Does anyone ACTUALLY tongue test their batteries?

Secret Seasons

• Members

I tongue test them on occasion when I'm working with ocillator circuits or if I've got disorganised and a pile of half dead batteries have piled up, but genrally my needs don't warrent something like this. I think it's more a case of trying to take a product for guitar techs to mass market, without really getting the customers perspective.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lotta knee-jerkin' going on in here. If you actually click the ad, you can see that what makes it convenient is that it has a 1/4" plug and you can check your battery via the input jack. It has switches for different types of batteries and calculates the number of hours you have left of power. Many pros use all batteries. They're clean power with no hum.

But yeah, that is one fugly ad. They should have emphasized the features that musicians would appreciate.

Take your voice of reason elsewhere, this is not the time nor the place.

:)

• Members

It is cool that it plugs into the pedals input so you don't have to take it out to test. How do I test the battery in the battery tester though?:poke: It would be worth it if I didn't use a power supply.

If a battery tester uses a power supply, that is just lame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well...I just had one sent to me for review, and actually, once you dig into it there are some pretty compelling features.

As most people have noticed by now, you can test the battery without taking the box apart if it switches via the input jack. Perhaps more importantly, it measures the battery under load, which is something no multimeter does. In fact, multimeters are designed specifically NOT to load down the source (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, and all that). So, with high current devices - which quite a few pedals are these days - the battery can read fine under no load, but be down several volts under load. I came up with my own "tester" several years ago to test under load, which was simply a resistor to draw 10ma from a 9V battery. What the Batt-O-Meter does is much more sophisticated than that.

I also think (I'm not sure) that the "measuring under load" deal is what allows the Batt-O-Meter to estimate remaining battery life with a great deal of accuracy. Granted, most of my stuff is AC powered, but some things like wireless devices, ebows, etc. can't be AC-powered and these are things I depend on when onstage.

As to the ad, it is pretty weird but it got people talking about the product...and caused some people to check it out, and find out that it's not just a multimeter. So I guess they know how to get attention! I'll be checking it out in depth and reviewing it in the Harmony Central newsletter once I get back from my travels, but it sure seems like a useful piece o' gear to throw in your gig bag.

• Members

who the {censored} uses batteries on here?! c'mon, hold off on your next $200+ fuzz pedal and get a power source! that batt-o-meter looks like something Sham-Wow dude should push.

Last thing that Sham-Wow pushed was a hooker... into a wall :lol:

NwOwm5UfOm290nz9E9CZDHFto1_400.jpg

(she was absolutely fine in the end.. but lolz were had)

Archived