Who's still rockin a BOSS RE-20?

daysofspeed

• Members

My DMM is seeing tonnes of use with my band and it sounds amazing but I'm getting a bit tired of having to change settings 6 / 7 times a gig and also could use 2 different delays in some songs.

Ive tried a DD-7 but it didnt really do it for me, so im thinking of picking up a used RE-20.

Who's still loving theirs or have you sold it and moved onto something else? If so why?

• Members

I had one, liked it, then traded it for something else that interested me. Picked another one up a few months ago, liked it as well, but now I'm trying to sell it to raise cash for something else :lol:

I like them, they are great sounding delays. My advice if you find one is to throw it in a true bypass loop. My latest one isn't that noisy unless I daisy chain it, but I still have it in a loop because then the input volume doesn't affect the rest of my pedals until I engage the loop.

• Members
I had one, liked it, then traded it for something else that interested me. Picked another one up a few months ago, liked it as well, but now I'm trying to sell it to raise cash for something else
:lol:

I like them, they are great sounding delays. My advice if you find one is to throw it in a true bypass loop. My latest one isn't that noisy unless I daisy chain it, but I still have it in a loop because then the input volume doesn't affect the rest of my pedals until I engage the loop.

100% This^
:love:'d mine but it sucks in a chain and the clock noise is a pure loss. Its a great sounding easy to use delay/echo on its own, but with other effects on the power supply not so great. replaced mine with a Skreddy Echo :love: no regrets.

• Members

I was hoping to get away with daisy chaining it, i can handle a bit of noise as long as its not excessive.

I've read about the input volume thing, and that it is a quirk of the RE-201. Ideally I would prefer not to put it in a loop due to lack of space (pt junior). Is it really that much of a deal-breaker?

• Members

I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker at all. The first go around I had with the RE-20 I had it daisy chained and just thrown in line with everything else on my board, and it never really bothered me. It's just that if someday you do try it in a loop and on an isolated power supply, you can tell a difference. I like having mine in a loop because when I turn it on it just seems like my sound goes a little more lo-fi, but I love that, and a lot of that too is the way I've dialed the pedal in. It's just the character of the pedal, which I think is very cool.

What other effects would you be using with the Space Echo, and where would you be planning on placing it in the chain?

• Members

Still have mine and have no plans of selling it. It has become a very useful tool in the studio - have used it both in the effects loop on certain amps that have a decent effects loop - and as a stand alone for creating a backing track as well. I've even toyed around with it for trailing vocals. I guess my take on it is that it has more than enough bang for the buck that it's worth the price to me. Do I wish I could have gotten one used and saved some money? Yes of course. If you can find one used - it's a no brainer purchase. I stand by mine being worth the coin even tho I bought mine new so no regrets here at all. :cool:

• Members

it sounds like it'll fit the bill perfectly. Does anyone have any experience running this into the front of an amp thats breaking up? I use an AC15 and set it slightly dirty.

I run mine into my master volume JMP with no problem. Though I do have it in a loop, if you're going to run it into a dirty amp I'd recommend getting a loop for it just because you're going to be amplifying the clock noise and the pre on the pedal does color your sound a little.

• Members

I have no clock noise problem on my RE-20 and I have it daisy chained. It depends on the buffer directly preceding the RE-20. I have a Boss OD-3 before mine. If I put my Tube King before the RE-20 I get some clock noise and that's on it's own power supply, with OD-3 and RE-20 daisy chained :confused:

• Members
it sounds like it'll fit the bill perfectly. Does anyone have any experience running this into the front of an amp thats breaking up? I use an AC15 and set it slightly dirty.

Now that I've sold mine to you, I feel free to slate it :D

Nah, it's a decent delay pedal, and I speak as a man who generally hates delay pedals. The love affair I am having with the Timefactor means the RE-20 isn't getting used.

Anyhow, it'll be with you on Tuesday. Enjoy!

Archived