BOSS PS-2 Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay

thom.inertia

• Members

Okay, so I recently purchased a BOSS PS-2. Thing is, I think it might be broken; I've heard that the PS-2 does really nice oscillations (like at the end of Slowdive's "Souvlaki Space Station" and of Mono's "Pure as Snow (Trails of the Winter Storm)"), but mine doesn't seem to oscillate at all, on any of the delay or pitch shifting settings, even with the feedback control completely maxed out.

For example, when attempting to coax a vague Mono sound out of it (Balance slightly to the right of 12 o'clock, Feedback full, Delay variable, Mode 3: 2s delay) all I get is a very quiet delay which fades out after about a second, maybe less.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it? Any PS-2 owners have the same problem?

• Members

For example, when attempting to coax a vague Mono sound out of it (Balance slightly to the right of 12 o'clock, Feedback full, Delay variable, Mode 3: 2s delay) all I get is a very quiet delay which fades out after about a second, maybe less....

i'm not sure if it's the case with the PS-2, but i've used plenty of digital delay pedals where there is a trimpot inside to set the number of repeats... if it's set too low it'll restrict the number of repeats and prevent oscillation; if it's too high you'll get too many repeats (even with the feedback control set low) and it may oscillate uncontrollably...

like i said, i don't know if the PS-2 has a trimpot inside but it could be worth having a look. :idk:

• Members

i had a PS3 and that didn't either, don't think it's a fault with the pedal i think their just designed not to

Around 7:40, you begin to hear an oscillating PS-2 to the right of the stage, continuing until its the last thing to fade out at the end of the music:

I quote the PS-2 manual:

In the Delay mode, this knob can change the repeats of the delay. Rotating it clockwise will increase the number of repeats. At the fully counterclockwise position, a single delay is obtained. As you rotate the Feedback knob clockwise, the PS-2 may oscillate.

• Members

i'm not sure if it's the case with the PS-2, but i've used plenty of digital delay pedals where there is a trimpot inside to set the number of repeats... if it's set too low it'll restrict the number of repeats and prevent oscillation; if it's too high you'll get too many repeats (even with the feedback control set low) and it may oscillate uncontrollably...

like i said, i don't know if the PS-2 has a trimpot inside but it could be worth having a look.
:idk:

self-quote as i appear to be being ignored. :cry:

• Members

stupid question, but does the number of repeats rise when you turn it anti-clockwise?

i presume you would have noticed if that was the case, but it's worth throwing out there..

ignore me. no, it has min and max labelled on the pedal.. :facepalm:

i blame the drugs.

• Members

Around 7:40, you begin to hear an oscillating PS-2 to the right of the stage, continuing until its the last thing to fade out at the end of the music:

Yeah. Mine will do that very easily.

Balance Maxed

Feedback maxed

Mode 4 manual adjust

Play with throwing the manual up and down while adjusting the FB to keep it in control.

• Members

:confused:

That's odd. My PS-3 doesn't oscillate, no matter what. It just repeats the signal infinitely. And when you try tweaking the delay time it just chokes up and stops repeating the sound, unless you play something else.

thats right, its the ps-2 that gets pretty crazy.

• Members

:confused:

Hmm...

My PS2 with the Balance and FB maxed definitely starts to layer on itself, build up (that's why I was sayin to play with the FB to "keep it in control") and then when you adjust the manual pitch shifter, it begins oscillating the range of pitches, sweep whatever.

Strange it doesn't seem to work that way all the time. That's 50% the character of this pedal for me. It's very pronounced and easy to do:idk:

• Members

I can't remember where i read it but it seems as if they made two different versions of the ps-2; the first one had some minor background noise issue even when turned off or something similar, then they adjusted that thing in the later production runs.

Maybe the first ones were able to oscillate while the other ones were not.

Nevermind: here's the page i was talking about http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/PS-2.xml

maybe, if you check your serial numbers..

Archived