Anyone prefer the sound of pedal distortion over amp distortion?

amarr1

• Members

Not as far as transportation/price/bulkiness goes, is there anybody that likes the sound of pedal dirt over amp dirt?

In this day and age of great guitar related technology and design, I wouldn't be surprised if I did see a device that could cop amp dirt very well or sound better than amp dirt, like the snax.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually love the Crunchbox and OD3...

I'm not a huge amp distortion guy. In fact, I don't think I've intentionally used amp distortion in about a year and a half.

That's cool, with pedals like the DLS, Crunchbox, Les Luis, Wampler line of pedals, Honey Bee, Model H, SFT, etc., that are modeled after certain amps and sound uh-may-zing, I could see myself being swayed by pedal dirt over amp distortion, although cranking my AC30 is delicious.

I also like rats too, although they don't sound amp distortion like at all imo. They have this certain badass characteristic about them that I really love.

• Members

It depends on the amp and the pedal.

I'll take a cranked fender champ from the 50's over a lovepedal les lius.

But a cranked Marshall MG can't beat a crunch box.

:facepalm:

Obviously no one here except you was thinking of a POS solid state amp.

• Members

when i had my marshall 1987xl plexi... that thing cranked sounded absolutley amazing. it was just too loud
:(
i had things falling of shelves.. it wasnt pretty.

It'd be dumb to buy an amp like that and play it anywhere else but an arena. The 2061x is a much better alternative if you are wanting to hear that classic Marshall sound at moderately low volumes.

• Members

I easily prefer my pedal dirt over my amp cranked. Of course my amp is a Blues Deluxe, and it sounds great clean, but the overdrive is OK, good for blues, but not so much for rock. Also, my dirt pedals {censored}in rock. Try a Keeler Designs Push, and especially for all of the studio/home/small venue players, this pedal makes my BD sound like a cranked Marshall or Mesa depending on settings.

I also can't get dirt sounds from my amp that my Lunar Module and Musket can do, so there's that too.

But yeah, really good overdrive/dirt pedals can sometimes be preferable to amp dirt, depends as always, on the venue, amp, and what you're trying to achieve tone wise. For the money, I don't think my rig could get any better right now.

• Members

just to be clear, we're talking about a tube amp being driven to power tube distortion rather than a tube amp's dirty channel using the amp's preamp distortion, right?

Because lately I find myself liking pedal distortion better than my amps' preamp distortions. They just seem to cut through a live mix better. But, a tube amp driven to power tube distortion responds and seems to sing in a way that pedals or the amp's preamp distortion won't do. It's rare to be able to play that loud though, even in a live setting. My smallest amps are 30 watt 1x12 combos and I can't turn them up loud enough to get power tube distortion even in the larger clubs we play. So, I have to settle for either pedals or the amp's dirty channel preamp distortion.

• Members

just to be clear, we're talking about a tube amp being driven to power tube distortion rather than a tube amp's dirty channel using the amp's preamp distortion, right?

Because lately I find myself liking pedal distortion better than my amps' preamp distortions. They just seem to cut through a live mix better. But, a tube amp driven to power tube distortion responds and seems to sing in a way that pedals or the amp's preamp distortion won't do. It's rare to be able to play that loud though, even in a live setting. My smallest amps are 30 watt 1x12 combos and I can't turn them up loud enough to get power tube distortion even in the larger clubs we play. So, I have to settle for either pedals or the amp's dirty channel preamp distortion.

The trick I found is to turn the cab and have it face the other way or a wall. From there just mic it. You can turn your amp up louder than if it were facing the crowd. Also, isolation cabs allow you to crank your amp up at home.

• Members

It'd be dumb to buy an amp like that and play it anywhere else but an arena. The 2061x is a much better alternative if you are wanting to hear that classic Marshall sound at moderately low volumes.

yeah i sold the plexi a month after i got it.. i tehn bought a 2061x soultone clone. it sounded pretty cool but it was too muddy for me. i needed some better clean sounds and i just couldn't find them in that amp. i got lucky and traded it for my silverface princeton reverb and havnt looked back! the natural overdrive on it is suprisingly good.. the cleans are to die for and throw a pedal in front and you can't beat it. and i have my jcm800 also incase i want some marshall crunch

Archived