Fractal Audio AxeFx vs. Digidesign Eleven Rack

ck3

• Members

I recently noticed that Digidesign released a modeling preamp that looks comparable to the Fractal Audio AxeFx (standard), is significantly cheaper, can double as a multi-purpose recording interface, and includes all sorts of Pro-tools-level software.

750-ElevenRack_straight.jpg

750-ElevenRack_rear.jpg

Has anyone been able to play both units side by side or A/B the original Eleven software with the AxeFx? If so, I'm all ears. :wave:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is the first real competition for Fractal. I'll be watching with interest. Digidesign is big enough and positioned in the right place in the market to provide exactly the right sort of challenge to FractalAudio; Line6 can't do it because their reputation is too "low end"/"good enough," but Digidesign/avid is ProTools, is high end, and this unit's capabilities are impressive at the price point.

Cliff has some advantages. A track record of having more than tripled the amps available without charging a penny extra, for example, and the current marketing position, generally considered top-tier quality.

Finally some fun stuff in hardware, though! :cool:

• Members

Looks interesting... Not sure if it is as good as the Axe Fx. Might be just a POD killer.

my feeling too

digidesign hardware has never been considered top tier.

sonic solutions, radar, apogee etc thats top tier

digidesign software - pro tools- otoh is the industry standard

• Members

It could do with a few more amp models for sure, and probably a few more effects.

Some of the design features are quite clever though, such as the ability to take the FX loops send and return from any point in the signal chain, and the same with the master volume. You can have a post speaker emulation master volume if you want, or you can make it work like your guitar volume knob.

• Members

I really doubt Digidesign has any intentions of truly dethroning the AxeFX. The truth is that this is probably intended to be in studios on brand recognition alone, where it's got AxeFX beat by quite a lot. But as far as I can tell it can't really compare to the feature set of the Axe.

Granted it's $700 less than the fully-featured flagship product, but that $700 buys you a hell of a lot.

Then again, before Fractal did the m-m-m-mega models shtick Line6 did it. They just did it with less pizazz :D Digi's angle might be "well, other companies might give you more variety, but we have QUALITY!" which sells folks on things that cost more and offer less, surprisingly often. Not that I am suggesting that this does. Who knows, it really could sound amazing.

I'd bet people who know about the two products in question would buy a Digidesign Eleven over a Pod Pro. $300 difference, give or take, but the quality difference there is pretty amazing. Eleven's amps are on the whole quite good as far as I can tell (not a PT user, and they're proprietary), competitive with other technology leaders in the market (Line6's models are, by comparison, sometimes rather unsophisticated, with a limited range of operation and superficial differences - not ALL of them, but it does call into question the value proposition of having dozens of models if really a lot of them sound more similar than they ought to).

Anyway, fun stuff for us watchers of this kinda thing.

• Members

Wake me when there's Guitar Rig 4 Rack or Amplitube X-Rack or Overloud TH-Rack or whatever; Eleven is just a little bit too restrained compared to the competition. It offers very, ah, bland features, and not enough of them... For me. But go to my blog and look at the list of {censored} in my inventory. The equation has to look different for someone thinking "hrmmm Rocktron's current $1300 digital thingy that still uses the algorithms from 1993 vs. one of the most modern modeling engines around with some great effects for $1000."

They have highly paid people that know exactly who will buy these products before they launch them, we're all rank amateurs by comparison, side-line speculators. And I don't mean in the thread, I mean us writers in the industry press. Pick an angle, is it Eleven Rack vs. AxeFX? Eleven Rack vx. Pod Pro? Eleven Rack vs. Rocktron Chameleon 2? What do you guys want to hear it compared to? ;)

• Members

I'd say that Peavey and Behringer qualify as the "entry level" market.

Line 6 does have it's Spyder line that compares to what Peavey and Behringer put out. But overall, the POD stuff (POD XT Live, POD X3 Live) are their primary products and they fit squarely in the "middle of the road" market.

I think Digidesign's Eleven rack is aimed for that market and not the Axe-FX crowd.

• Members

I'd say that Peavey and Behringer qualify as the "entry level" market.

Aside from some of their studio monitors (and possibly microphones), Behringer is definitely entry level (with questionable QC) ... I currently own a V-Amp Pro, UB802 mixer, two KX1200 keyboard amps, and can speak from experience with many of their stompboxes and accessories.

Peavey has quite a few entry-level products, but also offers plenty of semi-pro gear (that has been endorsed by professional musicians at times). Peavey's Revalver software has gotten favorable reviews and is the amp modeling platform of choice of one of my favorite pro musicians, Devin Townsend.

I was a Line6 enthusiast until a PODxt failed exactly one week after the warranty expired and they refused to be flexible about warranty service. Most of their amp modeling products have seemed pretty gimmicky and unimpressive (IMO) ... the terms "quantity" and "quality" seem interchangeable in their vocabulary.

There may not currently be a more affordable substitute for a Fractal Audio AxeFx, but it seems as though there may be budget-priced alternatives available when I can finally afford one.

• Members

Cool stuff but I don't see it making me want to get rid of my Ultra

Teh ultra:snax: devours all. Srsly. :evil:m/

I hope that production eventually increases so that they can be offered at a lower price point (if that has, indeed, been a factor in pricing).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived