Barber Dirty Bomb

LR Weizel

• Members

So I resolved my dirt box dilemna a while back, it was between the Crunch Box and SCOD, then the Dirty Bomb exploded it's way into the equation. I ended up getting the Dirty Bomb.

And I'm pretty glad I did. It seems to cop a lot of the same kind of hot rodded Marshall tones the Crunch Box does, and some of the more squishy mid heavy sounds of the SCOD, as well as some great lower gain Fendery tones and some really heavy {censored}. My guitar isn't really voiced for metal so I had to roll back the tone knob a little, I think if I played around with it a bit more I might get a Dimebaggish sound(A lot of people seem to get it for this, given it's similarity to some Randall amps).

Unfortunately given the Fender and Mesa-ish tones it cops, I end up doing a lot of horrible blues/metal wank, the kind I bitch about there being too much of in gear demos. But it's okay, it's actually a really good pedal for that, so I'll excuse myself this time. Also, I have a poor set up so the guitar was at a silly angle to my body making playing at all quite annoying.

http://www.box.net/shared/mny3kgsvnj

I went on to do some low gain sounds after that but they got cut off. I tried to do it again, but I had the tone knob rolled down most of the time without realising it (durr).

It does a nice Steve Jones-ish tone if you play around with it(Which is what got cut off), if you have a good mid control on your amp it'd be a lot better though since the DB doesn't really get into that liquidy bumped mid sound, it has that more haughty, airy bumped mid sound(which I normally dislike but it does it really well).

http://www.box.net/shared/1dqjrl4fjz

It's great being able to cop such huge tones out of a $99 dirt box and a 6.5" Solid State amp. I imagine this would sound ridiculous through a 12" cab or full stack.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Put it this way I wouldn't want you demoing my pedals. No hard feelings.

:lol: Myself I thought it was a very crappy sounding, cheaply made pedal.

get a used 30.00 tech xxl. I have one its a great distortion pedal when I am not using my amps distortion. :)

• Members

:lol:
Myself I thought it was a very crappy sounding, cheaply made pedal.

get a used 30.00 tech xxl. I have one its a great distortion pedal when I am not using my amps distortion.
:)

I'm all about constructive criticism, and it sounds like your able to serve up some suggestions about build quality. Let me know what you think was poor quality, and we will try to make it better.

dirtybomb001.jpg

• Members

I'm all about constructive criticism, and it sounds like your able to serve up some suggestions about build quality. Let me know what you think was poor quality, and we will try to make it better.

dirtybomb001.jpg

that post made me want to try one. ha

• Members

dirtybomb001.jpg

Hey Dave, thanks for making this awesome pedal :)

Where do you think I should have the Trim pot set for using it through my Lunchbox? The Lunchbox is kinda bright, and it has a small(6.5") speaker so not a lot of low end. What kind of ext cab would be good to use with the DB?

• Members

Put it this way I wouldn't want you demoing my pedals. No hard feelings.

Then don't say anything, honestly. I don't have the patience for learning or writing riffs at the moment so I just play whatever comes into my head, which is usually random stuff I'm trying to figure out so it's stuck in my head. It's fun that way. It won't ruin the sound of the pedal if I miss a note or two.

• Members

Hey Dave, thanks for making this awesome pedal
:)

Where do you think I should have the Trim pot set for using it through my Lunchbox? The Lunchbox is kinda bright, and it has a small(6.5") speaker so not a lot of low end. What kind of ext cab would be good to use with the DB?

That amp looks pretty cool! I would probably set the internal trim for the most "thump" that the amp can handle, without getting loose or less defined. Extension cabs are a matter of taste, but a Texas Heat from Emi sounds great and is low on the $$. :thu:

• Members

Eminence make great speakers alright. I have a Copperhead lying around, I put it in my AD30VT but unfortunately it still didn't sound too right, but it did wonders for demuffling some of the sounds. I took it out because I'm thinking of selling the AD30VT, but it might be a better selling point if I put it back in. I don't think it'd work too well with the Dirty Bomb though, except for the lower gain Fendery sounds.

The Dirty Bomb is definitely great my main dirt at the moment, I was thinking of getting another good Clean amp as well as the Lunchbox, has anyone tried a Dirty Bomb through the AC4TV? How did it go?

• Members

Then don't say anything, honestly. I don't have the patience for learning or writing riffs at the moment so I just play whatever comes into my head, which is usually random stuff I'm trying to figure out so it's stuck in my head. It's fun that way. It won't ruin the sound of the pedal if I miss a note or two.

Its the way that you recorded it.:eek:

• Members

I only really have this {censored}ty USB Condenser mic. I dunno if I had it too close from the amp or too upside down or what since I'm not used to using condensers. I think it's sounds okay it's just missing some high end. There's not much interesting going in with that frequency band anyway.

• Members

dirtybomb001.jpg

GOOD GAWD! Mr. Barber, you sir have THE greatest pedal interiors ever! Still can't believe you get that kinda quality for $100.

I'll definitely be gettin' an LTD SR soon.

• Members

With a name like dirty bomb it should scream, thats why I felt I thought I had to try it out. When I got it, just looking at it, the knobs for one, just looked cheap. To me the sound was thin, no balls at all. IMO

Now the direct drive in which I used before, was the reason I bought it. I did like that pedal and heard good things about the small Fry. I was disappointed with this one.

Sorry, I just could not get over the Tech xxl being a better metal pedal and looks better, a used 25.00 pedal.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/xxl.html

:wave:

• Members

With a name like dirty bomb it should scream, thats why I felt I thought I had to try it out. When I got it, just looking at it, the knobs for one, just looked cheap. To me the sound was thin, no balls at all. IMO

Now the direct drive in which I used before, was the reason I bought it. I did like that pedal and heard good things about the small Fry. I was disappointed with this one.

Sorry, I just could not get over the Tech xxl being a better metal pedal and looks better, a used 25.00 pedal.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/xxl.html

It isn't a perfect match for every guitar and amp, but I've used it with a number of them and it has plenty of balls. And as far as "cheaply made," that's some straight up slander right there, Barber has some of the best build quality in the industry across his whole line. You look at the knobs and say the pedal is cheaply made? Christ.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as far as just whether you liked something or not. But I wonder how well you understood the pedal. It has a very unconventional EQ structure that isn't intuitive. If you have the treble at 1-2 and the bass at 3-4 with the mids switch on flat, it isn't like other pedals where you'd have a really weak sound. That would instead be a fairly chunky, mid-boosted and full tone. And if you decided to park the treble at noon or higher and were frustrated with the thinness of the sound, then you misunderstood the EQ. Are you familiar with Baxandall equalization circuits?

• Members

When I got it, just looking at it, the knobs for one, just looked cheap.

Ahhh knobs, I'll keep my eyes open for cooler ones. I really like the knobs on the unit, and we have not had failures of the knobs. I think they are the same knobs on the awesome Zendrive that Hermida builds. I wish there were loads of knobs available in every size and shaft format, I like the DB knobs, but I understand personal choice and we encourage people to do things their way. We use a standard 1/4" shaft pot on our pedals, and the knob is held in place with a set screw. You can use a small screwdriver to loosen these set screws. After you have removed the original knobs (this can take 4-5 minutes), you can attach the knobs of your choice by using the same screw driver that was used to take the stock knobs off. Knobs often cost less than $1 per knob and are available from Mouser and Small Bear Electronics...Maybe Ebay! :eek:

I thought maybe "cheaply made pedal" might go beyond knob choice. I understand your desire to get a knob that suites your personality, best of luck in your quest!

Your comments about "thin and no balls" are noted, I'll see if anybody else with good ears agrees, if they do, we will look into it. Thanks again for your comments about both build quality and sound, I'll do my best to improve our products based on all comments we get.

Best of luck, glad to hear you got something that worked better, and at a much better price than I am able to offer! That is a win/win for you.

:thu:

• Members

Ahhh knobs, I'll keep my eyes open for cooler ones. I really like the knobs on the unit, and we have not had failures of the knobs. I think they are the same knobs on the awesome Zendrive that Hermida builds. I wish there were loads of knobs available in every size and shaft format, I like the DB knobs, but I understand personal choice and we encourage people to do things their way. We use a standard 1/4" shaft pot on our pedals, and the knob is held in place with a set screw. You can use a small screwdriver to loosen these set screws. After you have removed the original knobs (this can take 4-5 minutes), you can attach the knobs of your choice by using the same screw driver that was used to take the stock knobs off. Knobs often cost less than $1 per knob and are available from Mouser and Small Bear Electronics...Maybe Ebay!
:eek:

I thought maybe "cheaply made pedal" might go beyond knob choice. I understand your desire to get a knob that suites your personality, best of luck in your quest!

Your comments about "thin and no balls" are noted, I'll see if anybody else with good ears agrees, if they do, we will look into it. Thanks again for your comments about both build quality and sound, I'll do my best to improve our products based on all comments we get.

Best of luck, glad to hear you got something that worked better, and at a
much
better price than I am able to offer! That is a win/win for you.

:thu:

Pro'd

• Members

Awww, come on now. The tech 21 stuff isn't bad by any means. They make a great product just as Barber does.

That's the first time I've heard someone call a Barber product cheap though. The physical build quality of anything I've touched with the Barber name on it was rock solid, and I've yet to play a Barber pedal that didn't slay me. Cheap knobs, hehe. You're a knob.

I've been eyeing the dirty bomb since it was released. This thread may have just pushed me over the edge. NPD tomorrow yeeeehawwww!

• Members

Comparison gut shots(Burn Unit, Fulldrive)

gutshots001.jpg

gutshots002.jpg

No offense to Mr. Fuller. The Fulldrive is my favorite overdrive. With that being said anyone that criticizes Dave's quality really should go out and buy a BYOC kit. Do little soldering yourselves. Dave's pedals are top notch components some best soldering work in industry period.

Archived