Keep my Carbon Copy or sell it and keep my Memory Boy?

Unreachable

• Members

Yea, so I my Memory Boy just came in at the Long and McQuade I ordered it at. Currently I have the Carbon Copy and I can't find any cons against it. It's a really solid delay. I don't need 2 delays, so I'm planning on selling one of them. Which one should I sell guys?

• Members

He says it's a memory boy. The first day I had my memory boy I knew my carbon copy was toast. I actually sold it on craigslist the same day. They're actually very similar delays, but the memory boy has less "clock noise" and has more features. I'd wait until you can put them side by side, but you might want to take a pic of the carbon copy for your craigslist ad.

They're both real good budget analog delays, but the EHX had the edge on the MXR in my opinion. I was a die hard carbon copy user for about a year.

• Members

Sorry I misread. I would still keep the carbon copy. I am spooked by all the failing EHX pedals I am seeing around me.

I definitely see where you're coming from. There has been a few folks with issues lately. EHX stuff has always been pretty solid as far as I know, but there has been a very slight, possibly even negligable (sp?) rise in pedals dying. The memory boy is the first pedal I've owned from the XO line and it's running solid. Cramming all those components into a small enclosure does make you wonder about quality though, doesn't it?

• Members

Yup! Way to many... I like knowing my pedals aren't about to break before I take them to a gig.

A little pessimistic, huh? It isn't going anywhere. Built like a rock, like almost all EHX Pedals. There's a reason there are so many vintage EHX pedals around that are still working :lol:

I say keep the Memory Boy. Modulation Wave control, speed control, expression pedal control, better delay voicing, and a better taper blend control all point to the Memory Boy in my book.

• Members

better delay voicing, and a better taper blend control

Not so sure about these...

I agree with everything else you said though. The delays sounded very similar to me, but the CC had just a bit of white noise during the repeats. I found the CC much easier to dial in a good mix.

MB still reigns supreme though.

• Members

I had all three and ended up keeping the Carbon Copy. I really thought it did what I needed better, mostly better slapback and oscillation.

Just A/B them and keep whatever suits your needs best.

For me personally the Memory Toy/Boy just didn't sound as good. The Memory Boy was a lot of fun though, and it did do some pretty wacky stuff and I could see where this would work well for some. The Toy however really wasn't anything special and sounded really thin and mushy.

• Members

He says it's a memory
boy
. The first day I had my memory boy I knew my carbon copy was toast. I actually sold it on craigslist the same day. They're actually very similar delays, but the memory boy has less "clock noise" and has more features. I'd wait until you can put them side by side, but you might want to take a pic of the carbon copy for your craigslist ad.

They're both real good budget analog delays, but the EHX had the edge on the MXR in my opinion. I was a die hard carbon copy user for about a year.

Clock noise on the carbon copy? Ive never noticed much with mine. Clock noise is the reason I dont have a memory man anymore. Did they fix it with the new ones?

• Members

I didn't realize that EHX has been having quality control issues lately, but I will say that my Memory Boy failed 1 week into our tour in September, which was about 2 weeks after I bought it. It was a drag because I didn't have a backup, so I had to go sans delay for 4 weeks. I'm hoping to send it back to EHX today.

• Members

The only issue I've ever had with an EHX pedal was my deluxe electric mistress. The switch was just bad and wore out over time. I replaced it myself but used another cheap switch so now I need to do it again. I switched it out about 8 years ago though.

never an issue with my dmm, smm or smmh

I do get some high pitched whine from my smmh though. I'm wondering if that is a power supply issue though.

• Members

I am a diehard Carbon Copy user. I am still interested in picking up a memory toy/boy but I want to hear some youtube comparison videos. It's always great to stack two delays. It's even better if you have two different delays ;)

• Members

Thanks for the really informative replies! I'm probably going to sell the Carbon Copy. Don't get me wrong, it's a great delay, and I hate to sell it, but the Memory Boy has a lot more modulation options along with the standard analog delay.

Have you played the memory boy yet?

• Members

I do get some high pitched whine from my smmh though. I'm wondering if that is a power supply issue though.

I had that when I daisy chained my SMMH. Changed my power routing and it cleared up.

As for the Memory Boy vs Carbon Copy, I own a MB and I love it. I enjoyed the CC, but took the MB over it because of the options and I preferred the sound of the repeats.

Archived