish graphics and stuff make me wanna puke for sure.

• Members

first off lame... haha no neck pickup for the lose. Just read in current guitar center catalog Tom Delonge saying his guitar is so versitile... I have much love for a eric johnson sig strat among other sig strats. As far as only sig guitars go only other ones that i can think of that i would rock is Joe Satriani's and Steve Vai's sig guitars. Basically if they were on G3 tour i'd probably rock it. I do think John Petrucci's sig guitar is fugly.

I can live without a neck pick-up on one of my guitars. I just want a guitar I can rawk with, but after reading that it's made out of maple instead of mahogany, I'm a little put off.

• Members

I've got three sig guitars. I've got a JEM7d, a Jem20th Anniversary, and an Epiphone Supernova.

Granted, they aren't my main gigging guitars, but they are fun guitars to have around. The JEM's play great, and if I join an 80's cover band, or a hard rock, you better believe I'd play them without feeling weird about it. Same if I joined a Beatles or Oasis cover band with the Supernova. I guess it's just all about the band you're in.

It would look ridiculous for me to use my JEM at a pop concert, but that doesn't mean I never should have bought them. I like having them around at home, and I record with them sometimes. I definitely don't think you should stop yourself from buying a guitar just because someone else's name is on it.

• Members

I have an EJ Strat, but I'm not a huge Eric Johnson fan (I don't own a single record of his, actually). He's a good player, I'm just not into his stuff.

Mostly, I like the fact that it's a vintage styled strat, but with a flatter fretboard radius. I grew up playing Gibsons, and I play a lot of slide, so that works out well for me. It really has nothing to do with his name being on it.

I agree with other posters on the Zakk Wylde/Avenged Sevenfold kind of stuff with the really gaudy, personalized finishes and whatnot, though. My Strat just looks like a strat, and the only "signature" on it are the initials on the backplate. It's not like people will automatically associate it with Eric Johnson, at first sight.

• Members

I don't really have anything against them as such but:

It's when you get ones like the Brian May guitar that is so very much his trademark. If someone turns up to play a gig with one of them it just screams of 'i wish i was Brian May' and then that person will disappoint either by being nothing like him at all or by trying to be like him and failing.

Same for the Steve Vai guitars, i'm sure they'e nice if you like that kind of thing but it does kinda say a lot about you before you even play a single note.

Archived