Fractal Audio AxeFx vs. Digidesign Eleven Rack

ck3

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm just glad there are more companies following fractal on this one. I think these kind of units are the future of electric guitar playing for just about everyone who's into getting a good sound. While it's hard to beat the mojo of plugging into a full stack and hitting a powerchord, having a compact rig that involves something like this, a power amp, a footswitch, and a pa speaker would be great. By 2020, maybe 2030, I think these kind of units will be more affordable, higher quality, and the go to solution. I'm very excited! :eek:

• Members

I'm just glad there are more companies following fractal on this one. I think these kind of units are the future of electric guitar playing for just about everyone who's into getting a good sound. While it's hard to beat the mojo of plugging into a full stack and hitting a powerchord, having a compact rig that involves something like this, a power amp, a footswitch, and a pa speaker would be great. By 2020, maybe 2030, I think these kind of units will be more affordable, higher quality, and
the
go to solution. I'm very excited!
:eek:

I think what you are talking about is licensing or software based effects units. Since we have the Axe Fx technology today. We don

• Members

I put where I'm from in every post :)

I don't think that HCFX is much of a measure of the success of a high-end modeling product. AxeFX might be the exception precisely because its marketing was effectively viral from day one, with broader advertising coming along later. This isn't a product that's aimed at the demographic here, I don't know what you'd expect to measure by its mention or lack thereof around these parts.

• Members

I've been living with an Eleven Rack for the last two weeks. I work for Avid's subdistributor in Oz and they've said, "here Brett, you look after it." So I have been. Sadly, there's bugger all stock in the world (something like 900-1000 are back ordered) so i had to let my own specimen go in favour of a gun-toting customer this afternoon.

However, I've been contributing thoughts to an Oz forum so I'll just cut and paste my last contribution here for your consideration and amusement (or not). This one has to do with the Eleven's integration with Voodoo's Ground Control.

This is Major Tom to..

So, I've spent some more time with the Ground Control and the Eleven Rack. I was quite surprised at how well they got on together. Even the 1-4 switches and 8 Instant Access switches on the Ground Control (check out a pic here for reference) correspond exactly to the Eleven Rack's preset banks and effects on/off buttons found on the Eleven's front panel. I had to program the Ground Control to suit but the convenience and similarities in their respective hardware and software architectures was, I thought, a little more than coincidental. This is not a bad thing, this is a very GOOD thing. I began to suspect that the two companies have had this on the cards for some time. So I fired off an email to an exec at Voodoo Lab and sure enough, they have been working together for months to get it right. And folks, right it is.

The Eleven's presets are in banks of four. The GC can be told to access banks of ten or four. Switching it to four gives you the bottom switch access 1- 4 and the Bank up/down switches to their right. Perfect.

The Eleven has 8 effect activator buttons on its front panel - Dist, Mod, Delay, Rev, FX Loop, FX1, FX2 and Tap Tempo/Tuner. Funnily enough, the GC has 8 Instant Access buttons directly above the preset switches! Get my drift?

Two expression pedal outputs on the rear of the Ground Control give you wah/volume or whatever other preset specific parameter you wish to assign. I stuck with things like Master Volume, Wah and Rotary Speeds (old-school bugger that I am).

The Eleven doesn't spit out preset names (yet) so you'll have to program those in yourself. I have a feeling though, that future firmware updates from either Avid or Voodoo Lab will address this and make the GC a simple plug and play affair. However, I'm not sorry that I spent a couple of hours digging into the Ground Control's MIDI guts because it was a good brush-up on all things 0-127 and CC.

Stand Aloneness.

One thing that I did wonder about was the ability of the Eleven Rack to perform as a simple interface, without its DSP intervention, for other amp sims like Guitar Rig and Amplitube. These sorts of things are, quite understandably, not covered in the ER manual (thou must use PT or be smite..) So I fired up Amplitube Metal and sent its Audio preferences off to find a doorway through the Eleven Rack with which I could twang. A couple of failed attempts later (dry guitar with DSP; Just DSP, etc) I found the 'Input' configuration in the Edit menu in the ER. I switched it to 'Reamp' and voila, nice clean True Z input straight past the ER's DSP and straight into Amplitube Metal at 128 samples, via USB. Freaking perfect (well, actually, I would prefer to take it down to 64 or 32 samples but this will do, and the True Z input makes up for lost time..)

I don't think I need to go into the sounds; there's enough around on the web about them. Suffice to say though, that most of them are very good, very dynamic and eminently usable. Ditto the effects which can be routed anywhere in the chain (well, nearly anywhere). Need more whizz-bang stuff? Look elsewhere. Happy with a slew of great amps, cabs, mics and retro effects? Then you may have found nirvana. And you get a great Pro Tools interface. And Pro Tools. And it works great with other DAW's (I use Logic).

I cracked the top off an Eleven Rack and had a peak inside. It's VERY well built. Solid as a rock. There are some ports in there, reset buttons of some sort - all sorts of things that suggest future upgrades might be possible.

More, including YouTube clips when I get one to hang on to. I won't be bias, I'll call and play it how it is.

• Members

Is it me, or are the amps and effects fairly limited? The more I look at this, the more it looks like a Line 6Boss copy cat. Not even close to the Axe FX.

Eleven Rack Amps

No Hiwatt

Eleven Rack: Effects

No Bitcrushers

This ^ is all I'm seeing.

:mad:

:idk:

I'll stick with my Vetta II and WMD Geiger Counter :)

• Members

Right, that's all that it really is. The same concept - digital modeling for flexibility and ease of tone management - but with modern processing power and advanced physical modeling, technologically superior compared to the Pod Pro and more versatile and functional than the Rocktron units. It isn't better than the AxeFX, but people do seem to be missing the point. It doesn't help that Digidesign is pitching this as something fundamentally and remarkably new, because it isn't, but it also ain't chopped liver and I think it's kind of funny that the reception on HCFX is "hmph, just another POD ripoff."

But then, until some more prominent forum members/opinion leaders went for the AxeFX, that was the dogmatic claim against it too. How quickly HC forgets.

• Members

Ok, on second look the Axe FX systems are deep as hell. I wish they would make a combo amp like the Vetta II. I'd scoop that {censored} up in a heartbeat.

I believe that the Atomic Amps products on the Fractal Audio site are intended to fill this niche. :wave::thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had it for two weeks with the purpose of scaling down for live use mainly and replacing my heavy Bogner XTC. With a Carvin DCM150 and my pair of 2x12 V30-loaded cabs the Digidesign Eleven Rack just didn't hit me in the chest. I liked the tones, but it was kind of 2-dimensional to me. I'm sure it's cool for recording but there was just no depth live through my setup, and even when I plugged into a PA. Just heavily compressed. I sold it. Granted I was shooting out against a Bogner, but still...

My question is, does anyone gig with a Axe-FX? I see all the endorsements, but have those pro players actually replaced their big amps with the Fractal?

• Members

i dunno.....the 11 just seems kinda bland and boring.

snax FX is kinda sexy...BUT.....and this is a BIG BUT.......WHERE ARE THE {censored}ING KNOBS???? :cop::cop::cop:

the user interface on ANY piece of rack gear is a BIG DEAL.

and no knobs? i don't care HOW GOOD it sounds. i ain't buying it.

i'm sure it's good in the studio, but i aint going onstage with anything that does not have knobs.

ever try to page thru menus at a gig? :eek:

• Members

I had it for two weeks with the purpose of scaling down for live use mainly and replacing my heavy Bogner XTC. With a Carvin DCM150 and my pair of 2x12 V30-loaded cabs the Digidesign Eleven Rack just didn't hit me in the chest. I liked the tones, but it was kind of 2-dimensional to me. I'm sure it's cool for recording but there was just no depth live through my setup, and even when I plugged into a PA. Just heavily compressed. I sold it. Granted I was shooting out against a Bogner, but still...

Aside from the Bogner comparison, this is the type of review that I was expecting to read after learning more about the Eleven Rack's feature set. I find it interesting that all of the rave-review-type statements in ads for this product are in the future tense. :poke::facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My question is, does anyone gig with a Axe-FX? I see all the endorsements, but have those pro players actually replaced their big amps with the Fractal?

Most of the Axe Fx endorsements seem to be studiosession guys. I don't think you will see them on tour that much. My friend gigs with an Axe Fx... Used to run a bunch of rack gear and pedals. Works fine... no issues.

Archived