Bobby D does the BJFe Honeybee versus the Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD shootout!

Bobby D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
yep....i sadly boxed it and shipped it back to the owner an hour ago
:cry:

here's a REAL head-scratcher.....

at an acoustic gig this weekend, i did my soundcheck. plugged in, and all of a sudden my acoustic sounded GREAT. i checked the console and the mix to see if anything had changed.

then i noticed.....the honeybee was ON!

the piezo equipped acoustic doesn't have a TON of output. it drove the honeybee just enough to make it WARM AND DEEP AND SWEET AND RICH.

i swear, it sounded like i was running my acoustic thru a nice $2000 tube preamp into the board.

the honeybee was only SLIGHTLY overdriving, not enough to be "ragged", just enough to be warm.

erksin is right......i think the honeybee is the ULTIMATE "amp in a can" pedal. i don't think i have ever played one BETTER at really reacting and sounding like a REAL AMP.

I get the same thing playing my old '58 Dano through the HBOD - the pickup is only like 3k so it barely drives it even if I smack hard on the strings. It sounds like I'm playing though an old blue check Ampeg - warm but with nice shimmery highs and a full low end.

The HBOD is a lifer pedal if there ever was one. :thu:

• Members

I A/B'd my HB with the SFT. They sounded very similar, though the SFT had a tad more fuzziness to it and the mids were a little different. The honey bee is still the champ though.

Yeah - the SFT has a slightly fuzzier high end and the mids are fixed at the Ampeg freq. But the feel and playing response are very close IMO.

• Members

i really had a good time exploring both pedals.

and the honeybee? the mystique and hype around that pedal is WELL DESERVED. it's a freaking awesome pedal. i didn't want to send it back :cry:

sweet honey gets CLOSE, but not quite. however, it's a great OD pedal anyhow....

but that honeybee with ACOUSTIC guitar made a believer out of me. just like erksin said about using it with his Dano.....it's like having a NICE tube preamp input channel that you are running into.

and the nature knob is THE {censored}. :thu:

Archived