Dear Phil, please explain...

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

... how modulated delay works to everyone.

If I understand correctly, the sound of a modulated delay depends largely on the interaction between:

1. The delay time (variable)

2. The rate of the modulation (which is fixed on the CC, the Mem Toy, and DMM)

3. The depth of the modulation (which is fixed on the CC and the Mem Toy)

4. The style and timing of the performance (infinitely variable)

5. To find a sweet spot (also infinitely variable in definition) in the effect, all 4 of the above need to be considered and adjusted accordingly.

If I'm wrong about this please correct me.

I'm of the feeling that there's a lot of misinformation spreading around here concerning the quality of gear based on the audibility or usefulness of modulated delays. Dare I say those critiques are mostly user error? :cop:

• Members

I find that the sweetest sweet spot is when you dial in the modulation rate to exactly the delay time. Then you don't hear the pitch shifting like when they're not in sinc, but you get this wonderful, watery-depth feel without the sickening pitch shifts.

• Members
I find that the sweetest sweet spot is when you dial in the modulation rate to exactly the delay time. Then you don't hear the pitch shifting like when they're not in sinc, but you get this wonderful, watery-depth feel without the sickening pitch shifts.

Voila! If there's an authority on this subject around here, Skreddy would definitely be one :cool: Agreed!

I like that sound a lot too. I also tend to use subdivisions quite a bit too - one half or one eighth of the delay time or whatever. I also tend to time delays to musical tempo a lot. I don't always work with click tracks, so sometimes it' a tap it out and enter a value that's close, then adjust by ear. To me, that last part is a really important step, even when working with a click. Sometimes I want the feel of the delay and / or modulation to push the beat a little, or to lay back a bit, and IMO it's pretty much all good - or bad, depending on what the song / part calls for.

As far as the OP's questions, I really would be happy to do a full scale reply, but I have an album deadline staring me in the face and three last songs to finish editing and mixing (and I took a day off yesterday so I could spend it with my wife on her birthday...), so I'm going to have to pass for right now... but if the thread drops off page one and I forget to get back to you in a day or so, drop me a PM and remind me please. :cool::wave:

• Members

I have an album deadline staring me in the face and three last songs to finish editing and mixing (and I took a day off yesterday so I could spend it with my wife on her birthday...), so I'm going to have to pass for right now... but if the thread drops off page one and I forget to get back to you in a day or so, drop me a PM and remind me please.
:cool::wave:

Good luck with the album, Phil. :thu:

And to emphasize the point, there are 3 threads on page 1 right now that could use some authority.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2446579

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2446576

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2446315

• Members

I'm confused.

Flange and chorus are modulated delays.

Keep lengthening the delay time, and the modulation adds more character to the echo, and less on the dry signal (as opposed to the previously mentioned flange and chorus).

True, flange and chorus are modulated delays where the delay time is usually less than 50ms. And when the modulation cycles are as fast as the delay time, you definitely hear a major difference - it starts to sound like a ring mod.

Archived