my bloody valentine/smashing pumpkins/early brian jonestown fuzz?

hosebeast

• Members

my chain = several single coiled guitars>danelectro dan-echo>behringer pitch shifter>line 6 fm4>boss oc2>moho modds russian muff>boss dd-20>fender twin.

i want the above mentioned type of fuzzed out, real thick tone, and with my current setup, it's pretty impossible to pull off. is there a single pedal, that i could use on-top-of the muff that i could use to achieve this sound? i'm thinking a RAT. however, i've never used one, it was just suggested.

i want to get even heavier, both with my band and my solo stuff, so any help would really be appreciated.

• Members

I can't really say what to stack with a Big Muff to get that tone. I've owned a couple of Muffs, but I didn't really like stuff stacked into it.

That said, here's my two cents:

The Fender Blender does a good job getting the fuzz tones from MBV's Isn't Anything album.

In my experience, Loveless is sort of tough to nail. I've gotten pretty good results using a Fingerprint with lots of trem arm wobbling and reverse reverb, but it's still not 100% there.

For Siamese Dream era Pumpkins, devi's Silver Crank, with the Control knob maxed, really gets as close as anything I've tried, even the Mayo (though the Silver Crank doesn't have that glorious Muff-like sustain).

• Members

Boss HM-2 will get you pretty close.

I know Anton uses a Boss SD-1 and a Ross Distortion live nowadays.. I saw the rest of the band use Rat, Turbo Rat, Little Big Muff, tubescreamer. Not sure about the methodrone sound... but the HM-2, Rat, and Big Muff should cover most of it.

Archived